If you want plums that are both sweet and juicy, as well as cake that is both buttery and airy, then you are going to adore Jamie Oliver’s recipe for Upside Down Plum Cake. This dessert is wonderful for showing off to guests or for indulging in as a lovely treat for oneself in the afternoon. This cake is a great pleasure to eat because to its deliciously caramelized plum topping and its foundation of creamy vanilla sponge.
Get all of the necessary ingredients, and get ready to whip up a storm in the kitchen with Jamie Oliver’s recipe for Upside Down Plum Cake!
More Recipes From us:
- Barefoot Contessa Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- Jamie Oliver Baileys Cheesecake
- Pioneer Woman Breakfast Monkey Bread
💓 Why You’ll Love This Jamie Oliver Upside Down Plum Cake
- This Upside Down Plum Cake by Jamie Oliver is fantastic for a number of reasons, including the following:
- It is a dessert that is both stunning and spectacular, and it is ideal for use on any occasion.
- Plums that are both sweet and sour, when paired with a light and airy sponge cake, provide an appealing flavor combination.
- It is simple to prepare and does not need for any specialized tools or materials.
- Because the recipe is adaptable, you may use a variety of fruits, depending on what is available at the time.
- Because it may be eaten either warm or cold, it is an excellent choice for a sweet treat at any time of the year.
- If you have any uneaten fruit in the refrigerator, this is an excellent way to put it to use.
What Is Jamie Oliver Upside Down Plum Cake Recipe?
The mascarpone cheese sauce in this easy pasta recipe is thick and silky, making for a luxurious meal. Pasta, such as fettuccine or spaghetti, is cooked in water according to the package’s directions as a standard first step. Onions and garlic are cooked separately in olive oil until they are tender and transparent. The next step is to add heavy cream to the pan and cook it until it thickens a little. The sauce is made smooth and creamy by melting mascarpone cheese and stirring it into the cream base. When the pasta is cooked, it is mixed with the sauce to blend. Chopped fresh parsley and freshly grated Parmesan cheese are common garnishes for this meal. It’s versatile enough to work as either a main meal or a side dish.
🍝 Jamie Oliver Upside Down Plum Cake Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 8-10 plums, halved and pitted
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
🔪How To Make Jamie Oliver Upside Down Plum Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, beat the butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla.
- Gradually mix in the dry ingredients, alternating with the milk and beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Grease the bottom and sides of a 9-inch (23-cm) round cake pan with butter. Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the bottom of the pan.
- Arrange the plum halves, cut side down, in a single layer on top of the sugar. Pour the cake batter over the plums and smooth the top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Can I Substitute The Butter With Oil In Upside Down Plum Cake?
Although it is feasible to replace the butter in certain cake recipes with oil, doing so may not provide the same results when used in the recipe for Upside-Down Plum Cake. While oil often results in a cake that has a more moist texture, butter contributes taste and richness to the baked good. Because butter is called for in the recipe in particular, replacing it with oil may result in alterations to both the flavor and the consistency of the cake. If you want the finest possible outcomes, it’s better to stick as closely as you can to the recipe.
For anyone interested in preparing Jamie Oliver’s Upside Down Plum Cake, here are some helpful hints:
- Choose plums that are at their ripest, as they will be the sweetest and have the best texture in this dish.
- The cake will cook more uniformly and develop a beautiful caramelized layer on the bottom if you use a cast-iron skillet.
- Ingredients should be at room temperature before beginning the preparation. This includes the eggs, butter, and sour cream. This will ensure that the batter is well combined.
- Be careful not to overmix the batter; it should be stirred only until smooth. A cake that has been overmixed tends to be tough.
- It’s best to wait at least 10 minutes after removing the cake from the oven before attempting to turn it. Overheating the pan increases the risk of the cake crumbling or sticking to the bottom.
- This cake is great on its own, but it really shines when topped with some whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream.
- Run a knife around the edge of the skillet to loosen any plums or cake that may be trapped after you’ve flipped the cake onto a platter.
- Once the cake has cooled fully, refrigerate it in an airtight container for up to 2 days at room temperature.
🍴 What To Serve With Upside Down Plum Cake?
The Upside Down Plum Cake from Jamie Oliver is a versatile dessert that tastes well on its own or with a few toppings. Some ideas are as follows:
The alternatives are practically limitless, so feel free to get imaginative with your presentation.
How Do I Properly Prepare The Plums For The Topping?
Follow these procedures to ensure that the plums you use for the topping of the Upside Down Plum Cake are correctly prepared:
- Choose plums that are ripe but still have some bite. They should be washed and dried.
- Plums should be halved and the pit should be removed before eating.
- With a knife, cut each half into thin slices that are approximately a quarter of an inch thick.
- Place the plum slices in a circular pattern in the bottom of the cake pan that has been prepared, beginning at the ring of the pan and working your way inward.
- Keep piling the plum slices on top of one another until the whole bottom of the pan is covered.
- Using a light amount of pressure to the plum slices, create an equal layer by pressing down.
🥶 How To Store Leftovers
Here’s how you can keep your Upside Down Plum Cake leftovers fresh for a while:
Cake that won’t be eaten right away can be kept in an airtight container or cake carrier. Wax paper or parchment paper can be used to separate slices and keep them from clinging to one another. Keep the cake in the fridge for up to four days, or put it in a cold, dry area.
🌡️ How To Reheat Leftovers
Reheating leftover Jamie Oliver’s Upside Down Plum Cake can be done in a number different ways:
- Microwave: Heat a cake slice for 20 to 30 seconds on a microwave-safe dish. The cake should be cooked for further 10-second intervals before being checked.
- Oven: Prepare a 350F (175C) oven temperature. Wrap the cake in foil and put it in an oven-safe dish. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes to warm the cake thoroughly.
- Toaster oven: A slice of cake cooked in a toaster oven just needs 5-10 minutes in there to be ready to serve.
In any case, keep a close eye on the cake to make sure it doesn’t dry out from overcooking.
Can I use other fruits instead of plums for the Upside Down Plum Cake?
Other fruits may be used in place of plums in the Upside Down Plum Cake. Peaches, apples, pears, and cherries are other common options. Cooking time and sugar content should be modified to reflect the sweetness and moisture content of the fruit being used.
Can I freeze the Upside Down Plum Cake?
The Upside Down Plum Cake may be frozen. Once it has cooled down, wrap it securely in plastic and foil, or store it in an airtight container. It has a three-month shelf life when frozen. Thaw it in the fridge the night before you want to consume it, then bring it to room temperature.
How do I know when the Upside Down Plum Cake is fully baked?
The toothpick test will tell you if the Upside Down Plum Cake is done baking. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or with just a few crumbs. The cake is done when you press the top with your finger and it bounces back. The cake is done when it has a golden brown hue and begins to separate from the pan. These characteristics suggest the cake is ready to be served.
How long do I need to let the cake cool before I invert it?
When the Upside Down Plum Cake has been removed from the oven, it should be allowed to cool for around 10 to 15 minutes in the baking dish before serving. Next, using a knife, carefully cut around the perimeter in order to separate it from the pan’s sides. The cake should be swiftly inverted onto a plate or serving dish that has been placed over the top of the pan before serving.
- Pioneer Woman Breakfast Monkey Bread
- Lemon Ricotta Cake Jamie Oliver
- Marble Cake Recipe Jamie Oliver
Jamie Oliver Upside Down Plum Cake Nutrition Fact
- Serving size: 1 slice (1/8th of the cake)
- Calories: 331
- Total Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 92mg
- Sodium: 244mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 49g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Sugars: 31g
- Protein: 4g