The Pioneer Woman’s Tex Mex Chicken Casserole is a delicious and easy dish that is perfect for a hearty weeknight dinner. This casserole is made with tender chicken, black beans, corn, and a variety of spices, all layered between corn tortillas and topped with shredded cheese.
This Tex-Mex inspired dish is sure to please even the pickiest eaters with its great flavors and bold spices. It can be easily modified for your dietary needs and great for meal prepping. Serve it with a side of sour cream, salsa, and avocado for a complete meal that is both delicious and satisfying.
Try More Recipes:
- Pioneer Woman Italian Chicken Soup
- Buffalo Chicken Casserole Pioneer Woman
- Pioneer Woman Chicken Parmesan Casserole
Why You Will Love This Tex Mex Chicken Casserole Pioneer Woman
There are many reasons why you will love The Pioneer Woman’s Tex Mex Chicken Casserole:
- Flavor: The Tex-Mex inspired spices used in this recipe give the casserole a bold and delicious flavor that will please even the pickiest eaters. The combination of chicken, black beans, corn, and cheese creates a balance of textures and tastes that make this dish satisfying and comforting.
- Easy to make: This recipe is easy to prepare and requires minimal effort. It is a great recipe for busy weeknights or for meal prepping.
- Versatile: You can easily customize this recipe to suit your dietary needs or preference. For example, you can use gluten-free or low-carb tortillas, or add some more vegetables to make it more healthy.
- Family-friendly: This is a great recipe to make for the whole family, kids will love the cheese and the chicken, and will enjoy the different flavors that are present.
- Leftovers: The recipe makes enough for leftovers, so you can enjoy it the next day or freeze it for a later date. The flavors only gets better as it sit in the fridge.
What Is Tex Mex Chicken Casserole?
Tex-Mex Chicken Casserole, also known as Tex-Mex Chicken Bake, is a casserole dish that combines Tex-Mex cuisine with the traditional casserole format. It is made by layering ingredients such as cooked chicken, black beans, corn, cheese, and tortillas in a baking dish, and then topped with a savory sauce or cheese. It is then baked until the cheese is melted and bubbly, and the flavors are well blended.
The dish usually include Tex-Mex seasoning like cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper and paprika to give the dish a bold taste. It’s a comfort food, hearty and delicious. It’s a family-friendly dish that is perfect for weeknight dinners and can also be a great option for feeding a crowd. It is usually served with toppings such as sour cream, salsa, and avocado for a complete meal.
What Is Tex Mex Chicken Casserole Pioneer Woman Ingredients?
- 4 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.75 oz) can creamed corn
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
For Topping (optional):
How To Make Tex Mex Chicken Casserole Pioneer Woman
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius). Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked chicken, black beans, creamed corn, onion, bell peppers, garlic, chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper.
- Layer the tortillas in the bottom of the prepared baking dish, covering the bottom of the dish.
- Pour half of the chicken mixture over the tortillas, spreading it evenly.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of shredded cheese on top of the chicken mixture.
- Repeat layering process with the remaining tortillas, chicken mixture, and cheese.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the casserole is heated through.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown.
- Let the casserole cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Garnish with diced tomatoes, diced avocado, diced green onion, fresh cilantro, sour cream and salsa if desired.
Note: If you prefer a creamier texture, you can add 1 cup of heavy cream or sour cream to the chicken mixture before layering.
Here are a few recipe tips to help you make The Pioneer Woman’s Tex Mex Chicken Casserole:
- Cook the chicken beforehand: You can use cooked chicken breast, rotisserie chicken or leftover cooked chicken, that way you save some time in preparation.
- Season to taste: The recipe calls for specific measurements of spices, but it’s always a good idea to taste the filling before baking and adjust the seasonings to your liking.
- Use a variety of bell peppers: The recipe calls for red and green bell peppers, but you can use whatever bell peppers you have on hand. Mixing different colors of bell peppers will add more color and flavor to the casserole.
- Make it creamier: If you prefer a creamier texture, you can add 1 cup of heavy cream or sour cream to the chicken mixture before layering.
- Garnish with fresh toppings: Top the casserole with fresh toppings such as diced tomatoes, diced avocado, diced green onion, fresh cilantro, sour cream, or salsa to give it a fresh burst of flavor and to make the casserole look more appealing.
- Bake in a preheated oven: Make sure that the oven is preheated to the correct temperature before baking the casserole. This will ensure that the casserole cooks evenly and that the cheese gets nice and melty.
- Check doneness: It’s always a good idea to check the casserole a few minutes before the suggested cook time, and then check it every 5-7 minutes after. This way you can gauge if it needs a bit more time or if it is done.
