The Mushroom Soup with Rice dish from Jamie Oliver is a substantial soup that is vegetarian and created from scratch. This wild rice soup dish is perfect for a nice weeknight meal, especially when paired with crusty bread.
Try More Recipes From us:
- Jamie Oliver Spicy Pumpkin Soup
- Jamie Oliver Roast Chicken Soup
- Jamie Oliver Carrot And Parsnip Soup
Why You’ll Love This Soup:
- Homemade soup is perfect for cold weather. It’s nutrient- and flavor-rich and typically leaves you with leftovers. (And soup is always great the next day!)
- This wild rice soup has meaty mushrooms, aromatics, and herbs. Wild rice offers texture, taste, and nutrition. Wild rice takes longer to prepare than other types, but it’s worth it.
- Enjoy this nutritious comfort dish with crusty bread and Parmesan.
Jamie Oliver Mushroom Soup With Rice Ingredients
- Wild Rice: Although it is commonly referred to as “wild rice,” this North American staple is actually semi-aquatic grass. A good place to look would be the bulk bins or grain aisles of most supermarkets. Wild rice, when cooked, turns a creamy hue and has a nutty flavor. It works wonderfully as a thickener in chowders and soups, and it also shines in pilafs, stuffings, and casseroles.
- Mushrooms: Baby Bella (or cremini) mushrooms are what I use, but the possibilities are practically unlimited. Use a combination of shiitakes, white buttons, or even more unusual mushrooms. However, I wouldn’t recommend sticking to only white buttons because they don’t have much flavor or “oomph” compared to other types of mushrooms.
- Aromatics: A mirepoix is the basis of every good homemade soup. In addition to the usual suspects of chopped onion, celery, and carrot, I also like to add a few cloves of minced garlic.
- Spice blend: The recipe would benefit greatly from a generous helping of earthy dry spices. My recommendation is to use either Herbes de Provence or chicken seasoning, both of which include comparable herb mixtures.
- Cream: To thicken, use heavy cream or cashew cream. If you require a dairy-free or vegan version, use cashew cream. Half a cup of heavy cream is plenty. You may make the homemade cashew cream by soaking 1/3 cup raw cashews in 2/3 cup boiling water for 30 minutes (or longer). When the cashews are soft, mix everything until smooth.
How To Make Jamie Oliver Mushroom Soup With Rice
- Allow heavy cream to come to room temperature while you cook the soup. Alternatively, if using, create cashew cream.
- In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, heat the oil and butter over medium-high heat. Cook for 8 minutes, or until the onion, carrots, and celery are softened.
- Stir in the mushrooms and garlic until well combined. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the mushrooms are tender and slightly browned.
- Stir in the rice to coat. Allow approximately 1 to 2 minutes of cooking time to gently toast the grains. Combine the chicken seasoning, salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl.
- Stir in the broth and 1 cup of water. Bring the mixture to a low boil, then cover and simmer for 45 to 60 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- Stir in the heavy cream after removing the cover (or cashew cream). Gradually whisk in the Parmesan cheese, working constantly to prevent clumping, until everything is incorporated. Remove from the heat and ladle into serving dishes.
What To Serve With Mushroom Rice Soup?
- Baked Potato Casserole
- Baja Chicken Tacos
- Baked Rigatoni
- Pot Pie
- Macaroni Salad
How To Store And Reheat Mushroom Rice Soup?
- To Store. Mushroom rice soup leftovers may be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
- To Reheat. The best way to reheat leftover Mushroom Rice Soup is to do it in a small saucepan over medium heat. Even if you’re reheating this soup in the microwave, make sure to give it a stir every 30 to 45 seconds. This ensures that everything is heated uniformly, and not just the top layer.
- To Freeze. If you have any leftover Mushroom Rice Soup, you can keep it in the freezer for up to three months if you place it in an airtight container. Do not reheat anything that hasn’t been refrigerated overnight to defrost.
Try More Recipes:
Jamie Oliver Mushroom Soup With Rice Nutrition Facts
Amount Per Serving
- Calories 424
- Total Fat 21g
- Saturated Fat 12g
- Trans Fat 0.8g
- Cholesterol 79mg
- Sodium 1324mg
- Potassium 584mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1g
- Sugars 8.9g
- Protein 15g
- Vitamin A 15%
- Vitamin C 9.6%
- Calcium 9%
- Iron 13%
Nutrition Facts Source: Source
Serving Size 1
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories 424
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat 21g33%
- Saturated Fat 12g60%
- Trans Fat 0.8g
- Cholesterol 79mg27%
- Sodium 1324mg56%
- Potassium 584mg17%
- Total Carbohydrate 45g15%
- Dietary Fiber 2.1g9%
- Sugars 8.9g
- Protein 15g30%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily value may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.