The Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is a delicious, hearty, and comforting meal that’s perfect for any day of the week. This dish is a crowd-pleaser, making it great for feeding a family or entertaining guests. With its warm and spicy flavor, tender chicken, and crispy tortilla strips, this soup is a true Tex-Mex classic that’s made even easier with the help of a slow cooker.
In this article, we’ll take a closer look at this delicious recipe and everything you need to know to make it.
- Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili Pioneer Woman
- Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls
- Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Recipes
- Convenient: The slow cooker does all the work, freeing up your time to do other things.
- Flavorful: A blend of spices, herbs, and seasonings create a rich and delicious broth.
- Hearty: Packed with tender chicken, vegetables, and beans, this soup is filling and satisfying.
- Versatile: Serve it as is, or top with shredded cheese, sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips for added texture and flavor.
- Perfect for meal prep: Make a big batch and enjoy leftovers for lunch or dinner throughout the week.
- Comfort food: The warm and comforting flavors of this soup make it perfect for chilly days or when you need a comforting meal.
- Healthy: With plenty of lean protein, fiber-rich beans, and nutrient-dense vegetables, this soup is a healthy and nutritious meal.
- Budget-friendly: Made with pantry staples and budget-friendly ingredients, this soup is an affordable and delicious meal option.
- Family-friendly: Everyone will love this soup, making it a perfect meal for the whole family.
- Easy to customize: Add your favorite spices or toppings to make this soup your own.
What Is Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe?
Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is a comforting and flavorful Mexican-inspired soup made with ingredients such as chicken, canned tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, garlic, onion, chicken broth, corn, black beans, and tortilla chips, simmered together in a slow cooker. The result is a warm and hearty dish that is perfect for cold weather or when you’re craving something spicy and filling.
Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup Ingredients
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn kernels
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- Fresh cilantro, diced
- Shredded cheese
- Tortilla chips
- Avocado, diced
How To Make Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Using a slow cooker, combine the chicken, onion, garlic, diced tomatoes with green chilies, diced tomatoes, black beans, corn, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and simmer on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 4 hours, until the chicken is fully cooked and soft, depending on which setting you choose.
- Take the chicken out of the slow cooker, and using two forks, shred the chicken. Place the chicken breasts back into the slow cooker. Mix in the lime juice thoroughly.
- To serve, garnish with freshly chopped cilantro, shredded cheese, cubed avocado, and tortilla chips.
Here are some tips to make the best Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup:
- Use cooked, shredded chicken for ease and convenience.
- Add spices and seasonings to taste, adjusting for personal preference.
- Consider using fire-roasted diced tomatoes for added depth of flavor.
- Top with desired toppings such as shredded cheese, avocado, cilantro, or crushed tortilla chips.
- Experiment with different types of tortillas for a twist on traditional tortilla soup.
- Cook on low for 8 hours for best results.
- Serve with rice or bread for a filling meal.
- If you prefer a thicker soup, consider pureeing some of the ingredients before serving.
- Use bone-in chicken for added flavor.
- Add a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt for a creamy finish.
What To Serve With Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup?
Slow cooker chicken tortilla soup is a flavorful and filling meal that can be served as a main dish. You can pair it with a variety of sides to make a complete meal. Some popular options include:
- Rice or quinoa
- Tortilla chips for dipping
- Freshly baked bread or rolls
- A simple green salad
- Grilled or roasted vegetables
- A dollop of sour cream or avocado for topping
- Freshly chopped cilantro for garnish.
How To Store Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup?
You can store the Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup in a few different ways to extend its shelf life and keep it fresh:
How To Reheat Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup?
- Microwave: Transfer the soup to a microwave-safe dish and cover with a microwave-safe lid or wrap with plastic wrap. Heat on high for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
- Stovetop: Transfer the soup to a saucepan and heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
- Oven: Transfer the soup to a heat-proof dish and cover with foil. Place in a preheated 350°F oven and heat for 20-30 minutes, until heated through.
- Slow Cooker: If you have a second slow cooker, transfer the soup to it and heat on low for 2-3 hours, until heated through.
- Instant Pot: Transfer the soup to the Instant Pot and set to “soup” mode or pressure cook on high for 5 minutes, then allow a natural release for 5 minutes before quick releasing any remaining pressure. Stir and serve.
Can I use store-bought rotisserie chicken for Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe?
Yes, you can absolutely use store-bought rotisserie chicken for this recipe. Simply shred the chicken and add it to the slow cooker. You may want to reduce the cooking time slightly, as the chicken will already be cooked.
Can I make Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup gluten-free?
Yes, you can make this Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup gluten-free. Simply use gluten-free corn tortillas and gluten-free chicken broth. You can also use gluten-free flour or cornstarch to thicken the soup if desired.
Can I make Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup spicier?
Yes, you can make Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup spicier by adding a few tablespoons of chili powder, a tablespoon of ground cumin, and a teaspoon of cayenne pepper to the recipe. You can also add more jalapenos and/or diced green chilies to the soup for an extra kick of heat.
Can I use fresh or canned tomatoes for Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe?
You can use either fresh or canned tomatoes for this recipe. If using fresh tomatoes, make sure they are ripe and peeled. If using canned tomatoes, look for varieties like fire-roasted tomatoes that will add more flavor to the soup.
Can I make Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup without chicken?
Yes, you can make a vegetarian version of Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup by omitting the chicken and substituting a vegetable broth for the chicken broth. You can also add some beans for protein.
Can I add beans to Pioneer Woman’s Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe?
Yes, you can add beans to Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup. You can add black beans, pinto beans, kidney beans, or any other type of beans you like. Make sure to rinse and drain the beans before adding them to the slow cooker.
- Slow Cooker Beef Fajitas Pioneer Woman
- Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Chicken And Rice
- Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Macaroni And Cheese
Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup Nutrition Fact
Serving size: 1 cup (245g)
- Calories: 190
- Total Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 35mg
- Sodium: 790mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 15g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Sugars: 2g Protein: 18g
- Vitamin A: 8%
- Vitamin C: 6%
- Calcium: 8%
- Iron: 10%