Making Jamie Oliver’s Italian Fish Stew couldn’t be simpler, and yet the dish is packed with wonderful, genuine Italian flavors. This fish stew, which was inspired by one of my favorite Italian meals, is unexpectedly savory, thanks to the combination of soft white fish, clams, herbs, and a lovely tomato broth.
Try More Recipes From us:
Jamie Oliver Italian Fish Stew Ingredients
- White Fish – Any fish that becomes flaky and dry when cooked is considered white fish. For this dish, you can use your preferred white fish. In particular, I enjoy working with halibut, orange roughy, sea bass, and cod.
- Clams – As their size increases, clams can become rough and chewy once cooked. Always remember that before selecting them! You may omit the clams if you can’t locate them, but they give the Italian fish stew a wonderful taste.
- Lemon Juice – Lemon juice is the secret ingredient that makes the fish and mussels shine. To me, the addition of lemon transforms this Italian fish stew from “mmm, that’s a decent stew” to “FREAKING WOW THAT’S A GOOD STEW.” That second one sounds delicious, and I’d love a bowlful.
How To Make Jamie Oliver Italian Fish Stew
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Stir in the green onions, garlic, anchovies, and red pepper flakes. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the green onions begin to wilt.
- Add the veggie broth. Turn the heat up to high. Allow to boil for 2 minutes, or until the liquid has been reduced by about 1/3.
- Combine the crushed tomatoes, clam juice, oregano, and water in a mixing bowl. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then lower to medium and continue to cook until the color deepens slightly about 10 minutes.
- After adding salt, add the fish and clams. Increase the heat to high. Cook until the clams open and the fish flakes easily with a fork, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the parsley, basil, pepper, and half a lemon juice.
- Pour the stew into the serving dishes. Drizzle with more olive oil and serve with crusty bread and a sprinkle of lemon zest (optional).
What To Serve With Fish Stew?
- Oyster Crackers
- Potato Salad
- Roasted Vegetables
- Mac And Cheese
- Corn On Cob
- Skillet Garlic Shrimp
- French Fries
- Braided Bread
How To Store Italian Fish Stew?
You may store any leftover Italian Fish Stew in the refrigerator for up to three or four days in an airtight container. Make sure to bring the soup down to room temperature before continuing.
How To Reheat Italian Fish Stew?
If you want to reheat your Italian Fish Stew, you may do it in a covered pot set over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes. You can also microwave it for 3 minutes at 80% power, then mix, and heat it for another 1-2 minutes at full power. Make sure it’s heated all the way through, and if it isn’t, give it another 30 seconds.
- Since overcooking can result in dry fish, it is best to add it in last. In order to avoid overcooking the fish in the Italian fish stew, remove it from the heat as soon as possible after adding the fish.
- In what ways can you gauge the fish’s doneness? It will crumble! Try sticking a fork into the fish at a 45-degree angle. Target the center of the fish, where the meat is the thickest. To use the fork, twist it and lift it up slightly. Your fish is done when you can separate it into large, opaque flakes. Keep cooking if the fish is resistant and still a little transparent; just keep an eye on it because it cooks quickly.
- I can’t stress how important it is to accompany this stew with warm slices of thick, crusty bread like sourdough, Italian, or French. Dip it in your Italian fish stew from the get-go, or use it to soak up the sauce at the bottom of your bowl.
Try More Recipes:
Jamie Oliver Italian Fish Stew Nutrition Facts
Amount Per Serving
- Calories 210
- Total Fat 2.8g
- Saturated Fat 0.6g
- Cholesterol 163mg
- Sodium 1690mg
- Potassium 794mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6g
- Sugars 7.4g
- Protein 29g
- Vitamin A 23%
- Vitamin C 54%
- Calcium 8.1%
- Iron 11%
Nutrition Facts Source: Source
Serving Size 1
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories 210
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat 2.8g5%
- Saturated Fat 0.6g3%
- Cholesterol 163mg55%
- Sodium 1690mg71%
- Potassium 794mg23%
- Total Carbohydrate 13g5%
- Dietary Fiber 2.6g11%
- Sugars 7.4g
- Protein 29g58%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily value may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.