Pioneer Woman’s Cornbread Salad is a hearty and flavorful side dish that is easy. It is a combination of crumbled cornbread, diced tomatoes, black beans, corn, green onions, and a dressing made from mayonnaise, sour cream, and spices. The salad is typically served chilled and can be a side dish or a main course. It is known for its unique combination of flavors and textures.
More Salad Recipes
Why You Will Love This Salad
- Unique combination of flavors and textures
- Easy to make with common ingredients
- Customizable to your preferences
- A great way to use up leftover cornbread
- Perfect for summer picnics and potlucks.
- A great balance of sweet and savory
- Can be served chilled or warm.
- Can be made ahead of time, making it perfect for busy weeknights or entertaining.
Pioneer Woman Cornbread Salad Ingredients
- Cornbread (homemade or store-bought)
- Green bell pepper
- Red onion
- Cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Ranch dressing
- Salt and pepper
- Optional: additional vegetables such as cucumber, corn, black beans or cooked chicken or turkey.
How To Make Pioneer Woman Cornbread Salad
- Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crispy. Remove from skillet and let cool.
- Crumble the cooled bacon and set aside.
- Crumble the cornbread into a large mixing bowl.
- Dice the tomatoes, bell pepper, and onion and add them to the mixing bowl.
- Add the crumbled bacon and shredded cheese to the mixing bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, sour cream, and ranch dressing.
- Pour the dressing over the cornbread mixture and stir until everything is evenly coated.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Optional : You can top with additional vegetables such as cucumber, corn, black beans or cooked chicken or turkey.
Note: If you are using store-bought cornbread, you may want to toast it first to give it a nice crunch.
How To Store Cornbread Salad
- In The Fridge: Cornbread salad should be stored in the refrigerator if it will be eaten within 3 days. Place the salad in an airtight container or wrap it tightly in plastic wrap.
- In The Freezer: If you plan to keep the salad for longer than 3 days, it can be frozen. Place the salad in an airtight container or wrap it tightly in plastic wrap. Place the container or wrapped salad in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw the salad in the refrigerator before serving.
What To Serve With Cornbread Salad
Cornbread salad can be served with a variety of sides, including grilled or roasted vegetables, roasted potatoes, a simple green salad, or a bean dish. If you’re looking for a heartier main meal, you could also serve it with a protein such as grilled chicken, fish, or steak.
- Baked beans
- Fried okra
- Fried green tomatoes
- Mashed potatoes
- Macaroni and cheese
- Fried squash
- Sweet potato fries
- Collard greens
- Baked potato wedges
- Fried pickles
Can I Make Cornbread Salad Ahead Of Time
Yes, you can make cornbread salad ahead of time. It’s best to assemble the salad and refrigerate it for several hours before serving, so the flavors have a chance to blend. To ensure the cornbread does not get soggy, it is recommended to wait to add the dressing until right before serving.
How To Reheat Cornbread Salad
- In The Oven: Preheat your oven to 350°F. Place the cornbread salad in an oven-safe dish and cover it with aluminum foil. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the center of the dish is hot.
- In The Microwave: Place the cornbread salad in a microwave-safe dish. Heat on high for 2-3 minutes, or until the center of the dish is hot.
- In The Air Fryer: Preheat your air fryer to 350°F. Place the cornbread salad in the air fryer basket and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until the center of the dish is hot.
- In The Stove: Place the cornbread salad in a saucepan and warm over medium heat for 8-10 minutes, or until the center of the dish is hot. Stir occasionally to ensure even heating.
- Classic Cornbread Salad: This classic cornbread salad recipe is a southern favorite. It starts with cubed cornbread and is tossed with a mix of cheese, tomatoes, onions, and bacon for a flavorful combination.
- Mexican-Style Cornbread Salad: Spice up your cornbread salad with this Mexican-style version. It’s made with jalapenos, black beans, and taco-seasoned cornbread for a flavor-packed dish.
- Zesty Cornbread Salad: This zesty cornbread salad adds a kick with a combination of jalapenos, black olives, and a zesty Italian dressing.
- Greek-Style Cornbread Salad: Give your cornbread salad an international flare with this Greek-style version. It’s made with feta cheese, olives, and a light Greek dressing.
- Cheesy Cornbread Salad: This cheesy cornbread salad is sure to please. It’s made with a mix of cheeses, bacon, and a creamy ranch dressing.
