Clean, wholesome, and (yet!) oh-so-tasty, this Jamie Oliver Pearl Barley Soup recipe is packed with all kinds of veggies. The barley adds a nice texture and flavor contrast to the dish, making it more intriguing than using plain pasta or rice alone.
For those who like to create their own soup, this is an excellent starting point. Follow my cooking procedure and broth flavors, then customize the veggies to your tastes or what you have on hand in the fridge.
Try More Recipes From us:
- Mince Pasta Bake Recipe Jamie Oliver
- Jamie Oliver Thai Pumpkin Soup
- Jamie Oliver Thai Coconut Chicken Soup
Jamie Oliver Pearl Barley Soup Recipe
How often do you casually pass a packet of pearl barley at the grocery store without giving it a second glance? Get a packet the next time you’re out! Instead of using rice or pasta, pearl barley is a delicious and inexpensive alternative that may be used in place of those more common ingredients.
As such, let’s have some barley soup today. This soup is easy to make, has a fresh flavor, and is packed with nutritious vegetables; the simple step of sautéing some herbs and spices gives it an extra boost of flavor. It brings out the full flavor of the dish.
Jamie Oliver Pearl Barley Soup Ingredients
Barley And Broth Flavourings:
- Pearl barley – The nutty flavor and chewy texture of the whole grains elevate the otherwise plain soup. You can normally find it among the dry beans in the soup or grain section of the supermarket.
- Vegetable stock/broth – Because it’s so easy to prepare, homemade is something you should consider doing. Anything you buy at the shop will do if you can’t find anything better.
- Bay leaves and thyme – These are the herbs. In terms of soup flavor, fresh is preferable, although dried can do in a pinch.
- Ground coriander and fennel seeds – We’re just using a 1/4 teaspoon of each, but that’s just enough to make the broth taste special and have your guests wondering what the heck you did to make it so delicious. The key to bringing out the flavor is, as noted above, sautéing the herbs and spices.
- Onion – Because it’s not in the picture, this comes first! The common brown or white onion.
- Garlic – The reason is, very few savory dishes are prepared without garlic in this region.
- Veggie add-ins – My ingredient list includes carrots, celery, mushrooms, and swedes (rutabaga in the US). You may use any veggies that can withstand a 35-minute boiling period to make it your own. It’s best to sauté and remove quick-cooking veggies (like asparagus) and then bring them back in at the finish of cooking.
- Swedes – Swedes are like turnips and have an earthy, carrot, pumpkin-like flavor when cooked. In the US, they’re called rutabaga and are easy to peel. They make the soup unique. Turnips, parsnips, celeriac, or potatoes are good replacements.
- Parsley – An ideal amount for adding at the very end for a burst of brightness (color and flavor).
How To Make Jamie Oliver Pearl Barley Soup
- In a colander, rinse the barley with cold tap water. Allow draining for a few minutes.
- In a saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Yes, all at once! Add onion, carrot, celery, swede, mushrooms, and garlic. Cook for five minutes while stirring often.
- Add thyme, coriander, fennel, bay leaves, and pepper, along with salt. Cook for one minute
- Add the pearl barley and vegetable stock. Stir, bring to a boil, and simmer the barley for 35 minutes, stirring occasionally. It will have a pleasant chew, but the center should not be as hard as raw rice.
- Stir in chopped parsley. Ladle into bowls, then serve!
What To Serve With Pearl Barley Soup?
- Chat Pate Pakora
- Braided Bread
- Chicken And Dumplings
- Skillet Garlic Shrimp
- Mac And Cheese
- Fried Chicken
- Sokolowskis Chicken Paprikash
- Baked Rigaton
- Macaroni Salad
- Chicken And Dumplings
How To Store Pearl Barley Soup?
If you store your Pearl Barley Soup properly, it can keep for up to 4 days in the fridge. However, if you leave the soup out overnight, the barley will continue to absorb the liquid, much like it does with rice and pasta soups. It will soften more than desirable, adding thickness to the soup while simultaneously draining out all of the liquid.
How To Freeze and Reheat Pearl Barley Soup?
It’s important to me that the Pearl Barley Soup is totally cold before I freeze it. Turn off the heat, take off the cover, and let the soup remain at room temperature for at least 90 minutes. Then, give it a good toss to make sure the vegetables haven’t settled to the bottom.
Break it up whichever you choose. As a general rule, I give each guest two cups. If you plan on freezing the food, make sure to store it in a container with a secure lid. Don’t forget to identify the soup by its name on the container!
Try More Recipes:
- Jamie Oliver Sweet Potato Chorizo Soup
- Jamie Oliver Sweet Potato And Leek Soup
- Jamie Oliver Spicy Tomato Soup
Jamie Oliver Pearl Barley Soup Nutrition Facts
Amount Per Serving
- Calories 220
- Total Fat 2g
- Saturated Fat 0.3g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 1384mg
- Potassium 547mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45g
- Dietary Fiber 10g
- Sugars 8.5g
- Protein 8g
- Vitamin A 101%
- Vitamin C 30%
- Calcium 8%
- Iron 13%
Nutrition Facts Source: Source
Serving Size 1
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories 220
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat 2g4%
- Saturated Fat 0.3g2%
- Sodium 1384mg58%
- Potassium 547mg16%
- Total Carbohydrate 45g15%
- Dietary Fiber 10g40%
- Sugars 8.5g
- Protein 8g16%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily value may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.