If you’re looking for a delicious and easy way to spice up your next meal, look no further than Jamie Oliver’s Empire Chicken. This flavorful chicken dish is sure to be a hit with everyone at the table. The best part? It takes just minutes to prepare, so it’s perfect for busy weeknight meals. The combination of spices, herbs, and citrus creates a unique and complex flavor that is sure to satisfy even the pickiest eaters. Serve it with a side of roasted vegetables or potatoes for a complete meal. No matter how you choose to serve it, Jamie Oliver’s Empire Chicken is sure to be a hit!
More Recipes From us:
💓 Why You’ll Love This Jamie Oliver Empire Chicken
- Quick and easy to prepare: Jamie Oliver’s Empire Chicken recipe is ready in just 30 minutes, making it perfect for a midweek dinner.
- Deliciously flavoursome: the combination of garlic, oregano, cumin, lemon and olive oil creates a rich and aromatic dish.
- Versatile: serve the chicken with rice, potatoes, salad, or simply on its own.
- Healthy: the recipe contains no added sugar, meaning you can enjoy a guilt-free meal.
- Crowd-pleaser: kids and adults alike will love the delicious flavours of Jamie Oliver’s Empire Chicken.
What Is Jamie Oliver Empire Chicken Recipe?
Jamie Oliver’s Empire Chicken recipe is an easy and delicious dish that combines chicken with a zesty tomato sauce and garlic, ginger, and oregano. The chicken is seasoned with salt, pepper, and paprika, then covered with a tomato and garlic sauce and slow-cooked until the chicken is tender and the sauce is thick and flavorful. The dish is often served with a side of mashed potatoes or rice.
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 red peppers, sliced
- 1 can (400g) chopped tomatoes
- 1 can (400g) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 handful fresh coriander, chopped
- Crusty bread, to serve
🔪How To Make Jamie Oliver Empire Chicken
- Preheat your oven to 190°C/375°F/gas 5.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a large oven-proof pan over medium heat.
- Add the chicken breasts to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until browned. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the garlic, onion, and spices and cook for 2-3 minutes until softened.
- Add the sliced peppers to the pan and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the chopped tomatoes and chickpeas and stir to combine.
- Return the chicken breasts to the pan, spooning the tomato and chickpea mixture over them.
- Squeeze the lemon juice over the top of the chicken and vegetables.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Sprinkle with fresh coriander before serving with crusty bread.
Here are some tips to keep in mind when making Jamie Oliver’s Empire Chicken:
- Use good quality chicken breasts: Since the chicken is the star of the dish, make sure you use good quality chicken breasts. Look for organic or free-range chicken if possible.
- Don’t overcook the chicken: Be careful not to overcook the chicken breasts as they can become tough and dry. Check the internal temperature with a meat thermometer to ensure it’s cooked through, but still tender and juicy.
- Use a large oven-proof pan: Make sure you use a large oven-proof pan that can hold all the chicken and vegetables comfortably. This will ensure even cooking and make it easier to transfer the pan from the stovetop to the oven.
- Customize the spices: If you don’t have all the spices listed, feel free to customize the recipe with your favorite spices. You can use a store-bought spice blend or experiment with your own spice mix.
- Serve with crusty bread: Empire Chicken is perfect for soaking up with a crusty loaf of bread. Serve it on the side or slice the bread and use it to scoop up the tomato and chickpea sauce.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to make a delicious and flavorful Empire Chicken dish that’s sure to impress. Enjoy!
🍴 What To Serve With Empire Chicken?
Empire Chicken is a delicious and flavorful dish that pairs well with a variety of sides. Here are some ideas on what to serve with Empire Chicken:
- Couscous: A side of fluffy and flavorful couscous is a great choice to soak up the tomato and chickpea sauce.
- Rice: Steamed rice is another classic side that goes well with Empire Chicken. Try jasmine or basmati rice for a fragrant and tasty option.
- Roasted vegetables: Roasted vegetables like sweet potatoes, carrots, and cauliflower are a great way to add some extra color and nutrition to your meal.
- Salad: A simple green salad with a light vinaigrette is a refreshing and healthy side dish that complements the rich and spicy flavors of the chicken.
- Bread: A crusty baguette or some warm pita bread is perfect for dipping into the tomato and chickpea sauce and mopping up all the delicious juices.
These are just a few ideas on what to serve with Empire Chicken. Feel free to mix and match to find your own favorite side dishes. Enjoy!
To store leftovers of Empire Chicken, follow these steps:
- Let it cool: Once you’ve finished your meal, let the leftover Empire Chicken cool down to room temperature before storing it in the fridge.
- Use an airtight container: Transfer the leftover Empire Chicken to an airtight container. Glass or plastic containers with tight-fitting lids work well for this purpose.
- Refrigerate promptly: Place the container in the refrigerator within 2 hours of cooking to prevent bacteria growth.
- Label and date: Label the container with the name of the dish and the date you stored it, so you know when it was made.
Leftover Empire Chicken can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. If you want to store it for longer, you can freeze it for up to 3 months. To freeze, let it cool completely, then transfer it to a freezer-safe container, label and date, and freeze.
🌡️ How To Reheat Leftovers
There are a few ways to reheat leftover Empire Chicken:
Make sure to heat the leftover Empire Chicken to an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C) before consuming. You may need to add a little water or broth to the dish if the sauce has thickened during storage. Also, keep in mind that each method of reheating may produce a slightly different texture, so choose the method that works best for you. Enjoy!
Can I make Empire Chicken ahead of time?
Yes, you can make Empire Chicken ahead of time. It can be stored in the fridge for up to 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Just make sure to reheat it thoroughly before serving.
Can I adjust the level of spiciness in the Empire Chicken?
Yes, you can adjust the level of spiciness in the Empire Chicken to your liking. If you prefer a milder flavor, reduce the amount of chili flakes or omit them altogether. If you prefer a spicier flavor, add more chili flakes or a diced jalapeño pepper.
Can I use chicken breasts instead of thighs in the Empire Chicken?
While the recipe is designed for chicken thighs, you can use chicken breasts if you prefer. Keep in mind that chicken breasts tend to be leaner than thighs, so you may need to adjust the cooking time to prevent them from drying out.
Can I make Empire Chicken in a slow cooker?
Yes, you can make Empire Chicken in a slow cooker. Simply combine all the ingredients in the slow cooker, cover, and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
Can I use canned tomatoes instead of fresh tomatoes in Empire Chicken?
Yes, you can use canned tomatoes instead of fresh ones. However, keep in mind that canned tomatoes tend to be more acidic and have a stronger flavor than fresh tomatoes, so you may need to adjust the seasoning accordingly.
Try More Recipes: