During the colder months of the year, nothing beats a bowl of this butternut squash and sweet potato soup from Jamie Oliver. The roasted squash and potatoes have an irresistible, caramelized taste. Moreover, the soup may be frozen for later use.
Try More Recipes From us:
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s Healthy. Jamie Oliver’s Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup recipe is a healthy and nutritious soup that is full of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. It’s packed with beta-carotene, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and dietary fiber.
- It’s Delicious. This soup is full of flavor, thanks to the combination of butternut squash, sweet potatoes, garlic, and herbs. It’s a comforting and cozy soup that’s perfect for autumn and winter nights.
- It’s Easy To Make. This soup is easy to make and can be prepared in under an hour. It also requires minimal ingredients, so you don’t have to worry about tracking down hard-to-find ingredients. Plus, it’s easy to make it vegetarian or vegan.
Is This Soup Vegan Or Vegetarian?
No, to make it vegetarian or vegan, however, requires only changing only two ingredients. Substitute vegetable oil or coconut oil for the butter, and use vegetable broth instead of chicken stock.
Jamie Oliver Butternut Squash And Sweet Potato Soup Ingredients
Can You Make Butternut Squash And Sweet Potato Soup In An Instant Pot?
Yes, you can make butternut squash and sweet potato soup in an Instant Pot. To do this, first sauté the onion, carrot, and celery in the Instant Pot using the sauté function. Then add the roasted vegetables, spices, and chicken broth. Close the lid and set the Instant Pot to a manual high-pressure cook for 8 minutes. Use the natural release method for 10 minutes then release the pressure manually. Finally, puree the soup and stir in the heavy cream or sour cream before serving.
Is Butternut Squash And Sweet Potato Soup Vegan?
This recipe for butternut squash and sweet potato soup is not vegan as it contains chicken broth and butter. To make it vegan, you can use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth, and substitute the butter with vegan butter or oil.
What Can You Substitute For Butternut Squash In Sweet Potato Soup?
If you don’t have butternut squash, you can substitute it with another type of winter squash such as acorn, kabocha, or delicata. You can also use pumpkin, but note that the flavor will be different.
With some restrictions, either can be utilized. The convenience of pre-cut squash is undeniable, but the size of the individual cubes might vary widely. Don’t use the squash cubes if there are any tiny slivers in the bag, since they will burn in the oven. Butternut squash should be frozen and wiped dry before being roasted, even if purchased fresh. Otherwise, the squash will steam rather than roast and caramelize due to the lost moisture.
How To Make Butternut Squash And Sweet Potato Soup
Roast the vegetables:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add veggies from the roasted vegetables part of the ingredients to a large mixing basin (butternut squash, sweet potato, half an onion, 1 carrot, and garlic).
- Stir in the oil, salt, and pepper until completely combined. Place veggies on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven for 30-45 minutes, or until soft and golden brown. Stir halfway through the baking time.
- Serve hot, with a swirl of heavy cream or sour cream if desired, and/or topped with chosen toppings.
What To Serve With Butternut Squash And Sweet Potato Soup?
- Grilled Cheese Sandwiches. These classic sandwiches bring a delicious salty-savory flavor to the sweet squash and potato soup. Grilled cheese sandwiches can be served on the side or placed on top of the soup for a hearty meal.
- Cornbread. Cornbread is a great pairing for butternut squash and sweet potato soup. Its slight sweetness complements the soup perfectly, and the crumbly texture of the cornbread adds texture to the dish.
- Croutons. Croutons are a classic addition to soup, and they work especially well with butternut squash and sweet potato soup. The crunchy texture of the croutons helps to balance out the creamy texture of the soup.
- Cheddar Cheese. Cheddar cheese is a great way to give the soup an extra flavor kick. Sprinkle some freshly-grated cheddar cheese on top of the soup before serving to add some richness and depth of flavor.
- Sour Cream. A dollop of sour cream can be used to add a creamy texture to the soup and help to mellow out the sweetness of the squash and potato. It also adds a nice tangy flavor to the soup that helps to balance out the flavors.
How To Store Butternut Squash And Sweet Potato Soup?
The best way to preserve leftover butternut squash and sweet potato soup is in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 7 days. Put the chilled Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup in freezer-safe containers, date them and store them in the freezer for up to three months.
How To Reheat Butternut Squash And Sweet Potato Soup?
Butternut squash and sweet potato soup should be thawed in the refrigerator overnight or left out on the counter to come to room temperature before being reheated. Then reheat it in a skillet over low heat. It’s perfect for a mellow evening in the fall or winter.
How To Make This Butternut Squash And Sweet Potato Soup Creamy?
The soup can be made creamy by pureeing some of the cooked vegetables with an immersion blender or in a food processor before adding the heavy cream or sour cream. Alternatively, you can add a small amount of coconut milk or non-dairy milk to the soup for added creaminess.
What Veggies May I Add To Butternut Squash And Sweet Potato Soup?
You can add other vegetables such as leeks, fennel, or parsnips to the soup to enhance the flavor profile and nutritional value.
What Other Spices Complement Butternut Squash And Sweet Potato Soup?
Other spices that complement the flavors of butternut squash and sweet potato include cumin, coriander, ginger, and turmeric. These spices can be added to the soup base to enhance the overall flavor.
- Mars Bar Cake Recipe Jamie Oliver
- Jamie Oliver Chocolate Mandarin Cake
- Cauliflower Risotto Jamie Oliver
Jamie Oliver Butternut Squash And Sweet Potato Soup Nutrition Facts
Amount Per Serving
- Calories 107.3
- Total Fat 0.2g
- Saturated Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 41.5mg
- Potassium 632.2mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9g
- Sugars 0.3g
- Protein 3.8g
- Vitamin A 116.1%
- Vitamin C 34%
- Calcium 4.8%
- Iron 4.6%
Nutrition Facts Source: Source
Serving Size 1
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories 107.3
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat 0.2g1%
- Sodium 41.5mg2%
- Potassium 632.2mg19%
- Total Carbohydrate 26g9%
- Dietary Fiber 4.9g20%
- Sugars 0.3g
- Protein 3.8g8%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily value may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.