Meatloaf is a classic comfort food that never goes out of style. And when it comes to meatloaf, Iron Chef Michael Symon’s recipe is the ultimate version. This hearty and flavorful meatloaf is made with a blend of beef and pork, and is packed with savory herbs and spices.
It’s the perfect dish for a cozy family dinner or a casual get-together. Keep reading to learn how to make this mouth-watering meatloaf recipe from Michael Symon.
- This Michael Symon meatloaf recipe is a must-try dish for any meat lover. The combination of beef and pork provides a rich and savory flavor that is sure to please.
- The use of herbs and spices, such as thyme and paprika, adds depth and complexity to the dish. The meatloaf is moist, juicy and packed with flavor, making it a perfect comfort food.
- Additionally, it is a versatile dish that can be served as a main course for a family dinner, or as a hearty sandwich for lunch.
- It’s also relatively easy to make and can be customized to fit personal taste by adding or removing ingredients. Overall, this meatloaf recipe is a delicious and satisfying dish that will be a hit with everyone.
What Is Meatloaf?
Meatloaf is a traditional dish made from ground meat, such as beef, pork, chicken, or a combination of meats, mixed with ingredients like breadcrumbs, eggs, and spices, and then baked in the oven. It is a classic comfort food that has been enjoyed for centuries. The origins of meatloaf can be traced back to ancient Rome, where a similar dish called “isicia omentata” was made with ground pork, pine nuts, and spices.
The dish then evolved over time and was brought to the United States by immigrants. In the US, meatloaf is often served with a sweet glaze or sauce on top, and is a popular dish for family dinners and comfort food cravings. Meatloaf can also be served cold, as a sandwich or salad topping.
Michael Symon Meatloaf Ingredients
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons mustard
How To Make Michael Symon Meatloaf
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, ground pork, diced onion, minced garlic, breadcrumbs, eggs, milk, parsley, thyme, paprika, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Shape the meat mixture into a loaf shape and place it in a baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard. Spread the mixture over the top of the meatloaf.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
Note: This recipe can be adapted to fit your taste. You can add other ingredients such as diced mushrooms, grated carrots, or chopped bell peppers to the meat mixture, or you can use different herbs like rosemary or oregano.
Here are a few tips to help you make the perfect meatloaf:
What To Serve With Meatloaf?
Meatloaf is a classic dish that pairs well with a variety of side dishes. Here are a few ideas of what to serve with meatloaf:
- Mashed Potatoes: Creamy mashed potatoes are a classic pairing for meatloaf.
- Roasted vegetables: Roasted vegetables such as carrots, green beans, or Brussels sprouts are a great way to add color and nutrition to your meal.
- Salad: A green salad with a light dressing is a nice contrast to the richness of the meatloaf.
- Grilled or sautéed vegetables: Grilled or sautéed vegetables such as zucchini, bell peppers, or mushrooms are a great way to add flavor and nutrition to your meal.
- Baked or mashed sweet potatoes: Baked or mashed sweet potatoes are a great way to add sweetness and color to your meal.
- Mac and Cheese: A classic comforting side dish that pairs well with meatloaf.
- Coleslaw: A tangy coleslaw is a great way to add a crunchy and refreshing contrast to the meatloaf.
- Baked beans: A side of baked beans is a classic pairing for meatloaf, adding a smoky and sweet flavor to the meal.
- Grits or Polenta: Grits or polenta are a great way to add a creamy and comforting side dish to your meal.
- Gravy: A gravy made from the pan juices is a great way to add moisture and flavor to your meatloaf.
Overall, meatloaf is a versatile dish that can be paired with many different side dishes, making it a great addition to any meal.
How To Store Meatloaf?
Here are a few tips for storing meatloaf:
Note: When reheating meatloaf, you can add a bit of water or beef broth to the pan to keep it from drying out. Also, you can cover the meatloaf with foil to prevent the top from getting too brown.
How To Reheat Meatloaf?
Here are a few ways to reheat meatloaf:
- Oven: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the meatloaf in a baking dish and cover it with foil. Heat for 15-20 minutes, or until heated through. You can add a bit of water or beef broth to the pan to keep it from drying out.
- Microwave: Place the meatloaf in a microwave-safe dish and cover it with plastic wrap. Heat on high for 1-2 minutes, or until heated through. Stir the meatloaf every 30 seconds to ensure even heating.
- Stovetop: Place the meatloaf in a saucepan and heat over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
- Grill: If the weather is nice, you can also reheat meatloaf on the grill. Simply wrap the meatloaf in foil and place it on the grill for 5-7 minutes, or until heated through.
When reheating meatloaf, you want to be careful not to dry it out, so it’s best to reheat it in a covered dish or wrap it in foil to lock in moisture.
Can I make meatloaf ahead of time?
Yes, the meatloaf can be prepared in advance, shaped, covered, and stored in the refrigerator for up to twenty-four hours before being baked.
Can I use different types of meat for meatloaf?
In the case of meatloaf, it is possible to make it with a variety of ground meats, including turkey, chicken, or even lamb.
Can I make meatloaf gluten-free?
You may prepare gluten-free meatloaf by substituting regular breadcrumbs for gluten-free breadcrumbs or oats for regular breadcrumbs in the recipe.
Can I add vegetables to meatloaf?
It is possible to incorporate veggies into the meatloaf recipe; some examples include grated carrots, diced mushrooms, and diced bell peppers.
Can I make meatloaf without breadcrumbs?
It is possible to prepare meatloaf without using breadcrumbs by substituting other ingredients such as ground oats, pork rinds, or almond flour.
Can I make meatloaf in a slow cooker?
Yes, you can make meatloaf in a slow cooker by shaping the meat mixture into a loaf shape and placing it in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Try More Recipes: