Chicken Rice Casserole is a hearty and flavorful dish that is perfect for a family dinner or a potluck gathering. This casserole combines tender chunks of chicken, savory rice, and creamy sauce, all baked to perfection in a single dish. It is a simple and convenient meal that can be easily customized to suit your taste preferences and dietary needs. Whether you are looking for a comforting weeknight dinner or a dish to share with friends and family, Chicken Rice Casserole is sure to be a hit. In this article, we will provide you with a recipe for a classic Chicken Rice Casserole, as well as tips for customizing the dish and serving it up in style. So, let’s get started!
Try More Recipes:
- French Bread Casserole Pioneer Woman
- Joanna Gaines’ French Toast Casserole
- Jamie Oliver Seafood Casserole
Why You Will Love This Pioneer Woman Chicken Rice Casserole
- It is easy to make: This casserole is simple to prepare and requires minimal effort. Simply combine the ingredients in a baking dish and pop it in the oven – no fuss, no muss.
- It is customizable: Chicken Rice Casserole is a versatile dish that can be easily customized to suit your taste preferences and dietary needs. You can use different types of rice, add in your favorite vegetables, and choose your preferred seasonings and sauces to create a unique and delicious casserole.
- It is perfect for a crowd: This casserole is perfect for a family dinner or a potluck gathering, as it can be easily doubled or tripled to feed a larger group. It is also a great option for meal prep, as it can be made in advance and reheated throughout the week.
- It is budget-friendly: Chicken Rice Casserole is an economical dish that is perfect for stretching your food budget. It is made with affordable and readily available ingredients, making it a cost-effective meal option.
What Is Chicken Rice Casserole?
Chicken Rice Casserole is a one-dish meal that combines tender chunks of chicken, savory rice, and creamy sauce, all baked to perfection in a single dish. It is a simple and convenient meal that is perfect for a family dinner or a potluck gathering.
This casserole typically consists of a few basic ingredients: cooked chicken, rice, vegetables, broth, and a creamy sauce. The chicken and rice are combined with vegetables, such as onions, bell peppers, and carrots, and then mixed with a flavorful broth and a creamy sauce, such as a mixture of mayonnaise and sour cream. The casserole is then baked in the oven until the rice is tender and the chicken is cooked through.
What Is Pioneer Woman Chicken Rice Casserole Ingredients?
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced or shredded
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 cup diced bell peppers
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
How To Make Pioneer Woman Chicken Rice Casserole
- Prepare your oven by preheating it to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius).
- Combine the chicken that has been cooked, the rice that has been prepared, the onions, the bell peppers, and the carrots in a large bowl.
- The chicken broth, mayonnaise, sour cream, garlic powder, onion powder, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper should each be combined in their own bowl.
- After pouring the sauce over the chicken and rice combination, toss it for a few minutes until everything is incorporated.
- Place the mixture in a baking dish and level the surface with a spatula.
- Cook for thirty minutes with the dish covered with aluminum foil.
- Take off the aluminum foil and continue baking for another 10 to 15 minutes, or until the casserole is piping hot and bubbling. Enjoy while it’s still hot!
Here are a few tips for making the perfect Chicken Rice Casserole:
- Use cooked chicken: For this recipe, you will need 2 cups of cooked chicken. You can use leftover roast chicken, grilled chicken, or rotisserie chicken, or you can cook the chicken yourself using your preferred method. If cooking the chicken yourself, you can bake, grill, or pan-fry the chicken until it is cooked through and then dice or shred it into small pieces.
- Use cooked rice: This recipe calls for 2 cups of cooked rice. You can use any type of rice that you prefer, such as long-grain white rice, brown rice, or wild rice. If you are using uncooked rice, you will need to cook it according to the package instructions before adding it to the casserole.
- Customize the vegetables: You can use any vegetables that you like in this casserole. Some options include onions, bell peppers, carrots, peas, corn, or mushrooms. You can also add in other vegetables, such as zucchini, broccoli, or green beans, to add extra nutrition and flavor to the dish.
- Adjust the seasonings: Feel free to adjust the seasonings to suit your taste preferences. You can add in more or less garlic, onion, basil, or oregano, or you can use other herbs and spices, such as thyme, rosemary, or paprika, to give the casserole a unique flavor. You can also add in a pinch of hot sauce or a sprinkle of red pepper flakes to give the casserole a bit of heat.
- Use broth instead of water: Using broth instead of water to cook the rice will give the casserole extra flavor and depth. You can use chicken broth, beef broth, or vegetable broth, depending on your preference.
- Customize the sauce: You can use different types of sauce in this casserole to give it a unique flavor. Some options include a mixture of mayonnaise and sour cream, a creamy tomato sauce, or a white wine and cheese sauce. Experiment with different sauces to find the combination that you like best.
What To Serve With Pioneer Woman Chicken Rice Casserole?
