Chicken Tortilla Soup is a flavorful and comforting dish that has become a staple in many households. It is easy to make, versatile, and perfect for any time of year. Among the various recipes out there, Pioneer Woman’s Chicken Tortilla Soup stands out for its delicious blend of spices, hearty ingredients, and simple preparation. In this article, we will explore the history of this popular dish, its key ingredients, and step-by-step instructions on how to make Pioneer Woman’s version of Chicken Tortilla Soup.
More Recipes From us:
- Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Pioneer Woman Homemade Cream Of Chicken Soup
- Jamie Oliver Whole Chicken Soup
There are several reasons why you’ll love Pioneer Woman’s Chicken Tortilla Soup:
- Delicious blend of spices: The soup is flavored with a perfect blend of spices like cumin, chili powder, and paprika, which gives it a warm and comforting taste.
- Hearty ingredients: The soup is loaded with healthy and hearty ingredients like chicken, black beans, and corn, making it a satisfying meal.
- Easy to make: The recipe is straightforward and easy to follow, making it perfect for beginners or busy weeknights.
- Versatile: You can easily customize the soup to your liking by adjusting the spices, adding different vegetables or toppings, or making it vegetarian or vegan.
- Perfect for any time of year: This soup is a great option for colder months, but it’s also light enough to enjoy during warmer weather.
What Is Pioneer Woman Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe?
Pioneer Woman’s Chicken Tortilla Soup is a warm and comforting dish that is made with shredded cooked chicken, black beans, corn, diced tomatoes and green chilies, and a delicious blend of spices like cumin, chili powder, and smoked paprika. The soup is simmered in low-sodium chicken broth and is finished with a squeeze of lime juice and fresh cilantro. To serve, the soup is topped with crushed tortilla chips, diced avocado, and shredded Monterey Jack cheese. This recipe is easy to make, versatile, and perfect for any time of year.
Pioneer Woman Chicken Tortilla Soup Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 can (10 oz) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) whole-kernel corn, drained
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- Juice of 1 lime
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and diced
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
How To Make Pioneer Woman Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, bell peppers, and garlic and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cumin, chili powder, and smoked paprika and stir to combine.
- Add the diced tomatoes and green chilies, chicken broth, shredded chicken, black beans, corn, tomato paste, and lime juice. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Stir in the cilantro.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and top with crushed tortilla chips, diced avocado, and shredded cheese. Enjoy!
Here are some recipe tips for making Pioneer Woman’s Chicken Tortilla Soup:
- Use rotisserie chicken: To save time, you can use a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store instead of cooking your own chicken.
- Adjust the spice level: You can adjust the amount of chili powder, cumin, and smoked paprika to your taste. If you prefer a milder soup, use less chili powder.
- Add more vegetables: You can add more vegetables like zucchini, carrots, or celery to the soup to make it even heartier and more nutritious.
- Make it vegetarian or vegan: To make the soup vegetarian or vegan, simply omit the chicken and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. You can also add extra vegetables or use tofu or tempeh as a protein source.
- Top it with your favorite toppings: The soup is delicious on its own, but you can also top it with your favorite toppings like sour cream, chopped tomatoes, or sliced jalapenos.
- Serve with a side: Serve the soup with a side of tortilla chips or warm crusty bread to make it even more satisfying.
What To Serve With Chicken Tortilla Soup?
There are many delicious sides that pair well with Chicken Tortilla Soup. Here are a few ideas:
- Tortilla chips: Crushed tortilla chips are a classic topping for this soup, but you can also serve them on the side for a satisfying crunch.
- Avocado salad: A simple avocado salad with diced avocado, tomato, and red onion dressed with lime juice and salt is a refreshing and healthy side.
- Cornbread: Cornbread is a classic Southern side that pairs well with the warm and comforting flavors of the soup.
- Rice: Serve the soup over a bed of fluffy white rice to make it even more filling.
- Quesadillas: Serve Chicken Tortilla Soup with cheesy quesadillas for a satisfying and hearty meal.
- Salad: A side salad with mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, and a tangy vinaigrette is a great way to add some greens to your meal.
- Guacamole: A side of guacamole with tortilla chips is another delicious way to enjoy the flavors of the soup.
How To Store Chicken Tortilla Soup?
To store Chicken Tortilla Soup, follow these steps:
Note: If you want to freeze the soup, it’s best to do so before adding the toppings like tortilla chips, avocado, and cheese. The toppings don’t freeze well and can become soggy when thawed. The soup can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.
How To Reheat Chicken Tortilla Soup?
To reheat Chicken Tortilla Soup, you can follow these steps:
- Transfer the soup: Transfer the soup from the fridge or freezer to a microwave-safe bowl or a pot on the stove.
- Microwave: If using a microwave, heat the soup on high for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally until heated through.
- Stovetop: If using a stovetop, heat the soup over medium heat, stirring occasionally until heated through.
- Check the temperature: To make sure the soup is fully heated, check the temperature with a food thermometer. The soup should be heated to 165°F (74°C) before serving.
- Add toppings: Once the soup is heated through, you can add your desired toppings like crushed tortilla chips, shredded cheese, and sliced avocado.
Note: If you are reheating the soup from frozen, it’s best to thaw it in the fridge overnight before reheating. This will ensure that the soup heats evenly and doesn’t overcook on the outside while still being cold on the inside.
How long does it take to make Chicken Tortilla Soup
Chicken Tortilla Soup can generally be made in around 30 minutes. This includes the time it takes to prepare the ingredients and cook the soup.
Is Chicken Tortilla Soup healthy?
Yes, Chicken Tortilla Soup can be a very healthy dish. The soup is packed with protein from the chicken, and is also low in fat and high in vitamins and minerals from the vegetables. Additionally, the soup is high in fiber from the corn tortillas or tortilla chips.
Can Chicken Tortilla Soup be made vegetarian?
Yes, Chicken Tortilla Soup can easily be made vegetarian by substituting the chicken for a plant-based protein such as tofu, tempeh, or beans.
Can Chicken Tortilla Soup be made in a slow cooker?
Yes, Chicken Tortilla Soup can be made in a slow cooker. To make the soup in a slow cooker, simply combine all of the ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
Does Chicken Tortilla Soup need to be served hot?
Chicken Tortilla Soup can be served either hot or cold. It is typically served hot, but can also be enjoyed cold on a hot summer day.
What other toppings can be added to Chicken Tortilla Soup?
Other toppings that can be added to Chicken Tortilla Soup include diced tomatoes, cilantro, green onions, corn, black beans, and lime juice.
Try More Recipes:
Pioneer Woman Chicken Tortilla Soup Nutrition Fact
- Calories: 220
- Fat: 6.5g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 30mg
- Sodium: 690mg
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Fiber: 4g
- Sugars: 4g
- Protein: 12g