Craving a delicious and hearty cheeseburger but want to switch things up? Look no further than Pioneer Woman’s Cheeseburger Pie recipe. This dish combines all the classic cheeseburger flavors into a comforting, easy-to-make pie.
Perfect for a weeknight dinner or a hearty lunch, this recipe is sure to be a hit with the whole family. So, preheat your oven, and let’s get started on this delicious meal.
What Is The Traditional Cheeseburger Pie Made Of
The traditional Cheeseburger Pie recipe includes ground beef, diced onions, and shredded cheddar cheese as the main ingredients, mixed and placed in an unbaked pie crust. The mixture is then topped with milk, eggs, ketchup, and mustard before baking in the oven until golden brown.
Who Invented Cheeseburger Pie
The origin of the Cheeseburger Pie has yet to be discovered. However, the cheeseburger pie has been around for quite some time and was likely created by a home cook or restaurant as a novel take on the traditional pie form. Multiple variations on the original recipe have developed over time.
What Is Pioneer Woman’s Cheeseburger Pie
Pioneer Woman’s Cheeseburger Pie is a savory and comforting dish that combines the classic flavors of a cheeseburger in a pie form. Created by Ree Drummond, a popular television personality and cookbook author known as the Pioneer Woman, the recipe typically includes ground beef, diced onions, and shredded cheddar cheese as the main ingredients.
It’s mixed together, placed in an unbaked pie crust, topped with a mixture of milk, eggs, ketchup, and mustard, and then baked in the oven until golden brown. This dish is perfect for busy weeknights or for feeding a crowd and is a main course.
Pioneer Woman Cheeseburger Pie Ingredients
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 (9-inch) unbaked pie crust
How To Make Pioneer Woman Cheeseburger Pie
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef and onion until the beef is browned and the onion is softened—season with salt and pepper.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the shredded cheese, milk, eggs, ketchup, and mustard.
- Roll out the pie crust and place it into a 9-inch pie dish.
- Pour the beef mixture into the crust.
- Pour the cheese mixture over the beef.
- Bake the pie for 25-30 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the filling is set.
- Let cool for a few minutes before serving.
How Long Will Cheeseburger Pie Last In The Fridge
Cheeseburger pie can last in the refrigerator for 3-4 days if stored properly. To ensure the pie stays fresh, it’s best to let it cool completely before storing it in an airtight container or covered with plastic wrap.
How To Freeze Cheeseburger Pie
When stored properly in the freezer, Cheeseburger Pie can last for up to 3 months; you can follow these steps:
- Allow the pie to cool completely after baking.
- Wrap the pie tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil, removing as much air as possible.
- Place the wrapped pie in a resealable plastic freezer bag and label it with the date.
- Place the bag in the freezer.
How To Defrost Frozen Cheeseburger Pie
- Refrigerator method: Take the pie out of the freezer and place it in the refrigerator to thaw overnight. It should take around 8-12 hours to thaw in the refrigerator.
- Room temperature method: If you’re in a hurry, remove the pie from the freezer and let it thaw on the counter at room temperature. It should take around 2-3 hours to thaw on the counter.
- Microwave method: You can also defrost the pie in the microwave. Remove the plastic wrap or aluminum foil, place the pie on a microwave-safe plate, and defrost on the defrost setting. Check the pie every few minutes to ensure it is defrosting evenly. It should take around 5-10 minutes to defrost in the microwave.
How To Reheat Cheeseburger Pie
- Oven method: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Place the pie on a baking sheet or oven-safe dish and cover it with aluminum foil. Heat the pie in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Microwave method: Place the slice of pie on a microwave-safe plate and cover it with a microwave-safe lid or paper towel. Reheat high for 1-2 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Stovetop method: This method is for slices of pie, place a skillet over medium heat, place the slice of pie and cover it with a lid or aluminum foil. Cook until the pie is heated and the cheese is melted, which should take around 3-5 minutes.
What To Serve With Cheeseburger Pie
When serving Cheeseburger Pie, a variety of side dishes complement its hearty and savory flavors. Some popular options include a fresh green salad, roasted or mashed potatoes, grilled or sautéed vegetables, fries or onion rings, coleslaw, baked beans, pickles, and macaroni and cheese.
Here are some of the best sides to go with cheeseburger pie:
- Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Potato Soup
- Pioneer Woman Prime Rib Soup
- Ina Garten Chicken Cordon Bleu
- Bobby Flay Green Beans Recipe
- Pioneer Woman Pinto Beans Slow Cooker
Cheeseburger Pie Recipe Variations
- Low-Carb Cheeseburger Pie: This variation uses a low-carb crust made from almond flour or coconut flour, and uses a cheese-based filling instead of a crust. It’s perfect for those following a low-carb or ketogenic diet.
- Veggie Cheeseburger Pie: This variation adds vegetables such as mushrooms, bell peppers, and zucchini to the filling, making it a healthier and more balanced option.
- Bacon Cheeseburger Pie: This variation adds crispy bacon to the filling, giving it a smoky and salty flavor.
- Cheeseburger Pot Pie: This variation adds a flaky pie crust on top of the beef and cheese filling, giving it a more traditional pot pie feel.
- Ground beef substitute: To make the recipe more healthy or to suit dietary restrictions, ground turkey, chicken, or plant-based meat can be used as a substitute for beef.
- Dairy-free cheese substitute: To make the recipe dairy-free, you can use a variety of non-dairy cheese options such as vegan cheddar or mozzarella.
- Gluten-free crust substitute: To make the recipe gluten-free, you can use a gluten-free crust made from almond flour or coconut flour, or you can use a crust made from gluten-free oats or rice flour.
- Ketchup substitute: To add a different flavor to the recipe, you can use barbecue sauce or hot sauce instead of ketchup.
- Mustard substitute: To add a different flavor to the recipe, you can use Dijon mustard or honey mustard instead of yellow mustard.
- Pie crust substitute: To make the recipe more easy and fast you can use a pre-made pie crust or puff pastry instead of making your own crust.
Pioneer Woman Cheeseburger Pie Nutrition Facts
|Total Fat||23.0 g|
|Saturated Fat||11.3 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||8.1 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||8.0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0.7 g|