Have a bowl of Jamie Oliver’s Sweet Potato and Leek Soup, which is both tasty and healthy. It takes only a few minutes to prepare and only seven ingredients to make this dish. Try it plain, or for a little extra crunch, sprinkle some sweet and spicy roasted pumpkin seeds on top.
Try More Recipes From us:
- Jamie Oliver Cauliflower And Blue Cheese Soup
- Sweet Potato Fritters Jamie Oliver
- Jamie Oliver Pumpkin And Bacon Soup
Why You’ll Love This:
- Prepared using sweet potatoes, which contribute to a more robust and sugary taste.
- Reduced in calories and dairy, making it suitable for vegans.
- To finish it off, I toasted some pepitas in a maple-cayenne mixture.
Is The Toasted Pumpkin Seed Topping Required?
Nope! The pumpkin seeds give this otherwise smooth soup a nice crunch. The soup gets an extra boost of flavor from the combination of sweet and spicy ingredients. However, if you’re trying to save time, you may totally omit the toasted seeds.
Mix it everything together once the potatoes have softened and the flavors have had a chance to meld. Several strategies are available at this juncture.
- Immersion Blender: By far the simplest method of blending the soup, this may be done directly in the pot.
- Blender or Food Processor: Soup can be blended in a conventional blender or food processor in batches if an immersion blender is unavailable. Before pressing the button to blend the soup into a smooth consistency, make sure the blender cover is secure.
Be mindful when taking the lid off, and always open it in a direction other than toward your body and face. I’m telling you, you don’t want the full force of that soup to hit you in the face because it will be hot and steaming.
For The Soup:
- Before washing the leeks, chop them up (this helps to get the dirt between layers).
- In a big saucepan, heat the oil over medium-low heat. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the leeks begin to soften. Cook for another 2 minutes after adding the garlic.
- To the saucepan, add the diced sweet potatoes, stock, thyme, and salt. Combine all of the ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, then lower to low heat. Cook for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender enough to be pierced with a fork.
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender until it is smooth. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you may transfer the soup to a conventional blender or food processor. Note: If using a blender or food processor, puree the soup in stages, just filling the blender halfway. If you overfill the blender, the heat and pressure will drive the cover off. Also, open the lid away from your face to avoid getting hit by steam.
- Season with more salt to taste and top with freshly grated black pepper.
For The Pumpkin Seeds:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C while the soup is boiling.
- Toss the pumpkin seeds with the remaining ingredients in a small dish until evenly coated, then lay them out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Spread the seeds out in a uniform, single layer and roast in the oven for 12-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool slightly before adding to the soup.
What To Serve With Sweet Potato And Leek Soup?
- Strawberry Feta Spinach Salad
- Baked Potato Casserole
- Oven Roasted Vegetables
- Zippys Garlic Miso Chicken
- Moist Cornbread
- Chat Pate Pakora
- Green Bean Fries
- Macaroni Salad
- Crispy Potato Wedges
- Kale Caesar Crunch Salad
- Simple Mashed Potato Salad
How To Store Sweet Potato And Leek Soup?
The Sweet Potato and Leek Soup may be kept in the refrigerator for about 2 to 3 days if it is put in an airtight container. If you freeze the Sweet Potato and Leek Soup in the correct manner, it will have a shelf life that is two to three months longer than it would otherwise have.
Place the portion of Sweet Potato and Leek Soup that you will not be used in either a medium saucepan or a big pot. Reheat over low heat, stirring regularly, until the entire thing is at a comfortable temperature.
Try More Recipes:
- Jamie Oliver Potato Leek Bacon Soup Recipe
- Jamie Oliver Pearl Barley Soup
- Jamie Oliver Mushroom Soup With Rice
Jamie Oliver Sweet Potato And Leek Soup Nutrition Facts
Amount Per Serving
Nutrition Facts Source: Source
Serving Size 1
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories 168.4
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat 2.6g4%
- Saturated Fat 0.7g4%
- Sodium 571.4mg24%
- Potassium 726.3mg21%
- Total Carbohydrate 34.4g12%
- Dietary Fiber 4.8g20%
- Sugars 5g
- Protein 3.7g8%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily value may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.