- Let it cool: Before serving, let the casserole sit for a few minutes to cool down and firm up. This will make it easier to serve and will also help the flavors to meld together better.
Following these tips will help you make a flavorful, perfectly cooked, and satisfying Tex Mex Chicken Casserole that will become a family favorite.
What To Serve With Tex Mex Chicken Casserole?
Here are a few ideas of what to serve with The Tex Mex Chicken Casserole:
- Rice: Serve the casserole with a side of white or brown rice. This will help to soak up any extra sauce and will also help to balance out the bold flavors of the casserole.
- Salad: A simple side salad with mixed greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, and a simple vinaigrette can be the perfect complement to the rich and hearty flavors of the casserole.
- Salsa: Salsa is a classic Tex-Mex topping and is a great way to add a bit of heat and acidity to the casserole. You can serve it with the casserole or use it as a topping.
- Guacamole: Guacamole is a creamy and delicious topping that can help to balance the spiciness of the casserole. It can also be served as a dip for tortilla chips.
- Sour Cream: Sour cream is another classic Tex-Mex topping and it’s perfect for adding a cool and creamy contrast to the casserole.
- Crusty Bread: A warm, crusty bread is perfect for soaking up the sauce and cheese in the casserole.
- Grilled or Roasted Vegetables: A side of grilled or roasted vegetables like zucchini, bell peppers, eggplant or asparagus can add a fresh and healthy aspect to the meal.
- Refried Beans: A side of refried beans can provide a creamy and comforting contrast to the casserole and helps to absorb the casserole flavors.
By serving The Tex Mex Chicken Casserole with any of these sides, you’ll have a full and delicious meal that everyone will love.
How To Store Tex Mex Chicken Casserole?
Here are a few tips on how to store The Pioneer Woman’s Tex Mex Chicken Casserole:
It’s important to note that freezing can cause some changes to the texture and taste of the casserole. The casserole can become dry, so it’s best to reheat it in a low temperature, and add a splash of chicken broth or cream on the casserole before reheating.
It’s a good idea to label the container with the date when it’s stored to ensure that you use it before it goes bad.
How To Reheat Tex Mex Chicken Casserole?
Here are a few tips on how to reheat The Pioneer Woman’s Tex Mex Chicken Casserole:
- Oven: One of the best ways to reheat the casserole is in the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius) and place the casserole in an oven-safe dish. Cover it with foil to prevent the cheese and toppings from getting too brown and bake it until it’s heated through, usually around 20-25 minutes, but it could take longer, depending on how cold the casserole is when you put it in the oven.
- Microwave: The casserole can also be reheated in the microwave. Place the casserole in a microwave-safe dish, cover it with a microwave-safe lid or plastic wrap, and heat it on high for about 3-5 minutes. Stir the casserole every minute or so to ensure even heating. But be careful because the cheese can become rubbery when reheated in the microwave.
- Slow cooker: You can also reheat the casserole in the slow cooker on low or medium-low heat for about 2-3 hours, or until heated through.
When reheating the casserole, you can add a little bit of milk or broth to the casserole to keep it from drying out, this will also make the casserole more creamy. Be sure to check the casserole every few minutes to ensure that it’s not overheating or drying out.
Can I use a different type of chicken for Tex Mex Chicken Casserole?
Yes, you can use any type of cooked chicken such as shredded rotisserie chicken or leftover grilled chicken.
Can I use a different type of cheese for Tex Mex Chicken Casserole?
Yes, you can use any type of cheese that you prefer. Some popular options are cheddar, Monterey Jack, pepper jack or a combination of them.
Can I make Tex Mex Chicken Casserole ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the casserole ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator or freezer before baking it.
How do I thaw frozen Tex Mex Chicken Casserole?
You can thaw frozen casserole in the refrigerator overnight or you can reheat it from frozen in the oven.
Can Tex Mex Chicken Casserole be made gluten-free or low carb?
Yes, you can make this casserole gluten-free by using gluten-free tortillas and gluten-free flour instead of all-purpose flour. To make it low carb you can replace the tortillas with cauliflower rice or zucchini noodles.
How can I make Tex Mex Chicken Casserole spicier or milder?
You can adjust the level of spice by using more or less of the spices listed in the recipe or by adding diced jalapenos or chili powder.
Try More Recipes:
- Pioneer Woman Chicken Noodle Casserole
- Jalapeno Popper Chicken Casserole Pioneer Woman
- Pioneer Woman French Onion Chicken Casserole
Tex Mex Chicken Casserole Pioneer Woman Nutrition Fact
|Nutrient||Amount per serving|
Image Source: Source