If you’re looking for a quick and easy, yet delicious family-friendly meal, this Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole from the Pioneer Woman is the perfect solution! This casserole combines crunchy vegetables, creamy sauce, and savory cheese for a comforting side dish that everyone will love. Not only is this casserole easy to prepare, but it’s also packed with nutritional goodness, thanks to the addition of broccoli and cauliflower. With just a few simple ingredients and a few minutes of prep time, you can have a warming and nutritious casserole on the table in no time!
More Recipes From us:
- Pioneer Woman Green Bean Casserole With Mushrooms
- Tex Mex Chicken Casserole Pioneer Woman
- Pioneer Woman Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole
- It’s a comforting and hearty dish that’s perfect for a family meal or potluck.
- The combination of broccoli and cauliflower provides a variety of nutrients, and the cheese sauce adds rich flavor and creaminess.
- The recipe is easy to make and can be prepared ahead of time, making it a convenient option for busy weeknights.
- Leftovers can be stored and reheated for a quick and satisfying meal throughout the week.
What Is Pioneer Woman Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole Recipe?
Pioneer Woman Green Bean Casserole With Mushrooms is a popular side dish recipe created by Ree Drummond, also known as the Pioneer Woman. The casserole typically features fresh green beans, bacon, mushrooms, and a creamy sauce made with chicken broth and heavy cream. The casserole is then topped with crispy fried onions and baked until golden brown and bubbly. The dish is a classic comfort food that is often served during Thanksgiving and other holiday meals, but can be enjoyed year-round as well. It is a perfect side dish for any dinner or potluck party.
Pioneer Woman Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole Ingredients
- 1 head of broccoli, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 head of cauliflower, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
How To Make Pioneer Woman Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Spread the chopped broccoli and cauliflower on a baking sheet and toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Roast the vegetables in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until tender and lightly browned.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes to create a roux.
- Gradually whisk in the milk, stirring constantly to prevent lumps from forming.
- Add the Parmesan cheese, cheddar cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, and oregano to the saucepan and stir until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the roasted broccoli and cauliflower and stir to coat evenly.
- Transfer the mixture to a baking dish and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and lightly browned. Serve hot.
Here are some recipe tips for Pioneer Woman Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole:
- Blanch the broccoli and cauliflower: To avoid the vegetables becoming too mushy or overcooked, it’s important to blanch them in boiling water for a few minutes before adding them to the casserole.
- Use sharp cheddar cheese: Sharp cheddar cheese has a stronger flavor and melts better than mild cheddar, making it a good choice for this casserole.
- Add some seasoning: While the cheese and cream of mushroom soup provide some flavor, you can also add additional seasoning to the casserole, such as garlic powder, onion powder, or paprika.
- Top with breadcrumbs: For a crispy, crunchy topping, sprinkle breadcrumbs over the casserole before baking. You can use store-bought breadcrumbs or make your own by toasting bread and processing it in a food processor.
- Customize the recipe: If you prefer a different type of cheese or want to add other vegetables or ingredients to the casserole, feel free to customize the recipe to your liking.
- Make it ahead of time: This casserole can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator or freezer until ready to bake. Just be sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly if baking from cold.
What To Serve With Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole?
Pioneer Woman’s Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole is a hearty and satisfying dish that can be enjoyed on its own or paired with other complementary dishes. Here are some ideas for what to serve with this casserole:
- Roasted or grilled chicken: This casserole pairs well with simple roasted or grilled chicken, which can provide additional protein and a nice contrast in texture and flavor.
- Green salad: A fresh green salad with a light vinaigrette dressing can be a nice complement to the rich and creamy casserole, providing a refreshing contrast and some extra nutrients.
- Crusty bread: A slice of crusty bread can be a great way to soak up the delicious sauce from the casserole and add some additional texture to the meal.
- Rice or quinoa: Serving the casserole over a bed of rice or quinoa can help balance out the richness of the dish and provide some additional fiber and protein.
- Steamed vegetables: Steamed or roasted vegetables, such as asparagus or green beans, can provide a nice contrast to the creamy casserole and add some extra vitamins and minerals to the meal.
How To Store Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole?
Here are some ways to store broccoli cauliflower casserole:
- Refrigerator: Once the casserole has cooled down to room temperature, cover it with a plastic wrap or an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- Freezer: To freeze the casserole, allow it to cool down completely and then transfer it to a freezer-safe container or a Ziploc bag. Label the container with the name and date and freeze it for up to 3 months.
- Portion out and freeze: You can also portion out the casserole and freeze it in individual servings. This way, you can reheat only what you need, and it will thaw more quickly.
- Leftovers: If you have any leftovers, transfer them to an airtight container and store them in the fridge for up to 2-3 days. Reheat them in the oven or microwave before serving.
How To Reheat Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole?
There are several ways to reheat broccoli cauliflower casserole, including:
Be sure to stir the casserole occasionally during reheating to ensure that it heats evenly. Also, if the casserole seems dry after reheating, you can add a splash of milk or cream to moisten it up.
How is Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole cooked?
Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole is usually cooked in a preheated 375°F oven for about 45 minutes. The casserole should be covered with foil during the first 25 minutes of cooking time, then uncovered for the remaining 20 minutes to allow the topping to brown and the casserole to crisp.
How can I make Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole healthier?
To make Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole healthier, you could use low-fat or non-fat cheese, use a reduced sodium cream of mushroom soup, replace some of the cheese with shredded vegetables, use whole wheat breadcrumbs for the topping, and reduce the amount of butter or oil used in the recipe.
Can I make Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole ahead of time?
Yes, you can make Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole ahead of time. To do so, prepare the casserole as directed in the recipe, but do not bake it. Instead, cover the casserole and refrigerate it until ready to bake. When ready to bake, remove the casserole from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature before baking.
Can I make Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole in a slow cooker?
Yes, you can make Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole in a slow cooker. To do so, prepare the casserole as directed in the recipe, but instead of baking it in the oven, place it in the slow cooker and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
Try More Recipes:
Pioneer Woman Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole Nutrition Fact
- Calories: 324
- Total Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 74mg
- Sodium: 599mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 32g
- Dietary Fiber: 6g
- Sugars: 8g
- Protein: 16g