Get ready to savor the flavors of summer with Michael Symon’s delicious corn pudding recipe. This simple yet satisfying dish is the perfect side for any barbecue or summer get-together. Made with fresh sweet corn, creamy milk, and a touch of sugar, this corn pudding is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. Keep reading to learn how to make this delicious dish from the Iron Chef himself.
- This Michael Symon corn pudding recipe is a crowd-pleaser for a number of reasons. Firstly, it is made with fresh sweet corn, which provides a natural sweetness and a burst of flavor.
- The creamy milk and touch of sugar add a rich, comforting texture and taste that makes this dish irresistible.
- Additionally, it is a versatile recipe that can be served as a side dish for any barbecue or summer get-together, making it perfect for any occasion.
- It is an easy recipe to make and doesn’t require any special equipment. This corn pudding is a perfect dish to try with your family and friends.
What Is Corn Pudding?
Corn pudding is a traditional American dish made with fresh or canned corn, cream, eggs, and seasonings. It is often baked in a casserole dish and served as a side dish, but can also be served as a dessert. It has a custard-like texture, but sweeter and with chunks of corn. Some versions of corn pudding can be stovetop version, made with cornmeal, milk and butter.
It is a comfort food that is typically enjoyed during the fall and winter months. It is a popular dish in the Southern United States. Some variations may include ingredients like cheese, bacon, jalapenos and herbs.
Michael Symon Corn Pudding Ingredients
- 6 ears of corn, kernels removed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
How To Make Michael Symon Corn Pudding
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the corn kernels, sugar, eggs, milk, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the mixture into a buttered 9-inch casserole dish.
- Dot the top of the pudding with butter.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until the pudding is set and golden brown on top.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving.
Note: This recipe can be adapted to fit your taste. You can add some chopped jalapenos for a little heat, or some shredded cheddar cheese for added flavor.
Here are a few tips to help you make the perfect corn pudding:
- Use fresh corn: For the best flavor, use fresh sweet corn that is in season. If you can’t find fresh corn, you can use frozen or canned corn, but make sure to drain it well.
- Adjust the sugar: The amount of sugar in the recipe can be adjusted to your taste. If you like your pudding sweeter, add more sugar.
- Use room temperature ingredients: To prevent the pudding from curdling, make sure all of the ingredients are at room temperature before mixing them together.
- Cook at the right temperature: Cooking the pudding at the right temperature is important. If the oven is too hot, the pudding will burn on the outside before it is cooked through on the inside.
- Keep an eye on the pudding: During the baking process, keep an eye on the pudding to make sure it doesn’t burn. If the top is getting too brown, cover it loosely with foil.
- Let it cool a bit before serving: The pudding will continue to thicken as it cools, so let it sit for a few minutes before serving.
- Experiment with the ingredients: You can add variations like cheese, bacon, herbs, jalapeno, or even a little bit of bourbon to the recipe to make it more interesting.
What To Serve With Corn Pudding?
Corn pudding is a versatile side dish that pairs well with a variety of main dishes. Here are a few ideas of what to serve with corn pudding:
Overall, corn pudding is a versatile dish that can be paired with many different main dishes, making it a great addition to any meal.
How To Store Creamed Corn?
Here are a few tips for storing creamed corn:
- Use an airtight container: Transfer the creamed corn to an airtight container to keep it fresh. Glass or plastic containers with tight-fitting lids work well.
- Refrigerate: Place the container in the refrigerator. Creamed corn will last for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
- Freeze: If you want to store the creamed corn for a longer period of time, you can freeze it. To freeze, let the creamed corn cool completely and transfer it to an airtight container or a heavy-duty freezer bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible before sealing the bag. It will last for up to 3 months in the freezer.
- Cool it down: Before storing the creamed corn, let it cool down to room temperature. This will help prevent bacteria growth.
Note: When reheating creamed corn, it’s a good idea to stir in a splash of milk or cream to restore its creaminess, because the starch in the corn can thicken the mixture and make it dry.
Here are a few ways to reheat corn pudding:
- Oven: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the corn pudding in a baking dish and cover it with foil. Heat for 10-15 minutes, or until heated through.
- Microwave: Place the corn pudding in a microwave-safe dish and cover it with plastic wrap. Heat on high for 1-2 minutes, or until heated through. Stir the pudding every 30 seconds to ensure even heating.
- Stovetop: Place the corn pudding in a saucepan and heat over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
Note: when reheating, if the pudding is too thick add a splash of milk or cream, or a bit of water to make it creamy again.
When reheating, keep an eye on the pudding to make sure it doesn’t burn, and be sure to stir it occasionally to ensure even heating.
Can I make corn pudding ahead of time?
Yes, you can make corn pudding ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Can I use frozen corn for corn pudding?
Yes, you can use frozen corn for corn pudding. Just make sure to thaw it and drain it before using it in the recipe.
Can I make corn pudding vegan?
Yes, you can make corn pudding vegan by using plant-based milk and replacing the eggs with a vegan egg substitute such as flax eggs or tofu.
Can I add cheese to corn pudding?
Yes, you can add shredded cheese to the corn pudding for added flavor. Cheddar, Monterey Jack or Colby are some good options.
Can I use canned corn for corn pudding?
Yes, you can use canned corn for corn pudding, but make sure to drain it well before using it in the recipe.
Can I make corn pudding gluten-free?
Yes, you can make corn pudding gluten-free by using gluten-free flour instead of regular flour and using gluten-free cornmeal if using it instead of fresh corn.
Can I make corn pudding low-carb?
Yes, you can make corn pudding low-carb by using a low-carb sweetener such as erythritol or stevia instead of sugar and using low-carb cornmeal if using it instead of fresh corn.