If you’re looking for a hearty and comforting dinner that the whole family will love, look no further than the Pioneer Woman’s Hamburger Potato Casserole. This dish is packed with ground beef, potatoes, cheese and a variety of flavorful seasonings, all baked to perfection in a casserole dish. Not only is it delicious and satisfying, but it’s also a great way to use up leftover potatoes and ground beef.
It’s also versatile, you can customize it to your family’s taste by adding additional vegetables like carrots or green beans, or by adjusting the seasonings. The Pioneer Woman’s Hamburger Potato Casserole is the perfect dinner for a busy weeknight, as it requires minimal prep work and comes together quickly. It’s a perfect dinner option for a comfort food cravings and it’s sure to be a hit with your family.
Try More Recipes:
- Pioneer Woman Sweet Potato Casserole
- Tex Mex Chicken Casserole Pioneer Woman
- Pioneer Woman Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole
Why You Will Love This Pioneer Woman Hamburger Potato Casserole
There are many reasons why you’ll love The Pioneer Woman’s Hamburger Potato Casserole:
- It’s a one-dish meal that is easy to make, it requires minimal prep work and comes together quickly.
- It’s a comfort food that is perfect for cold weather, the casserole provides warmth, and a full feeling after eating.
- The combination of flavors and textures is delicious, with ground beef, potatoes, cheese and seasonings, it’s a well-balanced dish that will appeal to everyone.
- It’s a great way to use up leftover potatoes and ground beef, making it a budget-friendly dish.
- It’s a very versatile dish and you can customize it to your family’s taste by adding additional vegetables like carrots or green beans or adjusting the seasonings to your preference.
- The cheese adds a rich, creamy texture and delicious flavor to the casserole, making it irresistible.
- It’s a great option for busy weeknight dinners and it’s perfect for serving to a crowd.
- The casserole is easy to store and reheat, making it a convenient option for meal prep.
- The Pioneer Woman’s recipe is easy to follow and the results are always delicious. It’s a crowd pleaser for all ages.
Overall, The Pioneer Woman’s Hamburger Potato Casserole is a delicious and comforting dish that is perfect for a busy weeknight dinner. It’s easy to make and is sure to be a hit with the whole family.
What Is Hamburger Potato Casserole?
Hamburger Potato Casserole, also known as “ground beef and potato casserole”, is a dish made up of ground beef, potatoes, cheese, and various seasonings that are combined together in a casserole dish and then baked. It is hearty, comforting and an easy one-dish meal that is perfect for a busy weeknight dinner.
The beef and potatoes are cooked together with flavorful seasonings such as onion and garlic powder, then cheese is added to make it creamy and delicious. Some recipes can include additional vegetables such as carrots or green beans, and can be topped with breadcrumbs or shredded cheese to add an extra layer of texture. The Pioneer Woman’s recipe specifically is a recipe from the food blogger Ree Drummond, known as The Pioneer Woman.
What Is Pioneer Woman Hamburger Potato Casserole Ingredients?
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 cups diced potatoes
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
How To Make Pioneer Woman Hamburger Potato Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef over medium-high heat, until it’s fully cooked. Drain any excess fat.
- Add the diced onion, minced garlic, salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. Cook for a couple of minutes, until the onions are translucent.
- Sprinkle flour over the meat mixture and stir until well combined.
- Pour in the beef broth and stir to combine. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese.
- In a separate pot, boil the diced potatoes for about 5 minutes, or until they’re just tender. Drain them.
- In a large baking dish, layer the potatoes and the meat mixture.
- Sprinkle the grated Parmesan cheese over the top of the casserole.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes, or until the casserole is hot and bubbly and the cheese is melted and golden. Let the casserole rest for a few minutes before serving.
Here are some tips to help you make the perfect Pioneer Woman’s Hamburger Potato Casserole:
- Brown the ground beef well: Make sure to fully cook the beef and drain any excess fat before adding the onions and seasonings.
- Cook the potatoes just right: Be sure not to overcook the potatoes, as they should be just tender when you add them to the casserole.
- Use beef broth instead of milk: Using beef broth instead of milk adds more depth of flavor to the casserole.
- Add additional vegetables: If desired, you can add additional vegetables such as diced carrots, green beans, or corn to the casserole for added nutrition and flavor.
- Use fresh ingredients: Using fresh herbs and seasonings, instead of dried, will make all the difference in the taste and quality of the final casserole.
- Add cheese to the top: if you want to add extra cheesy goodness and a golden crust to your casserole, top it with more shredded cheese or bread crumbs before baking.
- Make it ahead of time: This casserole can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Let it rest before serving: Allow the casserole to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving. This will make it easier to slice and will prevent it from falling apart.
