Pioneer Woman Marinated Tomatoes is a flavorful and easy-to-make recipe that features fresh tomatoes marinated in a delicious blend of herbs, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar. This dish is perfect as a side dish, topping for salads or sandwiches, or as an appetizer.
Whether you are looking for a dish to bring to a potluck or simply looking for a new way to enjoy fresh tomatoes, this recipe is a great option. The Marinated Tomatoes dish is easy to make and can be prepared in advance, making it perfect for busy weeknights or entertaining.
There are several reasons why you’ll love this Pioneer Woman Marinated Tomatoes recipe:
- It’s a simple and easy recipe that requires minimal prep work and can be prepared in advance.
- It’s a great way to use up fresh tomatoes, which are in abundance during the summer months.
- The marinade of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and herbs infuses the tomatoes with a bold and delicious flavor.
- It’s a versatile recipe that can be used as a side dish, topping for salads or sandwiches, or as an appetizer.
- It’s a healthy and nutritious dish that is low in calories and high in vitamins and antioxidants.
- It’s a great dish for entertaining, as it can be made in advance and served at room temperature.
- It’s a dish that can be easily adjusted to suit your taste and dietary needs, you can play around with the herbs and spices or use different type of vinegar.
- It’s a dish that can be enjoyed all year round, as tomatoes are available in grocery stores year-round even if they are not in season.
Overall, this Pioneer Woman Marinated Tomatoes recipe is a delicious and easy way to enjoy fresh tomatoes and make the most of summer’s bounty.
What Is Marinated Tomatoes?
Marinated Tomatoes is a dish made by marinating fresh tomatoes in a mixture of olive oil, vinegar, and herbs. The tomatoes are left to sit in the marinade for a period of time, which allows the flavors to infuse into the tomatoes. The marinade can vary depending on the recipe, but common ingredients include olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, fresh herbs such as basil, oregano, thyme, parsley or mint.
The marinade can also include other ingredients such as sugar, honey, Dijon mustard, and various spices. The tomatoes can be served as a side dish, as a topping for salads or sandwiches, or as an appetizer. The dish is usually served chilled or at room temperature. The tomatoes can be enjoyed as they are or they can be further cooked, often they are grilled or broiled.
Pioneer Woman Marinated Tomatoes Ingredients
- 4 large tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
How To Make Pioneer Woman Marinated Tomatoes
- Cut tomatoes into wedges and place them in a large bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, Dijon mustard, garlic, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the marinade over the tomatoes and toss to coat evenly.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- Before serving, remove the tomatoes from the refrigerator and let them sit at room temperature for 15 minutes to bring out their natural sweetness.
- Serve the tomatoes as a side dish, or use them to top sandwiches, salads, or as an appetizer.
Note: You can adjust the ingredients according to your taste, adding or removing ingredients such as herbs, garlic or different type of vinegar.
- Use ripe, firm and juicy tomatoes for the best results. Heirloom tomatoes or cherry tomatoes can be great options.
- Cut the tomatoes into wedges for easy marination and presentation.
- Use high-quality olive oil, balsamic vinegar and herbs for the best flavor.
- Experiment with different herbs and spices to customize the flavor to your liking.
- Marinate the tomatoes for at least 30 minutes, but for the best flavor, marinate them for 2 hours or more.
- Use the marinade as a dressing for salads or as a dip for bread
- If you want to add more depth of flavor, you can grill or broil the tomatoes before marinating.
- Be sure to remove the tomatoes from the refrigerator and let them sit at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving to bring out their natural sweetness.
- You can add some chopped onions, pepper or any other vegetable to the marinade to make a more colorful and flavorful dish.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- This dish can be served cold or at room temperature, so it’s great for picnics, potlucks, or summer parties.
What To Serve With Marinated Tomatoes?
Marinated tomatoes can be served as a side dish, topping for salads, or as an appetizer. Some great options for dishes to serve with Marinated Tomatoes include:
- Grilled meats: Marinated tomatoes pair well with grilled meats like steak, chicken, or pork.
- Seafood: Try serving Marinated Tomatoes with grilled or sautéed fish or shrimp.
- Pasta: Marinated tomatoes can be used as a topping for pasta dishes, or served as a side dish with a simple pasta dish.
- Sandwiches: Use marinated tomatoes as a topping for sandwiches like paninis or subs.
- Salad: Marinated Tomatoes can be used as a topping for a green salad, or a salad made from other vegetables, like cucumbers, bell peppers, and onions.
- Cheese: Serve Marinated Tomatoes with a variety of cheeses like feta, mozzarella, or brie.
- Bread: Serve Marinated Tomatoes as an appetizer with crusty bread, crostini, or bruschetta.
- Rice dishes: Marinated tomatoes can be used as a topping for rice dishes, like paella or risotto.
- Grilled vegetables: Marinated Tomatoes can be served as a side dish with other grilled vegetables like eggplant, zucchini, or bell peppers.
- Soups: Marinated tomatoes can be used as a topping for soups like minestrone or gazpacho.
How To Store Marinated Tomatoes?
Marinated tomatoes can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To store them, follow these steps:
Keep in mind that storing the marinated tomatoes in the fridge may cause the texture of the tomatoes to change a bit, they may become a bit softer, but they will still be delicious.
How To Reheat Marinated Tomatoes?
- Microwave: Place the tomatoes in a microwave-safe dish and cover with a microwave-safe lid or plastic wrap. Heat on high for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until heated through.
- Stovetop: Place the tomatoes and the marinade in a saucepan and heat over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
- Oven: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the tomatoes and marinade in an oven-safe dish and cover with foil. Heat in the oven for about 10-15 minutes, or until heated through.
Regardless of the method, be careful not to overheat the tomatoes as they can become mushy. Also, the marinade may lose some of its flavor and texture by reheating.
It’s also important to note that, reheating the marinated tomatoes may cause the texture of the tomatoes to change a bit, they may become a bit softer, but they will still be delicious.
Can I use different types of tomatoes for Marinated Tomatoes?
Yes, you can definitely use different types of tomatoes for Marinated Tomatoes. Different types of tomatoes will provide different flavors and textures, so it’s a great way to experiment with different recipes. Some of the best tomatoes to use for Marinated Tomatoes are Roma, Grape, and Cherry tomatoes. Just make sure to slice them as evenly as possible for the best results.
Can I add other vegetables to the marinade?
It is possible to enhance the dish’s appearance and flavor by including more veggies in the marinade. Some examples are onions, bell peppers, and cucumbers.
Can I use different types of vinegar for Marinated Tomatoes?
Yes, you are free to use any type of vinegar you like for the Marinated Tomatoes, including white wine vinegar and red wine vinegar, for example.
Can I add other herbs to the marinade?
If you’d like, you may spice up the marinade with some thyme, rosemary, or parsley in addition to the herbs already included in it.
How long should I marinate the tomatoes?
Marinate the tomatoes for at least half an hour, but for the finest flavor, marinate them for at least two hours. Marinate the tomatoes for at least half an hour.
Can I make Marinated Tomatoes ahead of time?
Yes, you can make Marinated Tomatoes ahead of time. The tomatoes will keep in the marinade for up to two weeks in the refrigerator.
Can I use low-fat or fat-free ingredients for Marinated Tomatoes?
You can certainly use low-fat or fat-free ingredients, but you should be aware that this may have an effect on both the texture and the flavor.