- Asian-Inspired Cornbread Salad: Give your cornbread salad a unique twist with this Asian-inspired recipe. It’s made with a mix of vegetables, a spicy Asian dressing
Vegan, Keto, And Gluten-free Version Of Cornbread Salad
- Vegan Cornbread Salad: This vegan version of cornbread salad is a delicious and healthy dish that is dairy-free, egg-free, and oil-free. It is made with a combination of cornbread crumbs, diced tomatoes, sweet peppers, diced onion, and vegan mayonnaise. For added flavor and crunch, top with chopped nuts, fresh herbs, and vegan cheese.
- Keto Cornbread Salad: This low-carb version of cornbread salad is perfect for a keto diet. It is made with a combination of almond flour, flaxseed meal, and bacon. Instead of traditional mayonnaise, use a keto-friendly mayonnaise or Greek yogurt. To add flavor and crunch, top with chopped nuts and fresh herbs.
- Gluten-free Cornbread Salad: This gluten-free version of cornbread salad is an easy and delicious dish. It is made with a combination of gluten-free cornbread crumbs, diced tomatoes, sweet peppers, diced onion, and a gluten-free mayonnaise. For added flavor and crunch, top with chopped nuts, fresh herbs, and vegan cheese.
- Cornbread: You can substitute the cornbread with other types of bread such as croutons, or even crackers or tortilla chips to give it a different texture
- Bacon: You can use turkey bacon or pancetta for a leaner option or even use cooked and crumbled sausage or chorizo for a different taste
- Cheese: You can use different types of cheese such as Monterey Jack, Colby-Jack, or pepper jack for a different flavor.
- Mayonnaise: You can use sour cream or Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise for a tangier taste.
- Ranch dressing: You can use other types of dressing such as Italian dressing, vinaigrette, or Caesar dressing for a different taste.
- Vegetables: You can add or substitute vegetables such as cucumber, corn, black beans, avocado, or even roasted vegetables for more variety and flavor.
Other Dressings To Use
- Honey mustard dressing: Add a touch of sweetness with a honey mustard dressing for a tangy and sweet combination.
- BBQ sauce: Mix BBQ sauce with mayonnaise or sour cream for a smoky and sweet flavor.
- Greek vinaigrette: Use a Greek vinaigrette made with olive oil, lemon juice, and herbs for a light and refreshing flavor.
- Chipotle dressing: Mix chipotle peppers in adobo sauce with mayonnaise for a smoky and spicy flavor.
- Cilantro Lime Dressing: Mix fresh cilantro and lime juice with sour cream or yogurt for a tangy and fresh taste.
- Blue Cheese Dressing: Use blue cheese dressing for a tangy and rich flavor that pairs well with the bacon and cheese.
- Balsamic vinaigrette: Mix balsamic vinegar and olive oil to create a tangy and sweet dressing that works well with the vegetables.
How Did Cornbread Salad Get Its Start
The origin of cornbread salad is not well documented, but it is believed to have originated in the southern United States, where cornbread is a staple food. Cornbread salad is a dish that consists of crumbled cornbread mixed with various vegetables, cheese, and bacon, and dressed with a creamy dressing.
Can I Use Sweet Cornbread In Cornbread Salad
Yes, sweet cornbread can be used in cornbread salad. Cornbread salad is a type of side dish that is made from crumbled cornbread, vegetables, and sometimes a type of dressing. You can make your own sweet cornbread or use store-bought to make this dish.
Pioneer Woman Cornbread Salad Nutrition Facts
Amount Per Serving
- Calories 738
- Total Fat 48g
- Saturated Fat 14.7g
- Trans Fat 0.5g
- Cholesterol 102mg
- Sodium 1557mg
- Potassium 645mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7g
- Sugars 14.7g
- Protein 20.4g
- Vitamin A 21%
- Vitamin C 33%
- Calcium 30%
- Iron 18%
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories 738
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat 48g74%
- Saturated Fat 14.7g74%
- Trans Fat 0.5g
- Cholesterol 102mg34%
- Sodium 1557mg65%
- Potassium 645mg19%
- Total Carbohydrate 57g19%
- Dietary Fiber 8.7g35%
- Sugars 14.7g
- Protein 20.4g41%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily value may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.