This Sweet Potato Chorizo Soup by Jamie Oliver is loaded with flavors that are both warming and soothing. Its cheerful hue will lift your spirits immediately. Perfect for a chilly day, this sweet potato soup can be on the table in under 40 minutes.
A soup made with sweet potatoes and chorizo is a hearty meal perfect for a chilly winter day. It’s perfect for making in bulk since the flavor improves as it rests and the flavors of the various components blend together.
Try More Recipes From us:
Why You’ll Love This Soup
- Flavorful! The chorizo gives this sweet potato soup a fiery edge and mixes well with rosemary and garlic.
- It’s easy to make your own. Change up the vegetables and spices in this Spanish chorizo soup. Add bell pepper to the onions or smoked paprika for smokiness.
- Vegan. This soup solely contains chorizo. Replace it with a vegan alternative for chorizo soup.
Jamie Oliver Sweet Potato Chorizo Soup Ingredients
- Olive oil. Adding a small amount of extra virgin olive oil will prevent the chorizo from sticking to the bottom of the pan. After frying the chorizo, you may want to drain out some of the fat before adding the onion if you find that there is too much.
- Chorizo. Use your preferred vegan chorizo in place of the meat in this soup. Veggie chorizo will likely be ready to consume sooner than meat chorizo, so you may need to reduce the browning time accordingly.
- Onion. This soup is fantastic with any onion variety. I went with brown onions, but red onions would work just as well.
- Garlic. Garlic should ideally be fresh. To prepare it, you may either crush it or chop it very finely.
- Rosemary. Additional herbs that can be used include fresh thyme and oregano. If you don’t have any fresh herbs on hand, a teaspoon of Italian spice mix can do in a pinch.
- Chopped tomatoes. This soup works as well with chopped ordinary tomatoes or fire-roasted tomatoes. If you can, go for the highest quality available.
- Sweet potatoes. If you want perfectly cooked sweet potatoes every time, cube them into uniform shapes.
- Vegetable stock. Vegetable stock is my preference for this soup, but chicken stock works just as well.
- Baby spinach. You may use kale or any other type of green in place of spinach if you want.
How To Make Jamie Oliver Sweet Potato Chorizo Soup
- In a Dutch oven or big stock pot, heat the olive oil. Cook for 4-5 minutes over medium heat, until the chorizo is somewhat crispy. With a slotted spoon, remove the chorizo from the saucepan and set it aside.
- Cook the onion in the same saucepan for 2-3 minutes, or until it is slightly transparent. Cook for another minute, stirring regularly, after adding the garlic and fresh rosemary.
- Combine the chopped tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and vegetable stock in a mixing bowl. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce to low heat and cook for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked.
- If you want the soup to be naturally thicker, break down some of the sweet potatoes using a potato masher or the back of a spoon.
- Return the cooked chorizo to the saucepan, along with the baby spinach. Simmer for 1 minute more, or until the spinach has wilted.
- Season with salt and pepper to suit, then serve with your favorite crusty bread.
What To Serve With Sweet Potato Chorizo Soup?
- Mixed Vegetable Salad
- Skillet Garlic Shrimp
- Deep-fried Deviled Eggs
- Braided Bread
- Cheese and Ham Sandwich
- Corn Pudding
- Baked Rigatoni
- Macaroni Salad
- Chicken Nuggets And French Fries
- Chili Pakoras
How To Store Sweet Potato Chorizo Soup?
If stored in an airtight container, this Sweet Potato Chorizo Soup may be kept in the fridge for up to three days. The flavors have had more time to develop, so leftovers are even delicious the next day. The Sweet Potato Chorizo Soup is suitable for freezing in freezer-safe containers or Ziploc bags for up to three months.
How To Reheat Sweet Potato Chorizo Soup?
It’s best to reheat Sweet Potato Chorizo Soup either on the burner or in the microwave so that it’s steaming hot. If the soup seems overly thick, you may thin it with water or stock before reheating.
- A spicy soup can be made by using cayenne pepper or red chili flakes with garlic and herbs if the chorizo is not already spicy enough.
- This sweet potato chorizo soup would benefit greatly from a sprinkle of crisp bacon pieces.
- Before serving, top each dish with a pinch of chopped fresh parsley and a few turns of freshly ground black pepper.
Try More Recipes:
Jamie Oliver Sweet Potato Chorizo Soup Nutrition Facts
Amount Per Serving
- Calories 201
- Total Fat 84g
- Saturated Fat 2.1g
- Trans Fat 0.3g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 402mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27g
- Dietary Fiber 0g
- Sugars 11g
- Protein 4g
Nutrition Facts Source: Source
Serving Size 1
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories 201
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat 84g130%
- Saturated Fat 2.1g11%
- Trans Fat 0.3g
- Sodium 402mg17%
- Total Carbohydrate 27g9%
- Sugars 11g
- Protein 4g8%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily value may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.