Slow cookers are a great way to make delicious, hearty meals without spending too much time in the kitchen. And when it comes to comfort food, nothing beats a classic like ham and beans. The Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond, has the perfect slow cooker recipe that takes the hassle out of meal-prep and leaves you with a delicious, family-friendly meal. In this article, we’ll take a look at Ree Drummond’s Slow Cooker Ham and Beans dish and how you can make it at home.
- Slow Cooker Chicken And Broccoli Pioneer Woman
- Chicken Cacciatore Slow Cooker Pioneer Woman
- Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Recipes
There are many reasons why you’ll love this Slow Cooker Ham and Beans Pioneer Woman recipe! Here are just a few:
- Convenience: The slow cooker does all the work for you, making this dish a convenient option for busy weeknights or lazy weekends.
- Flavorful: The ham and beans are cooked together in a delicious broth that’s infused with aromatic spices, creating a mouth-watering combination of flavors.
- Budget-Friendly: Ham and beans are affordable ingredients that go a long way, making this dish a great option for feeding a crowd or stretching your food budget.
- Hearty: This dish is filling and satisfying, making it a great option for a comforting and nutritious meal.
- Versatile: The ham and beans can be served on their own or over rice, mashed potatoes, or crusty bread.
- Freezer-Friendly: The leftovers can be stored in the freezer for later, making this dish a great option for meal prep or busy weekdays.
These are just a few of the reasons why you’ll love this Slow Cooker Ham and Beans Pioneer Woman recipe. Give it a try, and you’re sure to be a fan!
What Is Slow Cooker Ham And Beans Pioneer Woman Recipe?
The Slow Cooker Ham and Beans Pioneer Woman recipe is a hearty and comforting dish that’s made with simple ingredients and cooked in a slow cooker. It typically consists of dried beans, diced ham, onions, garlic, spices, and a flavorful broth. The ingredients are combined in a slow cooker and cooked on low heat for several hours, resulting in a tender and flavorful meal that’s perfect for a cozy dinner or a casual gathering with friends and family. This dish is versatile, budget-friendly, and can be customized to suit your taste preferences. It’s a great option for those who love comfort food and want a simple, yet delicious meal.
Slow Cooker Ham And Beans Pioneer Woman Ingredients
- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 8 cups water
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 ham bone or 1 pound diced ham
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
How To Make Slow Cooker Ham And Beans Pioneer Woman?
- Rinse and sort the navy beans. Place them in a slow cooker with 8 cups of water.
- Add the onion, garlic, salt, thyme, rosemary, black pepper, and bay leaves to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Add the ham bone or diced ham to the slow cooker. Pour in the chicken broth, apple cider vinegar, and molasses.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 6-8 hours or until the beans are tender.
- Remove the bay leaves and ham bone from the slow cooker. If using a ham bone, shred the meat and return it to the slow cooker.
- Serve hot with crusty bread or over rice. Enjoy!
Note: You can adjust the seasonings and spices to suit your taste preferences. If you prefer a thicker broth, you can mash some of the beans against the side of the slow cooker.
- Soak the Beans: Soaking the beans overnight can help reduce cooking time and prevent them from splitting.
- Use Ham Hock or Ham Bone: Adding a ham hock or ham bone to the slow cooker will infuse the beans with a rich, smoky flavor.
- Adjust the Seasonings: Feel free to adjust the seasonings to suit your taste preferences. You can add more salt, pepper, or thyme if you like.
- Add Aromatics: To add more flavor to the dish, consider adding diced carrots, celery, or bell peppers to the slow cooker.
- Use Low-Sodium Broth: Using low-sodium broth will help control the salt content of the dish.
- Check the Liquid Level: Check the liquid level during cooking and add more water if necessary. The beans should be covered by liquid during the entire cooking time.
- Don’t Stir Too Much: Avoid stirring the beans too much as it can cause them to break apart and become mushy.
- Serve with Cornbread: Serve the ham and beans with a warm, fluffy cornbread for a complete, satisfying meal.
What To Serve With Slow Cooker Ham And Beans?
- Jalapeno-Cheddar Cornbread Muffins
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Roasted Beet and Arugula Salad
- Sweet Potato Biscuits
- Sautéed Rainbow Chard with Raisins and Pine Nuts
- Grilled Zucchini with Lemon and Basil
- Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Avocado-Tomato Salsa with tortilla chips
- Spicy Pickled Carrots
- Creme Fraiche with Chives and a pinch of smoked paprika.
How To Store Slow Cooker Slow Cooker Ham And Beans?
- Cool the slow cooker ham and beans to room temperature before storing.
- Divide leftovers into airtight containers or resealable plastic bags, removing as much air as possible.
- Label the containers with the date and contents.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- To reheat, thaw in the refrigerator overnight if frozen and transfer to a saucepan or microwave-safe dish.
- Heat over medium heat on the stove or in the microwave until warmed through, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with desired toppings or sides. Enjoy!
How To Reheat Slow Cooker Ham And Beans?
- Warm up the slow cooker ham and beans on the stovetop, using a saucepan or Dutch oven.
- Add a splash of chicken or vegetable broth to help keep the beans moist and prevent drying out.
- Stir occasionally until heated through and bubbly.
- For an extra burst of flavor, stir in a handful of fresh herbs like thyme or rosemary.
- Serve over a bed of creamy grits or fluffy mashed potatoes for a hearty and comforting meal. Enjoy!
What kind of ham works best in this recipe?
Smoked ham hocks or ham shanks work well in this recipe, but you can also use leftover ham or ham bones.
Can I use dried beans instead of canned beans?
Yes, you can use dried beans but they will need to be soaked overnight and then simmered on the stovetop before being added to the slow cooker.
How long does it take to cook ham and beans in a slow cooker?
It usually takes 8-10 hours on low heat or 4-5 hours on high heat to cook ham and beans in a slow cooker.
How do I know when the beans are cooked?
When cooking beans, you can tell they are done when they are tender enough to easily be pierced with a fork. Additionally, if the beans are boiling, they should be soft enough to mash when pressed against the side of the pot. It is important to note that some beans take longer to cook than others, so it is best to refer to the specific cooking instructions for the beans you are using.
What can I do with the leftover ham bone?
There are a variety of delicious dishes that you can make with leftover ham bones. Some ideas include making soup, stew, beans, casseroles, and even risotto. You can also make stock with the ham bone by simmering it in water and adding vegetables, herbs, and spices. This stock can be used in a variety of dishes or frozen for later use.
Try More Recipes:
- Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Mac And Cheese
- Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Ribs And Slaw
- Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
- Pioneer Woman Pulled Pork Slow Cooker
Slow Cooker Ham And Beans Pioneer Woman Nutrition Fact
|Serving Size||1 cup|
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Total Carbohydrates||40 g|
|Dietary Fiber||8 g|