Jamie Oliver’s turkey curry recipe is a great place to start if you have leftover turkey and are looking for ways to use it. In this article, we’ll look at Jamie Oliver’s recipe and other ways to use leftover turkey, as well as tips for cooking a moist and flavorful turkey, storing and freezing leftovers, and making turkey broth.
This guide to Jamie Oliver’s turkey recipes and techniques will give you lots of ideas and inspiration, no matter how long you’ve been cooking or how new you are.
What Is Jamie Oliver’s Turkey Curry Recipe
Jamie Oliver’s turkey curry recipe is a simple and flavorful way to use up leftover turkey. The recipe typically includes onions, garlic, ginger, curry powder, canned tomatoes, chickpeas, frozen peas, chicken or vegetable broth, and cooked leftover turkey. The spices and ingredients are simmered together to create a rich and hearty curry that can be enjoyed with rice or naan bread.
How To Prepare Leftover Turkey Before Cooking The Curry
- Take the leftover turkey out of the fridge and let it sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
- Remove any skin and bones from the turkey, and cut it into bite-sized pieces or shred it with a fork, depending on your preference.
- If the turkey is dry, you can moisten it by adding a tablespoon or two of broth or water to it.
- Season the turkey with spices or seasonings of your choice, such as cumin, coriander, turmeric, or garam masala. This will add extra flavor to the curry.
- Add the seasoned turkey to the curry recipe as directed.
Jamie Oliver Turkey Curry Ingredients
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 14 oz canned tomatoes, chopped
- 14 oz canned chickpeas, drained
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2-3 cups leftover turkey, shredded or chopped
How To Make Jamie Oliver Turkey Curry
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until soft and translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and curry powder to the saucepan and stir for 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the canned tomatoes, chickpeas, and broth to the saucepan, and bring to a simmer. Let the mixture cook for 10 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- Add the frozen peas and cooked turkey to the saucepan and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes until heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot over rice or with naan bread.
How To Store Leftovers Turkey Curry
For fridge storage: transfer the turkey curry to an airtight container and refrigerate it within 2 hours. Consume within 3-4 days.
For freezer storage: let the curry cool, transfer it to a labeled, freezer-safe container, and store for up to 2-3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat before eating.
Can You Reheat Turkey Curry Made From Leftover Turkey?
Yes, you can definitely reheat turkey curry made from leftover turkey. here are three recommended ways to reheat turkey curry made from leftover turkey:
- Stove Top: Transfer the turkey curry to a saucepan or pot and warm it up slowly over low to medium heat on the stove. Stir occasionally and add a splash of water or broth if needed to prevent it from drying out.
- Microwave: Transfer the turkey curry to a microwave-safe dish and cover it with a microwave-safe lid or plastic wrap. Heat it up in the microwave for 1-2 minutes on high, stirring occasionally.
- Oven: Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Transfer the turkey curry to an oven-safe dish and cover it with aluminum foil. Heat it up in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until it’s heated through, stirring occasionally.
How Do You Reheat Turkey Without Drying It Out?
- Add some moisture: To prevent the turkey from drying out during reheating, add some moisture by drizzling a little bit of broth, stock, or gravy over it. This will help keep the turkey moist and flavorful.
- Cover the turkey: When reheating the turkey, cover it with aluminum foil or a lid to help trap in moisture and prevent it from drying out.
- Use a low temperature: Reheat the turkey at a low temperature, such as 275°F (135°C), to prevent it from drying out. This will take a little bit longer, but it will help keep the turkey moist.
- Reheat in small portions: Instead of reheating a large portion of turkey all at once, reheat it in smaller portions. This will help ensure that each portion is heated evenly and doesn’t dry out.
What To Serve With Leftovers Turkey Curry
- Rice: Serve the leftover turkey curry with steamed white or brown rice to soak up the flavorful sauce.
- Naan bread: Serve the leftover turkey curry with warm naan bread for dipping and scooping up the curry.
- Chutney: Serve the leftover turkey curry with a side of chutney, such as mango chutney or cucumber raita, to add some sweetness and tanginess to the dish.
- Vegetables: Serve the leftover turkey curry with a side of sautéed or roasted vegetables, such as broccoli, cauliflower, or carrots, for some added nutrition and texture.
- Salad: Serve the leftover turkey curry with a fresh and simple side salad, such as mixed greens or cucumber salad, to balance out the flavors and add some crunch.
How Long Do Turkey Leftovers Last In The Fridge?
Turkey leftovers can last in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. It’s important to transfer the leftover turkey to an airtight container or wrap it tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil to prevent bacteria growth. Store the container in the fridge within 2 hours of cooking or serving the turkey.
How Do You Moisten Leftover Turkey?
Jamie Oliver says to moisten leftover turkey before using it in recipes, try marinating it with flavorful liquids, shredding or chopping it into smaller pieces, or adding liquid like broth or sauce to your recipe. These methods can help add moisture and flavor to your dish.
What To Do With Leftover Turkey By Jamie Oliver?
Jamie Oliver has a range of enjoyable and tasty ways to use leftover turkey. Here are some of the ideas he had:
Jamie Oliver Turkey Curry Nutrition Facts
- Calories: 361
- Fat: 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
- Cholesterol: 53 mg
- Sodium: 794 mg
- Carbohydrates: 44.6 g
- Fiber: 11.1 g
- Sugars: 10.3 g
- Protein: 26.6 g
Can I Reheat Turkey Curry Twice?
It’s not recommended to reheat turkey curry more than once due to the risk of bacterial growth and loss of flavor and texture. Instead, reheat only the amount you plan to eat and store the rest in the fridge or freezer.
How Long To Reheat Cooked Turkey In A Curry?
To reheat cooked turkey in a curry, it usually takes about 10-15 minutes on low to medium heat.
How To Make Leftover Turkey Taste Better
Add flavor with herbs or citrus juice, top it with a flavorful sauce or gravy, use it in a salad or sandwich with other ingredients, or use it in a soup or stew with vegetables and herbs. These methods can help enhance the flavor and moisture of the turkey.