Are you seeking for a simple side dish that won’t let you down when it comes to flavor throughout the holiday season? If that’s the case, your search for the perfect yam recipe ends with those from the Pioneer Woman made in a slow cooker. This recipe, which is both straightforward and savory, is guaranteed to be a hit with your guests, and it can be prepared in next to no time with very little effort on your part.
A flavorful dish that can be served as a side to the main course can be prepared with only a few basic ingredients. Continue reading if you’re interested in learning how to make the Pioneer Woman’s yams in a slow cooker.
- Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Sticky Ribs
- Pioneer Woman Cheese Fondue Slow Cooker
- Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Ribs And Slaw
You’ll love Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Yams for a variety of reasons:
- Ease of preparation: The slow cooker does all the work for you, so you can spend your time on other things.
- Flavorful and Sweet: With the perfect blend of spices, sugar, and butter, these yams are bursting with sweet and savory flavors.
- Perfectly Cooked: The slow cooker cooks the yams to perfection, making them tender and easy to cut.
- Versatile: These yams can be served as a side dish for any meal, or as a holiday dish for Thanksgiving or Christmas.
- Large quantity: This recipe can be easily doubled or halved to accommodate a smaller or larger crowd.
- No fuss: With the slow cooker, there is no need to watch the yams constantly, freeing you up to take care of other things in the kitchen.
- A crowd-pleaser: With its irresistible flavor and ease of preparation, Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Yams are sure to be a hit with everyone at the table.
What Is Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Yams Recipe?
Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Yams is a sweet and savory side dish recipe created by the popular television personality and cookbook author, Ree Drummond, also known as The Pioneer Woman. The dish consists of yams or sweet potatoes cooked in a slow cooker with a mixture of spices, sugar, and butter. The end result is a soft and tender yam with a rich, caramelized flavor that pairs well with a variety of main dishes. Whether you’re looking for a side dish for a holiday meal or just a simple and delicious weeknight dinner, Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Yams is the perfect choice.
Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Yams Ingredients
- 6 medium yams or sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch rounds
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
How To Make Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Yams
- Arrange the yam rounds in the bottom of a slow cooker.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice and stir until combined.
- Pour the mixture over the yams in the slow cooker and drizzle with the maple syrup.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours, or until the yams are tender.
- Serve the yams hot, garnished with additional butter and maple syrup if desired.
Here are some tips to help you get the most out of your Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Yams recipe:
- Use fresh yams or sweet potatoes: Fresh yams will have the best flavor and texture, so try to use these if possible.
- Cut the yams evenly: Make sure to cut the yams into uniform rounds so that they cook evenly.
- Experiment with spices: You can adjust the amount of spices to suit your taste. You can also try adding other spices, such as cardamom, cloves, or even a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- Cook until tender: The yams are done when they are tender to the touch. If you’re not sure, insert a fork into the center of one of the rounds. If it goes in easily, the yams are done.
- Use a high-quality maple syrup: Using a high-quality maple syrup will enhance the flavor of the yams.
- Keep an eye on the liquid level: As the yams cook, they will release some liquid. If the liquid level is getting too low, you can add more water or even a splash of heavy cream to keep the yams moist.
- Serve hot: The yams are best served hot, straight from the slow cooker.
By following these tips, you’ll be well on your way to creating a delicious and flavorful Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Yams dish.
What To Serve With Slow Cooker Yams?
Slow cooker yams make a great side dish to many different main courses. Some popular dishes to serve with slow cooker yams include:
- Roasted or grilled meats: Slow cooker yams are the perfect accompaniment to a juicy roast beef, tender grilled chicken, or flavorful pork chops.
- Seafood: Slow cooker yams pair well with lightly seasoned shrimp, grilled salmon, or even a hearty seafood stew.
- Casseroles: Slow cooker yams are a great addition to a comforting casserole, such as a chicken and rice dish or a macaroni and cheese.
- Vegetable dishes: Slow cooker yams can be served alongside roasted or sautéed vegetables, such as green beans, Brussels sprouts, or roasted carrots.
- Barbecue: Slow cooker yams are a staple at barbecue events, where they can be served alongside ribs, burgers, or hot dogs.
- Breakfast: Slow cooker yams are a delicious addition to a hearty breakfast spread, where they can be served alongside eggs, bacon, and toast.
Regardless of what you serve with slow cooker yams, they are sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
How To Store Slow Cooker Yams?
Slow cooker yams can be stored in the refrigerator or freezer. Here’s how:
How To Reheat Slow Cooker Yams?
Slow cooker yams can be reheated using a few different methods:
- Oven: Transfer the yams to an oven-safe dish and heat in a preheated 350°F oven until heated through, about 20-30 minutes.
- Microwave: Place the yams in a microwave-safe dish and heat on high in 30-second intervals, stirring the yams between each interval, until heated through.
- Stovetop: Transfer the yams to a saucepan and heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 10-15 minutes.
Note: To avoid having the yams become tough and dry when reheating, it’s important not to overcook them. Keep a close eye on them and take them out of the oven or microwave as soon as they are heated through.
Can I use sweet potatoes instead of yams?
You can substitute sweet potatoes for the yams that are called for in this dish if sweet potatoes are your vegetable of choice.
Do I need to peel the yams before cooking them?
Before cooking the yams, you do not need to worry about peeling them because this step is not necessary.
Can I add spices or other flavors to the yams?
Yes, you can add spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, or allspice to the yams to enhance their flavor. You can also add other ingredients such as brown sugar, maple syrup, or marshmallows.
How long do the yams take to cook in the slow cooker?
The yams will typically take 4-6 hours to cook on the low setting, or 2-3 hours on the high setting.
How do I know if the yams are done cooking?
When the yams are cooked to the point where they are tender and can be readily penetrated with a fork, the cooking process is complete.
Can I cook the yams ahead of time?
Yes, you can cook the yams ahead of time and store them in the fridge or freezer until ready to reheat.
Can I add liquids to the slow cooker while cooking the yams?
Yes, you can add liquids such as apple juice or chicken broth to the slow cooker while cooking the yams to keep them from drying out.
Try More Recipes: