This Brussel Sprout Soup dish by Jamie Oliver is creamy, thick, luxurious, and really warm. Simple, flavorful, and nutrient-dense green soup that your body will enjoy.
This tasty homemade Brussel Sprout Soup requires only a few common ingredients and minimum effort to prepare.
Try More Recipes From us:
Why You’ll Love This Soup:
- Very straightforward and quick to prepare.
- Vegetarian, but may easily be adapted to be vegan Low in calories and carbs
- Warm and nourishing, this dish is gluten-free.
- Adaptable; you may use a slow cooker, stovetop oven, or even an Instant Pot to prepare it (pressure cooker)
Jamie Oliver Brussel Sprout Soup Ingredients
- Brussels sprouts: This is self-evident, as there is no soup recipe today that does not include this essential ingredient. Brussels sprouts can be cooked whole, but I find that slicing them in half first makes them easier to manage.
- Potato: The soup may be made without the potatoes, but I prefer to use them since they thicken the soup beautifully on their own, without the need for any additional cream or roux. Select a red potato or another versatile kind.
- Olive oil: Use a neutral-tasting healthy oil or butter instead.
- Onion and garlic: To ensure a flavorful soup, fresh ingredients such as onions and garlic should be used.
- Chicken stock: If you want to make this dish vegetarian, just swap out the chicken stock with vegetable stock. However, not all chicken stock is produced with actual chicken, so be sure to check the ingredients list. Using water is an option, but since it lacks taste, it won’t contribute much to the soup.
- Cheese: You may use pre-grated cheese, but I find that freshly grated cheddar cheese from a block has the best taste and melts wonderfully to create a smooth and creamy texture (make sure it is fresh, not stale).
- Herb de Provence: Italian seasoning can stand in for the missing or forgotten ingredient.
- Red pepper flakes: Cayenne pepper can be used as a replacement for mild but noticeable heat.
- Milk: Evaporated milk was what I had on hand, but you could just as easily use full milk, heavy cream, or even half-and-half. Use a dairy-free milk alternative, such as almond milk or coconut milk, to avoid adding any dairy to the dish.
- Salt and black pepper: Obviously!
Is Brussel Sprout Soup Healthy?
Brussels sprout soup can be a healthy option as it is a low-calorie, nutrient-dense vegetable that is high in fiber, vitamin C, and other antioxidants. The addition of olive oil or butter provides healthy fats, and the use of chicken stock instead of cream can help keep the overall calorie and fat content of the soup lower.
Can Brussel Sprout Soup Be Made In An Instant Pot?
Brussels sprout soup can be made in an instant pot by sautéing the onion, garlic, and Brussels sprouts in olive oil or butter. Then add the chicken stock, diced potatoes, herb de Provence, and red pepper flakes. Set the instant pot to the soup setting and cook for about 20-25 minutes. Once done, blend the soup with a hand blender or in a blender and add the milk and grated cheese.
Other vegetables that can be added to Brussels sprout soup include carrots, celery, and leeks. These vegetables can provide additional flavor and texture to the soup.
How To Make Jamie Oliver Brussel Sprout Soup?
- Warm the olive oil over medium-high heat, then add the chopped onions and garlic and cook until soft and aromatic.
- Sauté the sliced Brussels sprouts, diced potatoes, and Herbs de Provence for about 3 minutes.
- Cover the sautéed veggies with chicken stock, season with salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes, and cover the saucepan.
- Reduce the heat to low and continue to cook until the potatoes and Brussels sprouts are soft (say 10-15 minutes). Remove the saucepan from the heat and purée the soup with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Stir in the milk and grated cheese into the heated soup until melted. Taste and season with salt to taste if necessary. Serve in bowls with additional shaved fresh brussels sprouts and crusty bread or toasted grilled cheese. Enjoy!
What To Serve With Brussels Sprout Soup?
- Garlic Croutons. Toasted cubes of bread tossed with garlic and butter, these crunchy croutons add texture and flavor to the soup.
- Bacon Bits. Bacon adds a salty, smoky flavor to the soup and provides a contrast to the sweet flavor of the Brussels sprouts.
- Parmesan Cheese. Grated Parmesan cheese adds a savory finish to the soup, as well as a hint of creaminess.
- Sour Cream. A dollop of sour cream adds richness to the soup and helps to balance out the flavors.
- Fresh Herbs. Fresh herbs such as parsley, chives, or thyme add a bright, herbal flavor to the soup.
- Mexican-Style Brussel Sprout Soup. Add diced jalapeños and cilantro to the mix with onions and garlic. Substitute the stock for a spicy tomato-based broth. Top with a sprinkle of cheese and sour cream.
- Indian-Style Brussel Sprout Soup. Use ghee or butter in place of olive oil, and add garam masala, turmeric, and cumin to the mix. Serve with warm naan bread.
- Asian-Style Brussel Sprout Soup. Replace the stock with miso broth or vegetable stock. Add thinly sliced mushrooms, bok choy, and snow peas. Top with sesame seeds.
- Mediterranean-Style Brussel Sprout Soup. Add sun-dried tomatoes and feta cheese to the mix. Drizzle with olive oil and serve with a warm pita.
- Roasted Brussel Sprout Soup. Roast the Brussels sprouts and onions in the oven before adding them to the soup. Top with grated Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley.
- Creamy Brussel Sprout Soup. Add a cup of cream or coconut milk to the mix when blending. Serve with a dollop of crème fraiche and a sprinkle of smoked paprika.
- Cheesy Brussels Sprout Soup. Add grated cheddar cheese to the mix and top with extra cheese before serving. Serve with a side of garlic toast.
Can I Make This Brussel Sprout Soup Ahead?
Yes, brussels sprout soup may be made in advance. Keeping it in the fridge for 3 days is ideal, but it may last up to 5 days if stored properly.
How To Store Brussels Sprout Soup?
- In The Fridge. To store Brussel Sprout Soup, transfer it to an airtight container and refrigerate. The soup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- In The Freezer. To freeze Brussel Sprout Soup, transfer it to an airtight container or a resealable freezer bag. Be sure to remove as much air as possible from the container or bag to prevent freezer burn. The soup can be frozen for up to 3 months.
- To Reheat. To reheat Brussel Sprout Soup, transfer it to a pot and heat over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Alternatively, you can transfer the soup to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave it on high power for 2-3 minutes or until it’s heated through.
What Type Of Cheese Goes Well In Brussel Sprout Soup?
Cheddar cheese is a great choice for Brussels sprout soup, as it adds a nice creamy texture and a sharp, nutty flavor. However, you can also use other types of cheese such as Gruyere, Parmesan, or blue cheese.
What Type Of Broth Is Best For Brussel Sprout Soup?
The best type of broth for Brussels sprout soup is chicken stock, as it provides a nice depth of flavor without being too heavy. Vegetable stock can also be used if you want a vegetarian option.
- Jamie Oliver Slow Cooker Pumpkin Soup
- Jamie Oliver Asian Chicken Noodle Soup
- Jamie Oliver 30 Minute Tomato Soup Meal
Jamie Oliver Brussel Sprout Soup Nutrition Facts
Amount Per Serving
- Calories 106.3
- Total Fat 2.9g
- Saturated Fat 0.4g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 26.7mg
- Potassium 494.7mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.8g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7g
- Sugars 1.6g
- Protein 3.9g
- Vitamin A 9.2%
- Vitamin C 85.2%
- Calcium 3.9%
- Iron 7.7%
Nutrition Facts Source: Source
Serving Size 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value *
- Saturated Fat 0.4g2%
- Dietary Fiber 3.7g15%
- Sugars 1.6g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily value may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.