This recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken Thigh is inspired by the Pioneer Woman herself. Known for her simple and comforting recipes, this dish featuring chicken thighs is a great example of her approach to cooking. The use of bone-in and skin-on chicken thighs adds a richness of flavor, while the slow cooking method allows the flavors to meld together perfectly.
- Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Pork Chops
- Pioneer Woman Beef Tips And Gravy
- Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Recipes
About Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs Recipe
The Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs recipe is simple and comforting, featuring flavorful chicken thighs and a delicious sauce. The recipe calls for slow-cooking chicken thighs on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours for a moist and tender result.
The sauce for the recipe is made with a combination of chicken broth, honey, soy sauce, Dijon mustard, and red pepper flakes, which creates a flavorful and slightly sweet sauce that perfectly coats the tender chicken. It’s a great recipe for busy weeknights or for feeding a crowd.
Is It Better To Cook Chicken Thighs On High Or Low In Crockpot?
It’s best to cook chicken thighs on low in a crockpot. Slow cooking on low allows the flavors to develop and blend and also helps prevent the chicken from drying out. Cooking on high can also work but the flavors may not have as much time to develop, and the chicken may dry out more easily.
How Long To Slow Cook Chicken Thighs
It’s recommended to cook chicken thighs on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours, but keep in mind that cooking on low will provide you with a more flavorful and tender chicken.
Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs Recipe Ingredients
- 8 chicken thighs, bone-in, and skin-on: Chicken thighs are a great cut of meat for slow cooking as they are more flavorful and less likely to dry out than chicken breasts. The bone-in and skin-on versions add even more flavor.
- Salt and pepper: Used to season the chicken and add flavor. Use a generous amount to ensure the chicken is well seasoned.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil: Used to brown the chicken before slow cooking. This creates crispy skin and a richer flavor.
- 1 medium onion, chopped: The onions add sweetness and depth of flavor to the dish. Chopping them allows them to cook evenly in the slow cooker.
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced: Garlic adds a strong, savory flavor and aroma to the dish. Mincing it allows it to distribute evenly throughout the dish.
- 1 cup chicken broth: Used as the base of the sauce and helps keep the chicken moist while slow cooking.
- 1/4 cup honey: Adds a touch of sweetness to the sauce to balance out the savoriness of the other ingredients.
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce: Adds a rich, salty flavor to the sauce. It also helps to deepen the color of the sauce.
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard: Provides a tangy and savory flavor to the sauce.
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional): Add subtle heat to the dish. It can be left out if you prefer a milder flavor.
- Fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish): Used as a garnish to add a fresh, herby flavor and a pop of color to the dish.
How To Slow Cook Chicken Thighs Like Pioneer Woman
- Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken thighs and brown on both sides, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Transfer the chicken to a slow cooker.
- In the same skillet, add the onion and garlic and sauté until softened, about 3-4 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the chicken broth, honey, soy sauce, Dijon mustard, and red pepper flakes (if using).
- Pour the mixture over the chicken into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours, until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Serve the chicken with the sauce, garnished with fresh parsley.
Should Chicken Thighs Be Covered In Liquid In Slow Cooker
It’s beneficial to have some liquid in the slow cooker when cooking chicken thighs, but they don’t need to be completely submerged. Following the recipe instructions will ensure the chicken cooks properly and stays moist.
Based on the Pioneer Woman recipe, chicken thighs should be browned before slow cooking. The recipe calls for seasoning the chicken with salt and pepper and then browning it in a skillet or pan before adding it to the slow cooker.
This step is important in our recipe as it adds a deeper, richer flavor and a crispy texture to the skin, and also helps to lock in the juices, preventing the chicken from drying out.
Storing Leftovers Of Slow Cooked Chicken Thighs
- Storing in the fridge: To store leftovers in the fridge, transfer the chicken and any remaining sauce to an airtight container or sealable plastic bag. Make sure to remove as much air as possible before sealing the bag. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- Storing in the freezer: To store leftovers in the freezer, transfer the chicken and any remaining sauce to an airtight container or sealable plastic freezer bag. Make sure to remove as much air as possible before sealing the bag. Leftovers can be stored in the freezer for up to 3-4 months.
Reheating Leftovers Of Slow Cooked Chicken Thighs
- Reheating from the fridge: To reheat leftover slow-cooked chicken thighs from the fridge, simply transfer the desired amount to a microwave-safe dish and heat on high for 1-2 minutes, or until heated through. Alternatively, you can place the leftovers in a covered dish and heat them in a 350-degree Fahrenheit oven for about 15-20 minutes, or until heated through.
- Reheating from the freezer: To reheat frozen slow-cooked chicken thighs, transfer the desired amount to the refrigerator the night before you plan to eat it to thaw. Once thawed, you can reheat it in the microwave or oven, following the same instructions as above.
What To Serve With Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs
Slow-cooked chicken thighs can be served with a variety of side dishes to make a complete meal. Some popular options include:
Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs Nutrition Facts
- Calories: 285
- Protein: 25g
- Fat: 21g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Cholesterol: 105mg
- Sodium: 65mg
- Carbohydrates: 0g
- Fiber: 0g