- Adjust seasoning: You can adjust the seasoning to your preference, if you like it more savory or more salty or spicy, feel free to add more or less of any of the seasonings.
What To Serve With Hamburger Potato Casserole?
Here are some ideas for side dishes that would pair well with The Pioneer Woman’s Hamburger Potato Casserole:
- A green salad: A simple green salad made with fresh greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, and a light vinaigrette would be a great complement to the casserole.
- Roasted vegetables: Roasted vegetables such as carrots, broccoli, or cauliflower would add some color and nutrition to the meal.
- Garlic bread: Garlic bread is always a crowd pleaser and would be great for sopping up any gravy from the casserole.
- Baked beans: A side of baked beans would add a nice contrast of flavors and textures to the casserole.
- Coleslaw: light and creamy coleslaw would be a great balance to the rich casserole.
- Mashed potatoes: a side of creamy mashed potatoes would be great way to enjoy the potatoes in a different form.
- Grilled or roasted meats: a side of grilled or roasted meats such as chicken or steak would complement the casserole.
- Biscuits or Cornbread: would be a great addition to the casserole, especially if you’re serving it with a gravy.
- Pasta: a side of pasta such as spaghetti or mac and cheese would be a comfort food addition to the casserole.
- Rice: a side of rice can be a great base for the casserole, and can be a great way to stretch the meal to feed more people.
How To Store Hamburger Potato Casserole?
Here are some tips for storing The Pioneer Woman’s Hamburger Potato Casserole:
How To Reheat Hamburger Potato Casserole?
Here are some tips for reheating The Hamburger Potato Casserole:
- If you have stored the casserole in the refrigerator, remove it from the fridge and let it sit at room temperature for 15-20 minutes before reheating.
- If you have stored the casserole in the freezer, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight or at room temperature.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Cover the casserole with aluminum foil or a lid, if the casserole was stored in the freezer you can remove the wrapping and place it in a baking dish before reheating.
- Place the casserole in the oven and bake it for 20-30 minutes, or until heated through.
- If you prefer, you can also reheat individual servings of the casserole in the microwave.
- Before serving, be sure to check the temperature of the casserole with a food thermometer, it should reach at least 165F to be safe for consumption.
- You can add a splash of beef broth or water to the casserole to prevent it from drying out.
- If the casserole appears dry, you can add a splash of beef broth or water to the casserole.
- Let it sit for a few minutes before serving, allowing the casserole to rest for a few minutes will make it easier to slice and will prevent it from falling apart.
Can I make hamburger potato casserole ahead of time?
Yes, you can make hamburger potato casserole ahead of time. To do so, prepare the casserole as instructed, place it in an oven-safe dish, and cover it with aluminum foil. Refrigerate until needed. When ready to bake, preheat the oven, remove the foil and bake for the recommended amount of time.
Can I add additional vegetables to the casserole?
It is possible to enhance the flavor and nutritional value of the dish by including other vegetables such as corn, green beans, and carrots in diced form.
How long does it take to bake the casserole?
A usual baking time for the casserole in the oven is between 30 and 35 minutes, or until the dish is bubbling and hot and the cheese has melted and turned brown.
Can I customize the recipe to suit my taste preferences?
Yes, the recipe can be modified to suit your tastes by changing the proportions of the seasonings, increasing or decreasing the amount of any one of the seasonings, or increasing the amount of vegetables.
Is it safe to eat the casserole if it’s been stored in the freezer?
After being kept in the freezer for an extended period of time, the casserole can be consumed without risk if it is first properly thawed and then reheated to an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit before doing so.
Do You Cover Hamburger Potato Casserole While Baking?
It depends on the recipe and personal preference. Some recipes may call for the casserole to be covered while baking, while others may call for it to be left uncovered. Covering the casserole while baking can help to trap steam and moisture inside the dish, which can help to prevent it from drying out and keep the ingredients from browning too quickly. However, covering the casserole may also make the top of the casserole less brown and crusty.
What Is Best Temp To Bake Hamburger Potato Casserole?
The ideal temperature for baking a hamburger potato casserole is 350°F (177°C). This temperature will ensure that the potatoes cook through and the hamburger is cooked through without burning or drying out the casserole.
Try More Recipes:
- Buffalo Chicken Casserole Pioneer Woman
- Pioneer Woman Chicken Parmesan Casserole
- Pioneer Woman Chicken Noodle Casserole
Pioneer Woman Hamburger Potato Casserole Nutrition Fact
- Calories: 413
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Cholesterol: 73mg
- Sodium: 823mg
- Carbohydrates: 39g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 5g
- Protein: 24g