Are you ready to advance to the next level with your roasted potatoes? Don’t look any farther than Jamie Oliver’s potatoes made with duck fat. Jamie transforms a standard side dish into something genuinely remarkable by braising the potatoes in opulent and delicious duck fat while they are in the oven. Whether you intend to prepare them as a side dish for your holiday feast or simply want to indulge in a delectable treat, these potatoes, which have been fried till golden and crispy, are guaranteed to wow.
More Recipes From us:
- Jamie Oliver Chinese Chicken Noodle Soup
- Jamie Oliver Chicken Minestrone Soup
- Jamie Oliver Chicken And Mushroom Soup
💓 Why You’ll Love This Jamie Oliver Duck Fat Potatoes
Here Are some reasons why people might love Jamie Oliver’s Duck Fat Potatoes:
- Rich and flavorful: The use of duck fat gives the potatoes a delicious, savory flavor that is hard to resist.
- Crispy texture: The high heat and the duck fat create a crispy exterior while maintaining a soft and fluffy interior.
- Versatility: These potatoes are versatile and can be served as a side dish with a variety of different meals, from a fancy steak dinner to a casual BBQ.
- Simple recipe: The recipe is straightforward and easy to follow, making it a great option for beginner cooks or those short on time.
- Impress your guests: Serving up a batch of these crispy potatoes is sure to impress your guests and elevate any meal.
What Is Jamie Oliver Duck Fat Potatoes Recipe?
Jamie Oliver’s Duck Fat Potatoes recipe is a classic side dish that is easy to make and results in crispy and flavorful potatoes. The recipe requires just a few simple ingredients: potatoes, duck fat, garlic, fresh thyme, salt, and black pepper. The potatoes are first parboiled and then roasted in the duck fat with the garlic and thyme until golden brown and crispy on the outside, and fluffy on the inside. It’s a delicious and indulgent side dish that pairs well with a variety of main courses, from roasted meats to grilled vegetables.
- 2.2 pounds (1 kg) large potatoes
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) duck fat
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
🔪How To Make Jamie Oliver Duck Fat Potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into large chunks or wedges.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and add the potatoes. Cook for about 8-10 minutes or until they are slightly softened.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander and shake them gently to rough up the edges.
- Heat the duck fat in a roasting pan on the stove until it is melted and hot.
- Add the potatoes to the roasting pan and toss them in the hot duck fat until they are well coated.
- Season the potatoes with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Roast the potatoes in the preheated oven for about 45-50 minutes or until they are golden and crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. Serve the potatoes hot and enjoy!
Here are some recipe tips for making Jamie Oliver’s duck fat potatoes:
- Use the right potatoes: It’s best to use floury or all-purpose potatoes like Yukon Gold, Maris Piper, or Russet for this recipe. Waxy potatoes like new potatoes are not suitable as they tend to turn gluey when roasted.
- Don’t skimp on the duck fat: Duck fat is the key ingredient that gives these potatoes their rich and indulgent flavor. Don’t be afraid to use enough to coat the potatoes evenly.
- Parboil the potatoes: Parboiling the potatoes before roasting ensures that they become crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Make sure not to overcook them though, or they will fall apart.
- Shake the potatoes: After draining the potatoes, give them a good shake in the colander to rough up the edges. This will help to create a crispy exterior when they are roasted.
- Roast at a high temperature: To achieve the perfect crispiness, roast the potatoes at a high temperature (around 425°F or 220°C) for at least 30-40 minutes. You can also turn up the heat towards the end of cooking to get them extra crispy.
- Season generously: Don’t forget to season the potatoes generously with salt and pepper before roasting. You can also add herbs or spices like thyme, rosemary, or garlic to enhance the flavor.
⏱ How Long To Cook Duck Fat Potatoes?
Here is a table with approximate cooking times for Jamie Oliver’s Duck Fat Potatoes recipe:
|Oven at 375°F||60-70 minutes|
|Oven at 400°F||50-60 minutes|
|Oven at 425°F||40-50 minutes|
|Air Fryer||25-30 minutes|
Note that the actual cooking time may vary depending on the size of your potatoes and your cooking equipment. It’s best to check the potatoes periodically and adjust the cooking time as needed.
🍴 What To Serve With Duck Fat Potatoes?
Jamie Oliver’s Duck Fat Potatoes are a delicious and decadent side dish that pairs well with a variety of main dishes. Here are some ideas for what to serve with duck fat potatoes:
- Roast beef: The rich and savory flavors of the beef are a perfect match for the creamy and crispy potatoes.
- Grilled chicken: The smoky charred flavors of grilled chicken are nicely complemented by the indulgent texture of duck fat potatoes.
- Steak: A juicy steak with a crusty seared exterior pairs beautifully with the creamy and flavorful potatoes.
- Roasted vegetables: Duck fat potatoes are rich and creamy, so pairing them with a lighter side dish like roasted vegetables can help balance out the meal.
- Salad: A fresh and crisp salad can provide a refreshing contrast to the rich and decadent flavors of the duck fat potatoes.
Overall, duck fat potatoes are a versatile side dish that can pair well with a variety of main courses.
🥶 How To Store Leftovers
To store leftovers of Jamie Oliver’s Duck Fat Potatoes, let them cool down to room temperature. Then transfer them to an airtight container or a resealable plastic bag. Label the container or bag with the date, and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
🌡️ How To Reheat Leftovers
Here are a few ways to reheat leftovers of Jamie Oliver’s Duck Fat Potatoes:
- Oven: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Place the potatoes in an oven-safe dish and cover with foil. Heat in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
- Stovetop: Heat a skillet over medium heat and add a small amount of oil or butter. Once hot, add the leftover potatoes and stir occasionally until heated through.
- Microwave: Place the potatoes in a microwave-safe dish and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave on high for 1-2 minutes or until heated through. Stir halfway through.
Note: Reheating in the oven or on the stovetop will help maintain the crispy exterior of the potatoes, while the microwave may result in softer potatoes.
What are the benefits of cooking potatoes in duck fat?
Cooking potatoes in duck fat has a number of benefits. Duck fat has a high smoke point, allowing the potatoes to cook at higher temperatures without burning. The fat also adds a unique flavor to the potatoes, making them more flavorful than potatoes cooked in other fats. Duck fat is also relatively low in saturated fat, so the dish is healthier than many other fried potato dishes.
How long should duck fat potatoes be cooked?
Duck fat potatoes should be cooked for about 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are golden brown and crispy. The exact cooking time will depend on the size of the potato cubes or wedges. If the potatoes are cut into smaller pieces, they will cook faster.
Can duck fat potatoes be made ahead of time?
Yes, duck fat potatoes can be made ahead of time. The potatoes can be prepped and seasoned with duck fat and other seasonings, then stored in the refrigerator until ready to cook. When ready to cook, preheat the oven as directed and then roast the potatoes until golden brown and crispy.
Are duck fat potatoes suitable for vegan diets?
No, duck fat potatoes are not suitable for vegan diets as duck fat is an animal product. However, vegan and vegetarian alternatives can be used in place of duck fat, such as olive oil or coconut oil.