This Chicken Tortilla Casserole from The Pioneer Woman is a hearty, flavorful, and comforting one-dish meal that is sure to be a hit with the entire family. It’s packed with chicken, cheese, and a flavorful blend of roasted vegetables and spices, all topped with crunchy tortilla strips. It’s easy to make and is ready in just over an hour. Serve it with a side of fresh salsa and sour cream for an unforgettable meal.
Try More Recipes:
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole Pioneer Woman
- Pioneer Woman Chicken And Dressing Casserole
- Pioneer Woman Chicken Stuffing Casserole
Why You Will Love This Chicken Tortilla Casserole Pioneer Woman
- Easy to make: This casserole is quick and easy to assemble, making it perfect for busy weeknights.
- Delicious: The combination of tender chicken, flavorful spices, creamy cheese, and crunchy tortillas creates a delicious meal that the whole family will love.
- Versatile: You can easily customize this casserole to your tastes by adding different ingredients like black beans, corn, or peppers.
- Affordable: This casserole uses simple ingredients that are usually inexpensive, making it a budget-friendly meal.
- One-pan meal: This casserole requires minimal cleanup as everything is cooked and served in one dish.
What Is Chicken Tortilla Casserole?
Chicken Tortilla Casserole is a Mexican-style casserole dish, typically made with layers of corn tortillas, chicken, cheese, and various vegetables and spices. The dish is usually topped with a tomato-based sauce, and can be served as a main course or side dish.
What Is Chicken Tortilla Casserole Pioneer Woman Ingredients?
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 1 can (10 ounces) red enchilada sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) diced green chiles
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend
How To Make Chicken Tortilla Casserole Pioneer Woman
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, enchilada sauce, green chiles, onion, bell pepper, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper.
- Lay out the tortillas and spread about 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture onto each one.
- Roll up the tortillas and place them seam-side down in the prepared baking dish. Pour any remaining chicken mixture over the top of the tortillas.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top of the enchiladas.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the enchiladas are heated through. Serve warm.
- Use Rotisserie chicken for an easy shortcut.
- Use a combination of cheeses to give your casserole more flavor. Try a mix of cheddar, Monterey Jack, and pepper Jack.
- Precook your tortillas to make them easier to layer in the casserole. Place them in a dry skillet over medium heat for a few minutes, flipping them occasionally until they’re lightly golden and pliable.
- For an extra layer of crunch, top the casserole with crushed tortilla chips before baking.
- Add some extra flavor to your casserole with a few tablespoons of diced green chilies, jalapeno peppers, or salsa.
- Make sure to let your casserole cool for at least 5 minutes before serving. This will give the cheese time to set and make it easier to cut into neat slices.
What To Serve With Chicken Tortilla Casserole Pioneer Woman?
- Mexican Rice: Mexican rice is a delicious side dish that pairs nicely with Chicken Tortilla Casserole. It is a simple dish that consists of long grain rice cooked in tomato sauce, garlic, onion, and various spices.
- Refried Beans: Refried beans are another great side dish to serve alongside Chicken Tortilla Casserole. They can be made from scratch or purchased canned. Refried beans are usually made with pinto beans and are cooked with onions, garlic, and spices.
- Salad: A simple side salad is a great way to add some extra vegetables to your meal. A simple lettuce and tomato salad is a great option, or you could get creative and make a Mexican-inspired salad with black beans, corn, and peppers.
- Guacamole: Guacamole is always a favorite side dish to serve with Mexican-inspired dishes. It is made with avocados, tomatoes, onions, garlic, and a variety of spices. It is best served cold and can be used as a dip or topping.
- Mexican Cornbread: Mexican cornbread is a great way to add a little sweetness to your meal. It is made with cornmeal, butter, and a variety of spices. It is often served warm with a dollop of butter on top.
How To Store Chicken Tortilla Casserole Pioneer Woman?
store your Chicken Tortilla Casserole from The Pioneer Woman, you can store it in the fridge for up to 3 days and in the freezer for up to 3 months. To store in the refrigerator, let the casserole cool completely before transferring to an airtight container or wrap it in plastic wrap. To store in the freezer, wrap the casserole tightly in aluminum foil, label it with the date, and freeze for up to 3 months. To reheat, transfer the casserole to a baking dish and bake in a 350-degree oven until heated through.
How To Thaw Chicken Tortilla Casserole?
If you are looking to thaw your chicken tortilla casserole, the best way to do so is to move the casserole from the freezer to the refrigerator at least 24 hours before you plan to eat it. This will allow for slow and safe thawing. Alternatively, you can also thaw the casserole in the microwave. Place the casserole in a microwave-safe dish and defrost on the defrost setting for several minutes. Make sure to stir the casserole every few minutes to help distribute the heat evenly. Once the casserole is thawed out, place it in the oven to heat it up and enjoy your meal!
How To Reheat Chicken Tortilla Casserole?
In The Oven:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place the chicken tortilla casserole in an oven-safe dish.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- Place dish in preheated oven and heat for 20-25 minutes, or until casserole is heated through.
In The Microwave:
Is it OK to put raw chicken in a casserole?
You may make this dish with chicken breasts, chicken thighs, or really any other type of chicken that has been left over. Because the bacteria will be destroyed as soon as the dish reaches 160 degrees Fahrenheit, raw chicken can be used without fear. Having said that, you need to keep in mind that raw chicken will require a lengthier cooking time.
Should Chicken Casserole be covered or uncovered?
In most cases, uncovered baking is required for casseroles that contain already-cooked ingredients. Make sure the casserole is exposed to the oven for at least some of the cooking time if you want the top to get browner and crispier.
How do you know when chicken casserole is done?
However, according to Kitchen Seer, there is really just one way to know for certain if your casserole is ready, and that is by using a food thermometer. You are going to need to make sure that the temperature on the inside is at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
What type of tortillas should I use for chicken tortilla casserole?
You can use any type of tortilla for your chicken tortilla casserole, including flour, corn, or even small taco shells. It all depends on your preference.
Can I use pre-cooked chicken for my casserole?
Yes, you can definitely use pre-cooked chicken for your casserole. Just make sure it is fully cooked before adding it to your casserole.
Can I add other ingredients to my chicken tortilla casserole?
Yes, you can definitely add other ingredients to your casserole. Try adding some veggies, like corn, bell peppers, onions, or even jalapenos to give it more flavor.
- Pioneer Woman Chicken Rice Casserole
- Chicken Noodle Casserole Pioneer Woman
- Pioneer Woman Broccoli Chicken Rice Casserole
Chicken Tortilla Casserole Pioneer Woman Nutrition Fact
- Calories: 360
- Fat: 14g
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Protein: 22g
- Sodium: 690mg
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugars: 3g
Image Source: Source