Enjoy the taste of classic comfort food with a twist with the Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls recipe. This delicious dish combines tender cooked cabbage leaves with a flavorful meat filling and a rich tomato sauce, all cooked to perfection in your slow cooker.
Whether you’re in the mood for a hearty dinner or a comforting Sunday meal, these Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls are sure to hit the spot. Read on to find out how to make this scrumptious recipe at home!
- Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Slow Cooker Beef Fajitas Pioneer Woman
- Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Recipes
- Convenient Cooking: Slow cooking allows you to prepare a delicious meal with minimal effort.
- Rich Flavor: Cabbage rolls are packed with a savory filling that’s slow-cooked to perfection.
- One-Pot Meal: With this recipe, you can make the filling, sauce, and rolls all in one pot.
- Perfect Comfort Food: Cabbage rolls are the ultimate comfort food, perfect for chilly days.
- Feed a Crowd: This recipe is easily scalable, making it great for feeding a large family or entertaining guests.
- Versatile: You can serve this dish with a variety of sides, making it suitable for any meal occasion.
- Leftovers: Any leftovers will keep well in the fridge, so you can enjoy them for a few days after cooking.
- Freezer-Friendly: You can also freeze the rolls for an easy meal later on.
- Healthy: This recipe uses lean ground beef and is a great source of fiber from the cabbage.
- Satisfying: The tender cabbage leaves, juicy filling, and savory sauce will leave you feeling satisfied and content.
What Is Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls Recipe?
Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls is a comfort food dish made with tender cabbage leaves stuffed with a mixture of ground beef, rice, and seasonings, then slow-cooked in a savory tomato sauce. The result is a warm, hearty meal that’s perfect for cold nights or special occasions.
Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls Ingredients
- 1 head of green cabbage
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 cups tomato sauce
How To Make Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls
- The outer leaves of the cabbage should be removed and discarded. Remove the core from the head once it has been cut in half.
- Blanch the cabbage leaves for around two to three minutes in a big pot of boiling water, until they are tender and easy to work with.
- Mix the ground beef, rice that has been cooked, onion, garlic, diced tomatoes, salt, pepper, paprika, basil, oregano, and thyme together in a bowl.
- Place a level tablespoon of the meat mixture in the middle of each cabbage leaf that has been blanched, and then roll up the leaf securely while tucking in the sides.
- After pouring the tomato sauce into the slow cooker, place the cabbage rolls in a single layer on top of the sauce.
- Cook with the lid on for between 6 and 8 hours on a low heat. To be served hot.
Here are some recipe tips for Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls:
- Use tender, firm heads of cabbage for the best texture.
- Boil the cabbage leaves for a few minutes before rolling to make them more pliable.
- Mix ground meat, cooked rice, and spices to make the filling for the cabbage rolls.
- Place the cabbage rolls in the slow cooker in a single layer, making sure not to overlap.
- Pour the sauce over the cabbage rolls and cook on low heat for 4-6 hours.
- Check the internal temperature of the cabbage rolls with a meat thermometer to ensure they’re fully cooked.
- Serve hot with additional sauce and freshly chopped herbs as desired.
Enjoy your delicious and comforting Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls!
What To Serve With Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls?
Cabbage rolls can be served with a variety of sides to create a complete meal. Some popular options include:
How To Store Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls?
To store slow cooker cabbage rolls, you can:
- Cool the rolls completely and wrap them in aluminum foil or plastic wrap.
- Place them in an airtight container or a resealable plastic bag.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To freeze, wrap the rolls securely in aluminum foil or plastic wrap and place them in a freezer-safe container or plastic bag.
- Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
How To Reheat Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls?
To reheat Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls, you can use the following methods:
- Microwave: Place the cabbage rolls in a microwave-safe dish, cover it with a lid or plastic wrap, and heat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or until heated through.
- Oven: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the cabbage rolls in a baking dish, cover it with foil, and heat for 20-30 minutes or until heated through.
- Stovetop: Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add a little oil. Add the cabbage rolls to the skillet and heat, turning occasionally, until heated through, about 5-10 minutes.
- Slow Cooker: Add the cabbage rolls to the slow cooker, cover and heat on low for 1-2 hours, or until heated through. You can also add a little chicken broth or water to the slow cooker to keep the cabbage rolls from drying out.
What type of meat is used in Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls?
Ground beef is often called for as the primary ingredient in any cabbage roll recipe that use a slow cooker. On the other hand, if you want, you might substitute the ground beef with ground turkey or ground pig.
Can I make the cabbage rolls ahead of time?
Yes, you can make cabbage rolls ahead of time. Simply assemble the rolls, place them in an oven-safe dish, and cover with foil. Store in the refrigerator for up to three days. When ready to cook, preheat the oven and bake the cabbage rolls according to the recipe instructions.
How long does it take to cook the cabbage rolls in a slow cooker?
When using a slow cooker on the lowest setting, the typical amount of time required to create cabbage rolls is somewhere in the range of three to four hours.
Can I use fresh cabbage instead of canned?
You are free to use fresh cabbage in this recipe; however, you will need to blanch it first in order to soften it to the point where it is manageable to roll. Blanching the cabbage will bring it to the desired consistency.
Can I use brown rice instead of white rice for the filling?
Yes, you can use brown rice instead of white rice for the filling. Brown rice has a higher fiber content than white rice and is a healthier option. It may also take longer to cook, so you may need to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Can I add more spices to the filling?
Yes, you can add more spices to the filling. Depending on your preferences, you can add more herbs and spices such as garlic, oregano, basil, and thyme. Feel free to experiment with different combinations to find the perfect flavor for your dish.
Can I use a different sauce other than tomato sauce?
You can certainly add a different sauce, like pesto, alfredo, or even a cream sauce. Is that what you want to do? When searching for an alternative sauce for your dish, you have a wide variety of excellent choices available to select from.
Try More Recipes: