Ham balls are a classic comfort food dish comprised of diced ham, bread crumbs, eggs, and spices, all mixed together and fried or baked. While ham balls make a delicious main course, they can be greatly enhanced with the addition of a few delicious sides.
Here are 20 sides that pair perfectly with ham balls and will make your meal complete:
1. Honey Mustard Sauce: This sweet and tangy honey mustard sauce is the perfect accompaniment to ham balls. To make it, simply whisk together equal parts of mayonnaise and yellow mustard with a tablespoon of honey. For an extra kick, add a pinch of garlic powder and ground black pepper.
2. Spicy Ketchup Sauce: This spicy ketchup sauce will add a kick to your balls. To make it, mix together a cup of ketchup, a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce, a teaspoon of garlic powder, and a pinch of cayenne pepper.
3. Cranberry Sauce: Cranberry sauce is an excellent way to balance out the savory flavors of ham balls. To make it, combine one 12-ounce package of cranberries with ¾ cup of sugar and a cup of water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for about 10 minutes until the cranberries have burst.
4. Apple Slices: Adding apple slices to your balls is a great way to experience a sweet and crunchy flavor sensation. Sprinkle some cinnamon on top and finish it off with a splash of lemon juice for a delightful treat.
5. Orange Wedges: Add a zesty burst to your ham balls with orange wedges! Serve with a honey glaze and a dusting of ground cinnamon for a flavor combo that will tantalize your taste buds.
7. Sharp Cheddar: Sharp cheddar is a great way to add a robust flavor to your ham balls. Serve it with crackers or slices of toasted bread.
8. Gouda: Gouda is an excellent choice for imparting a nutty flavor to the ham balls that you make. It is traditionally served with sliced apples and a sprinkle of honey.
10. Broccoli Salad: Broccoli salad is a great way to add a crunchy texture to your ham balls. To make it, combine one head of broccoli with one cup of diced red onion, one cup of shredded cheddar cheese, one cup of bacon bits, and one cup of ranch dressing.
11. Spinach Salad: Ham balls with a side of spinach salad is a smart and nutritious meal option. Put together one bag of spinach, one cup of sliced mushrooms, one cup of diced red onion, one cup of crumbled feta cheese, and one cup of balsamic vinaigrette.
13. Apple Cider: Sweetening your ham balls with apple cider is a terrific idea. A cinnamon stick and an orange slice would go well with it.
14. White Wine: Ham balls marinated in white wine have a clean, refreshing taste. Add a slice of lemon and some fresh thyme to the dish before serving.
15. Sangria: To give your ham balls a fruity twist, try soaking them in some sangria. Two bottles of red wine, two cups of orange juice, one cup of brandy, and one cup of diced seasonal fruit are all you need to prepare this delicious drink.
16. Dinner Rolls: Dinner rolls are a great way to add a buttery flavor to your ham balls. Serve them with a pat of butter and a sprinkle of salt.
17. Garlic Toast: Use garlic bread as a tasty garnish for your ham balls. Melted butter is used to coat baguette slices, which are then topped with garlic powder and grated Parmesan.
18. Cornbread: Your ham balls will benefit from the addition of cornbread’s sweet flavor in a big way. It is best served with a pat of butter and some honey drizzled over it.
19. Apple Pie: You can give your ham balls a flavor that is equal parts sweet and sour by using apple pie as an ingredient. You should serve it with a dollop of vanilla ice cream and some caramel sauce drizzled on top.
20. Chocolate Cake: The addition of chocolate cake to your ham balls is an excellent method to give them a more decadent flavor. It is traditionally served with a dollop of whipped cream and a dusting of chocolate powder on top.
Once you’ve enjoyed your ham balls, any leftovers should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. To reheat, place in the oven at 350°F for about 10 minutes. Leftovers can also be frozen for up to three months. To reheat, place in the oven at 350°F for about 20 minutes.