Prepare a hearty and flavorful fish stew in only 15 minutes with this recipe from Jamie Oliver. If you have 15 minutes to spare, you may make a lovely meal of shrimp and fish in a tomato-based broth using this recipe.
Try More Recipes From us:
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It Is Incredibly Easy To Make. All you need is 15 minutes, a handful of ingredients, and a few basic cooking skills and you can whip up a delicious and nutritious meal.
- Packed With Nutritious Ingredients. The recipe includes fish, potatoes, tomatoes, onions, garlic, and herbs, all of which are great sources of vitamins and minerals.
- Healthy And Delicious. This fish stew is a great way to get your daily dose of omega-3 fatty acids and other beneficial nutrients, without sacrificing flavor.
Jamie Oliver 15-Minute Fish Stew Ingredients
- Canned stewed tomatoes. Tomatoes used in a stew have already been cooked in part and seasoned with sugar, herbs, and other ingredients.
- Spicy V-8 juice. Spruces up the stew with a hint of heat and a boost of tomato flavor. If you can’t get V-8 juice, you may use any other fruit juice and spice it up with 1/2 teaspoon of hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco.
- Shrimp. Use 1 lb of shrimp; medium shrimp are more cost-effective but any size will do.
- Cod. Cod is characterized by a crisp, flaky texture and a mild, white flavor. Pollock, haddock, grouper, halibut, or tilapia can be used in place of cod if you can’t locate any.
Can I Make A Fish Stew In A Slow Cooker?
Yes, you can make a fish stew in a slow cooker. Start by sautéing vegetables such as bell pepper, celery, onion, and garlic in a pan with olive oil. Then transfer them to the slow cooker along with canned tomatoes, water, salt, black pepper, and spicy V-8 juice. Add the fish (shrimp and cod) on top and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
Vegetables that are good to add to fish stew include bell peppers, celery, onion, garlic, potatoes, and tomatoes. You can also add carrots, fennel, and leeks for more depth of flavor.
What Type Of Broth Is Best For A Fish Stew?
A fish stew can be made with a variety of broths. Fish stock or light chicken stock is a good option. Vegetable stock or water can also be used.
How To Make Jamie Oliver 15 Minute Fish Stew
- Heat the oil in a big saucepan over medium heat until it is hot.
- Cook, stirring regularly, for 5 to 6 minutes, or until the pepper, celery, and onion are softened and lightly browned.
- Cook for 1 minute, stirring regularly, after adding the garlic.
- Add the stewed tomatoes, vegetable juice, water, salt, and pepper to taste. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and cover for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cod and shrimp gently. Cover and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the fish and shrimp are barely opaque throughout.
What To Serve With Fish Stew?
How To Store Fish Stew?
- In The Fridge. The best way to store a 15-Minute Fish Stew is to refrigerate it in an airtight container. Make sure to let the stew cool to room temperature before transferring it to the container. Always label and date the container for easy identification.
- In The Freezer. The best way to freeze a 15-Minute Fish Stew is to transfer it to an airtight freezer-safe container. Make sure to leave an inch of space in the container for expansion when freezing. Label and date the container for easy identification.
- To Reheat. The best way to reheat a 15-Minute Fish Stew is to transfer it to a heat-proof container and heat it in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Alternatively, you can heat it up in the microwave. Always check to make sure the stew is hot before consuming it.
- Mexican-Style Fish Stew. Use a spicier tomato sauce and add chili peppers, garlic, and a blend of Mexican spices like cumin, oregano, and coriander. Serve with a dollop of guacamole, sour cream, and a handful of freshly chopped coriander leaves.
- Coconut Curry Fish Stew. Spice it up with a curry paste made with ginger, garlic, and coconut milk. Serve with a lime wedge and a sprinkle of toasted coconut flakes.
- Italian-Style Fish Stew. Use a garlicky tomato sauce and add olives, capers, basil, and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. Serve with a side of crusty Italian bread and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Seafood Stew. Add a variety of seafood like mussels, shrimp, and squid to the stew. Serve with a side of crusty bread to dip into the broth.
- Greek-Style Fish Stew. Use a tomato sauce with white wine, garlic, and oregano. Add a few slices of lemon and a sprinkle of feta cheese. Serve with a side of pita bread and a Greek salad.
- Thai-Style Fish Stew. Use a spicier tomato sauce and add Thai red curry paste, fish sauce, and a sprinkle of fresh herbs like lemongrass and cilantro. Serve with a side of sticky rice and a squeeze of lime.
- Mediterranean-Style Fish Stew. Use a tomato sauce with white wine and add olives, capers, and a blend of Mediterranean herbs like oregano and thyme. Serve with a side of crusty bread and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
- Indian-Style Fish Stew. Use a creamy tomato sauce and add ginger, garlic, and a blend of Indian spices like turmeric, cumin, and coriander. Serve with a side of naan bread and a dollop of yogurt.
How Do I Thicken A Fish Stew?
One way to thicken a fish stew is by adding a small amount of flour or cornstarch to the stew and stirring it in. Another method is to blend a portion of the stew in a blender or food processor and then return it to the pot.
What Type Of Fish Is Best For A Fish Stew?
The best types of fish for a stew are firm-fleshed fish such as cod, haddock, halibut, or salmon.
How Do I Make Fish Stew Creamy?
To make fish stew creamy, you can add heavy cream or sour cream to the stew after it has been blended. You can also add cream cheese or mascarpone cheese to the stew while it’s still hot and then blend it until smooth.
Can I Use Canned Fish For A Fish Stew?
Yes, you can use canned fish for a fish stew. It’s a convenient and cost-effective option.
What Kind Of Potatoes Should I Use For Fish Stew?
For fish stew, you can use any type of potato, including Yukon Gold, Red Potatoes, or Russet Potatoes. Cut them into small cubes and add them to the stew during the last 30 minutes of cooking.
Try More Recipes:
Jamie Oliver 15-Minute Fish Stew Nutrition Facts
Amount Per Serving
- Calories 210
- Total Fat 2.8g
- Saturated Fat 0.6g
- Cholesterol 163mg
- Sodium 1690mg
- Potassium 794mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6g
- Sugars 7.4g
- Protein 29g
- Vitamin A 23%
- Vitamin C 54%
- Calcium 8.1%
- Iron 11%
Nutrition Facts Source: Source
Serving Size 1
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories 210
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat 2.8g5%
- Saturated Fat 0.6g3%
- Cholesterol 163mg55%
- Sodium 1690mg71%
- Potassium 794mg23%
- Total Carbohydrate 13g5%
- Dietary Fiber 2.6g11%
- Sugars 7.4g
- Protein 29g58%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily value may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.