Poppy seeds have been known for centuries for their nutty flavor and unique texture, and now The Pioneer Woman is bringing them to life in her Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole. With creamy chicken, crunchy almonds, and a tangy sauce, this comforting casserole is sure to be a hit at your next family dinner. Whip up this fan-favorite and enjoy the simple yet delicious flavors that Ree Drummond has created.
Try More Recipes:
- Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole Pioneer Woman
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole Pioneer Woman
- Pioneer Woman Chicken Dorito Casserole
Why You Will Love This Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole Pioneer Woman
- It’s an easy, one-dish meal: This casserole requires minimal prep work and all of the ingredients bake together in one dish, making clean up a breeze.
- It’s delicious: The combination of flavors in this casserole is hard to beat. The creamy sauce, savory chicken, and crunchy topping make this dish a sure-fire hit.
- It’s a crowd-pleaser: Everyone loves a good casserole! This popppy seed chicken casserole will be a hit at any gathering.
- It’s versatile: You can easily customize this dish by adding your favorite vegetables or substituting a different type of cheese.
- It freezes well: If you need to make this dish ahead of time, you can easily freeze it and enjoy it later.
What Is Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole?
Poppy seed chicken casserole is a dish made with cooked chicken, cream of chicken soup, and poppy seeds, often served over a bed of rice or pasta. It is a type of casserole, which is a type of baked dish made with layers of ingredients such as meat, vegetables, and a starchy binder like pasta, rice, or potatoes. Casseroles are a popular choice for home cooks because they are relatively easy to prepare and can be made in advance, making them a convenient option for busy weeknights or meal prep.
The addition of poppy seeds to the casserole adds a nutty, slightly sweet flavor and a crunchy texture to the dish. There are many variations of poppy seed chicken casserole, with different recipe variations calling for different ingredients and seasonings.
What Is Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole Pioneer Woman Ingredients?
- 4 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 2 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 1 can (10.75 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups crushed cornflakes
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
How To Make Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole Pioneer Woman
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked chicken, egg noodles, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, mayonnaise, milk, poppy seeds, and Parmesan cheese. Mix until everything is well combined.
- Spread the mixture into a greased 9×13-inch baking dish.
- In a separate small bowl, mix together the crushed cornflakes and melted butter. Spread this mixture over the top of the casserole.
- Bake the casserole for 35-40 minutes, or until it is hot and bubbly.
- Serve the casserole hot, garnished with additional poppy seeds if desired. Enjoy!
Here are a few tips for making this Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole:
- You can use leftover roast chicken or a store-bought rotisserie chicken to save time on cooking the chicken.
- If you don’t have cornflakes on hand, you can use crushed crackers or breadcrumbs as a topping instead.
- For a crunchier topping, you can also add some additional chopped nuts, such as almonds or pecans, to the cornflake mixture.
- If you prefer a creamier casserole, you can add an additional 1/2 cup of sour cream or mayonnaise to the mixture.
- For a healthier version of this casserole, you can use whole wheat noodles and reduced-fat versions of the sour cream and mayonnaise.
- If you have any leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can reheat the casserole in the oven or microwave.
What To Serve With Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole Pioneer Woman?
Here are a few ideas for sides to serve with Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole:
- Roasted vegetables: You can roast a variety of vegetables, such as carrots, Brussels sprouts, or asparagus, to serve alongside the casserole.
- Salad: A green salad with a light vinaigrette would be a refreshing accompaniment to the creamy casserole.
- Roasted potatoes: Roasted potatoes or sweet potatoes would be a tasty and satisfying side dish.
- Grilled corn: Grilled corn on the cob would be a delicious and summery side dish to serve with the casserole.
- Biscuits or rolls: If you want to serve something carb-heavy with the casserole, biscuits or rolls would be a good choice.
- Steamed broccoli or green beans: For a more classic side dish, you can’t go wrong with steamed broccoli or green beans.
How To Store Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole Pioneer Woman?
To store leftover Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole, follow these steps:
To freeze the casserole, follow these steps:
- Let the casserole cool to room temperature.
- Cut the casserole into individual servings, if desired.
- Wrap each serving tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
- Place the wrapped servings in a large resealable plastic bag or a plastic container with a tight-fitting lid.
- Label the bag or container with the name and date, and place it in the freezer.
- The casserole will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
How To Thaw Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole?
To thaw and reheat the casserole, remove the desired number of servings from the freezer and place them in the refrigerator to thaw overnight. Alternatively, you can thaw the servings in the microwave by heating them on the defrost setting for a few minutes. Once thawed, you can reheat the casserole in the oven at 350°F (180°C) until it is hot and bubbly, or in the microwave until it is heated through. Enjoy!
How To Reheat Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole?
To reheat Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole in the oven, follow these steps:
To reheat the casserole in the microwave, follow these steps:
- Place the casserole in a microwave-safe dish and cover it with a microwave-safe lid or plastic wrap.
- Heat the casserole on high power for 1-2 minutes, or until it is heated through.
- Stir the casserole and continue heating it in 30-second increments, if needed, until it is hot and bubbly.
Can I use a different type of noodle in this casserole?
Yes, you can use any type of small pasta in this casserole, such as elbow macaroni, shells, or rotini.
Can I use a different type of cheese in this casserole?
Yes, you can use any type of grated cheese in this casserole, such as Cheddar, Monterey Jack, or mozzarella.
Can I add vegetables to this casserole?
Yes, you can add vegetables to this casserole if you’d like. Some options might include peas, corn, bell peppers, or diced tomatoes.
Can I make this casserole vegetarian?
Yes, you can omit the chicken and use a vegetarian protein, such as tofu, to make this casserole vegetarian.
Can I make this casserole gluten-free?
Yes, you can use gluten-free noodles or a gluten-free pasta substitute to make this casserole gluten-free.
How do I know when the casserole is done cooking?
When the casserole is ready, it will be bubbling vigorously, hot, and the noodles will be cooked through.
Can I double this recipe?
Yes, you can double this recipe if you’d like to make a larger batch of casserole. Just be sure to use a larger baking dish and adjust the cooking time as needed.
Can I make this casserole ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this casserole ahead of time and refrigerate it until you’re ready to bake it. You may need to add a few extra minutes to the baking time if the casserole is chilled when it goes into the oven.
Can I make this casserole in a pressure cooker?
Yes, you can make this casserole in a pressure cooker. Just combine all of the ingredients in the pressure cooker and cook on high pressure for 8-10 minutes, or until the noodles are tender.
Can I make this casserole in a slow cooker?
Yes, you can make this casserole in a slow cooker. Just combine all of the ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on low for 4-6 hours, or until the noodles are tender.
Try More Recipes:
- King Ranch Chicken Casserole Pioneer Woman
- Chicken Tortilla Casserole Pioneer Woman
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole Pioneer Woman
Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole Pioneer Woman Nutrition Facts