There are three ways to make Hoyt’s Kitchen Chicken and Dumplings Recipe today: on the stovetop, in a Crock Pot, and in an Instant Pot.
Similarly, these dumplings are wrapped and chopped into thick noodles that boil and thicken the liquid. However, the feel them is quite dissimilar.
Try More Recipes From us:
What Are Hoyt’s Kitchen Chicken And Dumplings?
The deep South’s version of comfort food, chicken and dumplings, is a must-have. Basically, it’s a rich, creamy chicken stew with pillowy dumplings, which is what this dish is. A broth is used to boil the dumplings, which are then spiced to taste.
Drop Dumplings Vs Noodle Dumplings
Dumplings made from drop biscuits have a bread-like core. They provide a bit more variety to a Chicken Dumplings Recipe by adding a different texture.
Dumplings produced in the noodle form are delicate and soft, similar to handmade fat noodles. As a result, this Chicken and Dumplings dish resembles a thicker version of Chicken Noodle Soup in flavor and texture.
Is there an advantage to one over the other?
Even so, because I’ve already posted this recipe for Hoyt’S Kitchen Chicken and Dumplings, I decided to make a slightly different version of the dish today.
Can I Make Hoyt’s Kitchen Chicken And Dumplings In The Instant Pot?
Hoyt’s Kitchen Chicken and Dumplings may also be made in an Instant Pot. Most importantly, keep in mind that the entire dish may not fit in your electric pressure cooker, depending on its size.
Ingredients That You’ll Need:
For the Chicken Soup Base:
- Boneless chicken thighs and breasts – Although I prefer to use both light and dark meat, and would work.
- Butter – To bring out the flavor of the vegetables and provide a layer of richness.
- Onion, Celery, and Carrots – To achieve a rich, tangy taste.
- Fresh Thyme Leaves – To give the dish a touch of herbiness. Dried thyme will work just as well.
- Bay Leaf – For a deeper herby note.
- Chicken Stock – The base of the gravy.
- Parsley – To provide a touch of freshness towards the end.
For the Dumplings:
Can I Make Hoyt’s Kitchen Chicken And Dumplings Gluten-free?
With a gluten-free 1-to-1 baking flour mix, this Hoyt’s Kitchen Chicken and Dumplings dish may easily be made gluten-free. When making noodle-style dumplings, it is important to keep in mind that they do not hold up nearly as well when prepared using gluten-free flour as they do when made with all-purpose flour.
So make sure to serve it straight away so that the dumplings don’t fall apart and lose their flavor. Despite this, gluten-free drop-biscuit-style dumplings hold up rather nicely! Instead of rolling and cutting the dough, you may use this same recipe (made with GF flour). Then, drop small clumps of the dough into the soup base.
How To Make Hoyt’s Kitchen Chicken And Dumplings?
- Heat a big 6-8 quart saucepan on medium. Add the onions and butter. Sauté for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add the celery and carrots and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- To the saucepan, add the chicken pieces, thyme, bay leaf, and broth. 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper, to taste (Set aside the parsley for later.) Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and cover. Cook for around 20-25 minutes.
Crock Pot Instructions:
- To prepare chicken dumplings in the slow cooker, sauté the onions in butter on the stovetop first. Then, in a big 6+ quart crock pot, combine the butter and onions. In the slow cooker, combine the vegetables, all herbs, chicken pieces, broth, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper. Cook for 8-10 hours on low or 5-6 hours on high, covered.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the broth around 30 minutes before supper. Then, as stated in steps 3 and 4, mix and cut the dumplings. Cook for 10-15 minutes after stirring them into the boiling liquid.
- While the dumplings are cooking, shred the chicken with two forks. Return the shredded chicken to the pot. Stir, taste, and season with salt as desired. Turn off the heat when the soup has thickened into the gravy and serve!
Instant Pot Instructions:
- You will need at least the 6-quart Instant Pot to create this recipe. Alternatively, you may use the slider above to change the ingredients to half the recipe for tiny pots.
- Place the butter and onions in the Instant Pot and set it to Sauté. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Then, to the saucepan, add the chicken pieces, celery, carrots, thyme, bay leaf, and broth. 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper, to taste Set the lid to Pressure and lock it into place. Cook for 8 minutes on high.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dumplings as suggested in steps 3 and 4.
- Perform a rapid release after the Instant Pot timer has expired. When the steam valve button is depressed, the lid can be safely opened. Using tongs, remove the chicken pieces.
- Return the Instant Pot to Sauté mode and stir in the dumplings. Allow for an 8-10 minute simmer. While they’re cooking, shred the chicken with two forks. Then combine the dumplings with the shredded chicken and parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
What To Serve With Hoyt’s Kitchen Chicken And Dumplings?
As a dinner in itself, chicken and dumplings are an excellent choice. However, if you’d like to have a little something more, you may go for:
How Long Do Leftover Hoyt’s Kitchen Chicken And Dumplings Last?
Hoyt’s Kitchen Chicken and Dumplings can be kept in an airtight jar in the refrigerator for up to five days.
Can I Freeze Hoyt’s Kitchen Chicken And Dumplings?
Hoyt’s Kitchen Chicken and Dumplings can be frozen for up to 6 months in an airtight container. Then let the dumplings defrost completely at room temperature before reheating. To reheat, use a medium-sized stovetop pan with a little bit of oil.
If The Soup Doesn’t Thicken, What Should I Do?
In most cases, the base thickens when a little quantity of flour from the dumplings simmers in the broth. Adding the dumplings will be easier if you coat them in more flour first.
Most likely, you cooked them for much too long or stirred them excessively. Turn off the heat after the dumplings are cooked through, and stir the soup gently as required.
Hoyt’s Kitchen Chicken And Dumplings Nutrition Facts
Amount Per Serving
- Calories 339
- Total Fat 18g
- Saturated Fat 7.7g
- Trans Fat 0.3g
- Cholesterol 102mg
- Sodium 817mg
- Potassium 424mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21g
- Dietary Fiber 2g
- Sugars 3.2g
- Protein 23g
- Vitamin A 77%
- Vitamin C 7%
- Calcium 12%
- Iron 13%
Try More Recipes:
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories 339
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat 18g28%
- Saturated Fat 7.7g39%
- Trans Fat 0.3g
- Cholesterol 102mg34%
- Sodium 817mg35%
- Potassium 424mg13%
- Total Carbohydrate 21g8%
- Dietary Fiber 2g8%
- Sugars 3.2g
- Protein 23g46%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily value may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.