Ham is a classic holiday dish that everyone looks forward to, but it can be intimidating to cook, especially if you have a large cut of meat. Thankfully, with the help of a slow cooker, you can easily prepare a tender and juicy ham without having to worry about overcooking or undercooking it.
The Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond, has a fantastic recipe for slow cooker ham that is sure to be a hit at your next gathering. Keep reading to learn more about this mouthwatering recipe and how to make it yourself.
More Recipes From us:
- Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Yams
- Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Sticky Ribs
- Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Glazed Ribs
Why You’ll Love This Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Ham
Here are some reasons why someone might love Pioneer Woman Cabbage Soup:
- It is a hearty and healthy soup that is perfect for chilly days.
- It is made with simple and affordable ingredients that are easy to find.
- It is a great way to use up leftover cabbage and other vegetables.
- It is a low-calorie and low-carb option that is suitable for those on a diet or watching their weight.
- It is a versatile recipe that can be adjusted to suit individual tastes and preferences.
What Is Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Ham Recipe?
The Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Ham is a delicious and easy way to make a juicy and flavorful ham without the fuss. It requires only a few ingredients and a slow cooker, making it perfect for busy weeknights or special occasions.
The ham is slow-cooked in a mixture of brown sugar, mustard, and orange juice, giving it a sweet and tangy flavor that pairs perfectly with any sides you choose to serve it with. Plus, the slow cooker makes the ham incredibly tender and juicy, making it a crowd-pleaser every time.
Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Ham Ingredients
- 1 head of cabbage, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1 can (28 ounces) of diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups of beef broth
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
How To Make Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Ham
- In a large pot, brown the ground beef over medium-high heat until it’s fully cooked. Drain any excess fat.
- Add the chopped cabbage, onion, green bell pepper, and garlic to the pot with the cooked beef. Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften.
- Add the diced tomatoes, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, smoked paprika, salt, and black pepper to the pot. Stir everything together.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the cabbage is tender and the flavors have blended together.
- Serve the cabbage soup hot and enjoy!
Here are some recipe tips for Pioneer Woman Cabbage Soup:
What To Serve With Slow Cooker Ham?
Cabbage soup can be a hearty and filling dish on its own, but you can also serve it with some accompaniments to make a complete meal. Here are a few ideas:
- Crusty bread: Serve with some freshly baked bread or rolls to sop up the broth.
- Salad: A fresh green salad with a simple vinaigrette dressing is a great side dish to serve with the soup.
- Grilled cheese: A classic grilled cheese sandwich pairs well with a warm bowl of cabbage soup.
- Crackers or croutons: Sprinkle some crackers or croutons on top of the soup for added texture and crunch.
- Sausage or kielbasa: Sliced sausage or kielbasa can be added to the soup for extra protein and flavor.
- Roasted vegetables: Roasted vegetables, such as carrots, parsnips, or sweet potatoes, make a tasty side dish to complement the soup.
- Rice or noodles: Adding rice or noodles to the soup can make it more filling and satisfying.
How To Store Leftovers
To store cabbage soup, allow it to cool to room temperature, then transfer it to an airtight container. You can store it in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days. If you want to store it for longer, you can freeze it. Here’s how:
- Let the soup cool to room temperature.
- Transfer the soup to a freezer-safe container, leaving some room at the top for the soup to expand as it freezes.
- Label the container with the date and contents.
- Place the container in the freezer.
The cabbage soup can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. To thaw the soup, transfer it to the refrigerator and allow it to thaw overnight. You can reheat the soup on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Here are a few different ways to reheat cabbage soup:
- Stovetop: Pour the soup into a saucepan and heat over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
- Microwave: Transfer the soup to a microwave-safe dish and heat in 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until heated through.
- Slow cooker: Transfer the soup to a slow cooker and heat on low for 1-2 hours, or until heated through.
- Oven: Pour the soup into an oven-safe dish, cover with foil, and bake at 350°F for 20-30 minutes, or until heated through.
No matter which method you choose, make sure the soup reaches a temperature of at least 165°F before serving.
What size ham do I need?
You will need a boneless ham that weighs between three and five pounds for this dish. The hams that are sold in the vast majority of grocery stores have already been cooked (either by being cured or smoked), therefore this is the quality to search for when making your purchase. Do not buy a ham that is still raw in the middle.
What should the internal temperature of my ham be?
After it has finished cooking and has some time to rest, the internal temperature of your ham should be 140 degrees Fahrenheit. Using a kitchen thermometer, you may examine this at the section that is the most substantial.
How long does Ham need to cook?
It takes roughly three to four hours on the lowest setting, or until the inside temperature reaches one hundred forty degrees Fahrenheit. It is not advisable to cook this at a high temperature.
What Kind Of Ham Works Best In The Slow Cooker?
A bone-in ham with natural juices is best for slow cooking as it will result in a more flavorful and moist ham.
Try More Recipes:
Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Ham Nutrition Fact
• Calories: 270
• Total Fat: 14g
• Saturated Fat: 4.5g
• Trans Fat: 0g
• Cholesterol: 70mg
• Sodium: 1790mg
• Total Carbohydrates: 7g
• Dietary Fiber: 0g
• Sugars: 7g
• Protein: 28g