Steak and kidney pie is a classic British dish that has been enjoyed for centuries. The combination of tender chunks of beef and kidney, savory gravy, and flaky pastry crust makes it a comforting and hearty meal that is perfect for cold winter days. Jamie Oliver, the renowned British chef and restaurateur, has put his own spin on this beloved dish with his recipe for steak and kidney pie.
In this article, we will explore the ingredients and step-by-step instructions for making Jamie Oliver’s steak and kidney pie, so that you can enjoy this delicious dish in the comfort of your own home.
More Recipes From us:
- Cauliflower Risotto Jamie Oliver
- Cheese And Onion Pie Jamie Oliver
- Chicken Lasagne Recipe Jamie Oliver
💓 Why You’ll Love This Steak And Kidney Pie Jamie Oliver
There are many reasons why you’ll love this steak and kidney pie recipe by Jamie Oliver:
- Delicious flavor: The combination of beef and kidney in a savory gravy with vegetables and herbs creates a delicious and comforting flavor that is perfect for a cozy meal.
- Homemade pastry crust: This recipe includes instructions for making a homemade pastry crust that is buttery, flaky, and adds an extra layer of deliciousness to the dish.
- Make-ahead: This dish can be made ahead of time and reheated, which makes it a great option for meal prep or for entertaining guests.
- Comfort food: Steak and kidney pie is a classic comfort food that is perfect for cold winter days or for a cozy family dinner.
- Easy to customize: This recipe is easy to customize based on your personal preferences. You can adjust the seasoning, add or remove vegetables, or use a different type of meat if you prefer.
Overall, Jamie Oliver’s steak and kidney pie is a delicious and hearty dish that is perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re a fan of classic British cuisine or just looking for a comforting meal, you’re sure to love this recipe.
What Is Steak And Kidney Pie Jamie Oliver Recipe?
Steak and kidney pie is a classic British dish that consists of chunks of beef and kidneys in a savory gravy, baked in a pastry crust. Jamie Oliver, the renowned British chef and restaurateur, has put his own spin on this beloved dish with his recipe for steak and kidney pie.
- 2 pounds beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 lamb kidneys, trimmed and chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 pounds puff pastry
🔪How To Make Steak And Kidney Pie Jamie Oliver
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat some oil over medium-high heat. Add the beef and lamb kidney and cook until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery, and garlic, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and flour and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the beef broth, red wine, bay leaves, and thyme. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, then cover and transfer to the oven. Bake for 2-3 hours, until the beef is tender and the gravy is thickened.
- Remove the bay leaves and let the mixture cool slightly.
- Roll out the puff pastry on a floured surface to a thickness of 1/4 inch.
- Place the beef mixture into a large pie dish and cover with the puff pastry. Trim any excess pastry and brush with beaten egg.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown and puffed.
- Let the pie cool for a few minutes before serving.
Here are some helpful tips to keep in mind when making Jamie Oliver’s steak and kidney pie recipe:
🍴 What To Serve With Steak And Kidney Pie?
Steak and kidney pie is a hearty and filling dish that pairs well with a variety of sides. Here are some suggestions for what to serve with steak and kidney pie:
- Mashed Potatoes: Creamy mashed potatoes are a classic side dish that complements the rich flavors of the pie.
- Roasted Vegetables: Roasted root vegetables such as carrots, parsnips, and potatoes make a delicious and nutritious side dish.
- Peas: A side of sweet green peas provides a refreshing contrast to the savory flavors of the pie.
- Braised Greens: Cooked greens such as spinach, kale, or collard greens make a flavorful and healthy side dish.
- Salad: A light and fresh salad with a simple vinaigrette can help balance out the richness of the pie.
- Gravy: A side of extra gravy can be poured over the pie or used to moisten the mashed potatoes.
Enjoy your steak and kidney pie with any of these delicious sides for a satisfying and well-rounded meal.
🥶 How To Store Leftovers
Steak and kidney pie is a hearty and delicious dish that can be made in advance and enjoyed as leftovers. If you find yourself with extra pie, it’s important to store it properly to ensure that it stays fresh and safe to eat.
One option is to store the leftover pie in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Be sure to let the pie cool completely before transferring it to the container, and avoid stacking other items on top of it. Leftover steak and kidney pie can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
In The Freezer:
🌡️ How To Reheat Leftovers
Here are a few ways to reheat leftover steak and kidney pie:
- Oven: Preheat your oven to 350°F. Place the leftover pie on a baking sheet and cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the pie is heated through.
- Microwave: Place the leftover pie on a microwave-safe plate and cover with a damp paper towel. Heat on high for 2-3 minutes, or until the pie is heated through.
- Stovetop: Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add a small amount of butter or oil, and then add the leftover pie to the skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until the pie is heated through and the crust is crispy.
- Air Fryer: Preheat your air fryer to 350°F. Place the leftover pie in the air fryer basket and cook for 5-8 minutes, or until the pie is heated through and the crust is crispy.
Regardless of which method you choose, be sure to check the internal temperature of the pie with a meat thermometer. The temperature should be at least 165°F to ensure that it is safe to eat. Enjoy your reheated steak and kidney pie!
What types of meat are used in Steak and Kidney Pie?
The traditional Steak and Kidney Pie is made using cubed steak and diced kidney, usually of lamb or beef. It is possible to substitute other meats such as venison, pork, or turkey, but this is not as common.
How long does it take to cook Steak and Kidney Pie?
It takes approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes to cook a Steak and Kidney Pie. This includes the time to prepare the ingredients, assemble the pie, and bake it in the oven.
Is Steak and Kidney Pie suitable for vegetarians?
Steak and Kidney Pie is not suitable for vegetarians, as it contains meat. However, there are vegetarian versions of the dish available, using mushrooms or other vegetables instead of the steak and kidney.
Try More Recipes:
Steak And Kidney Pie Jamie Oliver Nutrition Fact
- Calories: 523
- Total Fat: 21.3g
- Saturated Fat: 11.2g
- Trans Fat: 0.4g
- Cholesterol: 52mg
- Sodium: 829mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 57.5g
- Dietary Fiber: 4.4g
- Sugars: 3.4g
- Protein: 20.3g