Ham and Potato Soup is a hearty and comforting dish that is perfect for a cold winter day. This recipe, from popular food blogger and television personality Ree Drummond (also known as The Pioneer Woman), is easy to make and packed with flavor. The soup features diced potatoes, ham, and a variety of vegetables, all simmered in a rich broth. It’s a great way to use up leftover ham from a holiday meal and can be served as a main course or a starter. The Pioneer Woman’s recipe is sure to be a hit with your family and friends.
Try More Recipes From us:
Why You’ll Love This Ham And Potato Soup Pioneer Woman
You’ll love this Ham and Potato Soup recipe from The Pioneer Woman for a few reasons.
- It’s a delicious and comforting dish that is perfect for a cold winter day. The combination of diced potatoes, ham, and vegetables simmered in a rich broth creates a warm and satisfying meal.
- It’s a great way to use up leftover ham from a holiday meal. The recipe makes use of diced ham, so it’s an easy way to use up any leftover ham from Easter, Thanksgiving or Christmas.
- It’s an easy recipe to make. The soup comes together quickly and doesn’t require any complex techniques or hard-to-find ingredients. The Pioneer Woman has a knack for creating simple and flavorful recipes that are approachable for home cooks.
- It’s a versatile recipe. It can be served as a main course or as a starter, making it perfect for a variety of meal occasions. It can be garnished with cheese, green onion, bacon or sour cream to change up the flavour profile.
What Is Ham And Potato Soup?
Ham and potato soup is a hearty, comforting soup made with diced potatoes, diced ham, and other ingredients such as onions, celery, and seasonings, simmered together in a broth or stock base. It is a staple soup in many cultures and countries, with variations depending on the region and personal preferences. Some versions may include additional vegetables such as carrots, corn, or green beans, and may also include a dairy component such as cream or milk.
Ham And Potato Soup Pioneer Woman Ingredients
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock
- 2 cups diced cooked ham
- 3 cups diced potatoes
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
How To Make Ham And Potato Soup Pioneer Woman
- In a large pot, bring the broth or stock to a simmer over medium heat.
- Add the cooked ham, potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, and garlic to the pot.
- In a separate pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour to create a paste.
- Gradually add the milk to the butter and flour mixture, whisking constantly until the mixture thickens.
- Stir the milk mixture into the pot with the vegetables and ham.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer the soup for an additional 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Serve hot.
- To add more depth of flavor to the soup, try using chicken stock instead of water or broth.
- If you want a creamier soup, you can add more milk or even heavy cream.
- To make the soup heartier, you can add some cooked, diced chicken or other meats.
- If you prefer a thicker soup, you can add more flour or use a roux, which is equal parts flour and fat (such as butter) cooked together before being added to the soup.
- You can also add in different vegetables or herbs such as corn, green beans, or thyme to change the flavor profile of the soup.
- If you’re looking for a little bit of heat, you can add a pinch of cayenne pepper or a diced jalapeño pepper with the vegetables.
- To thicken the soup you can use corn starch instead of flour, this way you avoid the gluten and make it more suitable for gluten-free diet.
- if you want to make it vegan you can use vegetable broth and non-dairy milk and any vegan meat substitute.
What To Serve With Ham And Potato Soup?
Ham and potato soup is a hearty and comforting dish that pairs well with a variety of side dishes. Some popular options include:
- Crusty bread: A warm, crusty loaf of bread is the perfect companion for a bowl of soup. Try dipping the bread in the soup or spreading butter or a pesto on top.
- Salad: A simple green salad with a light vinaigrette can provide a refreshing contrast to the rich and creamy soup.
- Grilled cheese sandwich: A classic grilled cheese sandwich makes for the perfect comfort food pairing with the ham and potato soup
- Croutons: Adding some croutons on top of the soup can add some texture and extra flavor, you can make them from the bread as well.
- Cheese: Some shredded cheese melted on top of the soup, like cheddar or gouda, can also be a great addition to the flavor.
- Crackes: You can serve some crackers alongside the soup or even put them in the soup if you like.
- Beverages : A mug of hot cocoa or warm apple cider or glass of chilled white wine can also be a great complement to the soup.
How To Store Ham And Potato Soup?
Ham and potato soup can be stored in the refrigerator or freezer for later use. Here are a few tips for storing the soup properly:
- Allow the soup to cool to room temperature before storing it in the refrigerator or freezer.
- Transfer the cooled soup to an airtight container or resealable plastic bag.
- If you are storing the soup in the refrigerator, it will keep for up to 4 days. Make sure to reheat it properly before serving, do not boil it as that can cause the potato to become mushy.
- If you are storing the soup in the freezer, it will keep for up to 3 months. To thaw the frozen soup, transfer it to the refrigerator overnight or place it in a pot and reheat it over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Be aware that freezing and thawing can affect the texture of potatoes, it may become mushy.
- The best way to avoid mushy potatoes is to only partially cook them before freezing the soup, this way when you thaw and reheat it, you’ll finish the cooking process.
How To Reheat Ham And Potato Soup?
There are several ways to reheat ham and potato soup, depending on your preference and the tools you have available. Here are a few options:
Can I use other types of potatoes in this soup?
Yes, you are free to use any variety of potato you choose, from Yukon Gold potatoes to red potatoes and anything in between. You can even use russet potatoes if you want. There are no limitations placed on the types of potatoes that can be used.
Can I use canned vegetables instead of fresh vegetables in this soup?
If you like, you can use canned vegetables instead. Yes, it is an option. Before adding them to the soup, just make sure you rinse them and drain any excess liquid from them.
Can I make this soup gluten-free?
You can make this soup gluten-free by thickening it with gluten-free all-purpose flour or corn starch rather than ordinary flour. This will allow you to avoid the gluten that is found in conventional flour.
Can I use bacon instead of ham in this soup?
There is no reason why you couldn’t substitute ham with bacon in this soup. Before adding the bacon to the soup, just make sure to fry it up till it’s nice and crispy, then crumble it up.
Can I make this soup in a slow cooker?
There is a possibility that you might prepare this soup in a slow cooker. Be sure to sauté the vegetables and make the roux on the stovetop before putting them and the other ingredients to the slow cooker, as this will ensure the best flavor.
Can I add cream to make the soup creamier?
It is possible to have a creamier consistency for the soup by including additional milk or even full-fat heavy cream in the recipe.
Ham And Potato Soup Pioneer Woman Nutrition Facts
|utrient||Amount per serving|