There are many delicious side dishes that pair well with Chicken Rice Casserole. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Salad: A refreshing and crisp salad is the perfect complement to a rich and hearty casserole like Chicken Rice Casserole. You can serve a simple green salad with a light vinaigrette, or you can go for something more elaborate, such as a spinach salad with cranberries and almonds or a Caesar salad with croutons and parmesan.
- Roasted vegetables: Roasted vegetables, such as asparagus, broccoli, or Brussels sprouts, are a tasty and healthy side dish that pairs well with Chicken Rice Casserole. Simply toss the vegetables in a little olive oil, salt, and pepper and roast them in the oven until tender and caramelized.
- Garlic bread: A warm and crusty loaf of garlic bread is a classic side dish that is always a hit with Chicken Rice Casserole. Simply slice a baguette or a loaf of Italian bread, spread with a mixture of butter and minced garlic, and bake until golden and fragrant.
- Mashed potatoes: Creamy mashed potatoes are a comfort food classic that goes well with Chicken Rice Casserole. Simply boil potatoes until tender, mash them with butter, milk, and salt, and serve hot.
- Steamed vegetables: For a lighter and healthier option, you can serve steamed vegetables, such as broccoli, green beans, or asparagus, on the side. Simply steam the vegetables until tender and serve with a sprinkle of lemon juice or a drizzle of melted butter.
How To Store Pioneer Woman Chicken Rice Casserole?
In The Fridge:
In The Freezer:
To freeze Chicken Rice Casserole, let the casserole cool to room temperature after baking. Then, transfer it to a sealable container or wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Place the container in the freezer and store for up to 3 months.
To thaw Chicken Rice Casserole, remove it from the freezer and place it in the fridge to thaw overnight. Alternatively, you can thaw the casserole in the microwave using the defrost setting. If you are in a hurry, you can also thaw the casserole in a bowl of cold water, changing the water every 30 minutes until the casserole is thawed.
How To Reheat Pioneer Woman Chicken Rice Casserole?
In The Oven:
Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C). Place the Chicken Rice Casserole in an oven-safe dish and cover with foil. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until the casserole is heated through. If the casserole is frozen, you may need to increase the cooking time to allow it to thaw before reheating.
Place the Chicken Rice Casserole in a microwave-safe dish and cover with a paper towel or microwave-safe lid. Reheat on the medium or low power setting, stirring every few minutes until the casserole is hot. If the casserole is frozen, you may need to use the defrost setting to thaw it before reheating.
Either method will work well for reheating Chicken Rice Casserole, so choose the one that is most convenient for you. Be sure to follow the appropriate guidelines for reheating food safely to avoid any foodborne illness.
Can I make Chicken Rice Casserole ahead of time?
Yes, Chicken Rice Casserole is a convenient dish that can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge or freezer for later use. Simply prepare the casserole according to the recipe instructions, let it cool to room temperature, and then transfer it to a sealable container or wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
Can I use brown rice in Chicken Rice Casserole?
Yes, you can use brown rice in Chicken Rice Casserole. Simply cook the brown rice according to the package instructions and then use it in place of the white rice in the recipe. Keep in mind that brown rice takes longer to cook than white rice, so you may need to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Can I use leftover roast chicken in Chicken Rice Casserole?
Yes, you can use leftover roast chicken in Chicken Rice Casserole. Simply dice or shred the roast chicken into small pieces and use it in place of the cooked chicken in the recipe.
Can I use frozen vegetables in Chicken Rice Casserole?
Yes, you can use frozen vegetables in Chicken Rice Casserole. Simply thaw the vegetables according to the package instructions and then use them in place of the fresh vegetables in the recipe. Keep in mind that frozen vegetables may release more liquid as they cook, so you may need to adjust the recipe accordingly.
Can I use a different type of sauce in Chicken Rice Casserole?
Yes, you can use a different type of sauce in Chicken Rice Casserole. Some options include a mixture of mayonnaise and sour cream, a creamy tomato sauce, or a white wine and cheese sauce. Experiment with different sauces to find the combination that you like best.
Can I use a different type of cheese in Chicken Rice Casserole?
Yes, you can use a different type of cheese in Chicken Rice Casserole. Some options include cheddar, Monterey Jack, or Gouda. Simply shred the cheese and use it in place of the mozzarella in the recipe.
Can I make Chicken Rice Casserole gluten-free?
To make Chicken Rice Casserole gluten-free, you can use a gluten-free rice or a gluten-free grain, such as quinoa or millet, in place of the white rice. You will also need to use a gluten-free chicken broth and a gluten-free flour or cornstarch to thicken the sauce.
Can I make Chicken Rice Casserole keto-friendly?
To make Chicken Rice Casserole keto-friendly, you can omit the rice and use a keto-friendly grain, such as cauliflower rice or broccoli rice, in its place. You can also omit the flour or use a keto-friendly flour alternative, such as almond flour or coconut flour, to thicken the sauce. Be sure to check the nutrition information to ensure that the casserole meets your specific dietary needs.
Try More Recipes:
Pioneer Woman Chicken Rice Casserole Nutrition Fact
Serving size: 1 cup (250g)