Buffalo chicken casserole is a delicious and comforting dish that combines the bold flavor of buffalo sauce with tender chunks of chicken and a creamy, cheesy base. The Pioneer Woman’s version of this popular dish is sure to please with its easy-to-follow recipe and bold, savory flavors.
This dish can be a great option for those who are looking for something that is easy to make but packed with flavor, perfect for a weeknight dinner or a casual gathering with friends. The dish is perfect for hot sauce lovers and is sure to be a hit with anyone who loves a little spice.
Try More Recipes:
- Pioneer Woman Chicken Parmesan Casserole
- Pioneer Woman Chicken Noodle Casserole
- Jalapeno Popper Chicken Casserole Pioneer Woman
There are several reasons why you will love The Pioneer Woman’s buffalo chicken casserole recipe:
- It’s easy to make: The recipe is simple and straightforward, making it perfect for busy weeknight dinners or when you have guests over.
- It’s full of flavor: The buffalo sauce, chicken and cheese make for a delicious and satisfying combination of bold flavors.
- It’s a crowd-pleaser: This dish is perfect for those who love a little spice and is sure to please anyone who loves buffalo chicken.
- It’s customizable: You can adjust the heat level of the buffalo sauce to suit your taste preferences, or add additional vegetables such as celery or carrots for added nutrition.
- It’s comfort food: The creamy and cheesy base make for a comforting and satisfying meal that is perfect for cold days or when you are craving something hearty.
- Perfect for leftovers: The casserole reheats well, making it perfect for leftovers and meal prepping.
- Budget-friendly : The ingredients in this recipe are relatively inexpensive and easy to find.
Overall, The Pioneer Woman’s buffalo chicken casserole recipe is a quick, easy and satisfying dish that will become a go-to recipe in your home.
What Is Buffalo Chicken Casserole?
Buffalo chicken casserole is a dish that combines the bold and spicy flavors of buffalo sauce with tender chunks of chicken, usually mixed with cheese, pasta or potatoes and then baked in a casserole dish. The dish is typically made by cooking chicken (usually boneless and skinless) in a buffalo sauce, which is a blend of hot sauce, butter, and spices. Then it’s combined with pasta, potatoes, or cheese. The casserole is then baked in an oven and served hot.
The dish can be considered a variation of buffalo chicken dip and buffalo chicken wing, but in casserole form, it’s a satisfying and comforting dish that combines all the bold flavors of buffalo chicken in one convenient, easy to eat and transport, serving dish. It is often served as a main course, but can also be served as a side dish or appetizer.
What Is Pioneer Woman Buffalo Chicken Casserole Ingredients?
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 3 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buffalo wing sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 cups cooked elbow macaroni
How To Make Pioneer Woman Buffalo Chicken Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and black pepper. Place the flour, beaten eggs, and panko bread crumbs in separate shallow dishes. Dredge the chicken breasts in the flour, dip them in the eggs, and then coat them in the panko bread crumbs.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken breasts and cook until golden brown and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Remove the chicken from the skillet and let it cool.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the buffalo wing sauce, sour cream, blue cheese crumbles, shredded cheddar cheese, and parsley.
- Once the chicken has cooled, chop it into bite-sized pieces. Add the chicken, buffalo sauce mixture, and cooked elbow macaroni to the greased baking dish and stir to combine.
- Bake the casserole in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until it’s hot and bubbly.
- Serve the casserole hot, garnished with fresh parsley or extra blue cheese crumbles, if desired.
This buffalo chicken casserole is a perfect comfort food, hearty, flavorful and satisfying. You can adjust the heat level of the buffalo sauce to suit your taste preference, and you can use different type of pasta or cheese as well.
Here are a few tips to help you make the best buffalo chicken casserole:
- Use cooked and shredded chicken instead of uncooked chicken breasts to save time on cooking, but make sure the chicken is properly cooked and seasoned before adding it to the casserole
- For a little extra texture and flavor, consider adding diced celery or carrots to the casserole
- To customize the heat level, start with a small amount of buffalo sauce and add more as needed. you could use a mix of hot sauce and BBQ sauce to get the perfect balance of heat and sweetness.
- Use full-fat sour cream and cheese for a richer, creamier casserole.
- To make the casserole a little healthier, you can use whole wheat pasta or add some vegetables like broccoli or bell pepper.
- The casserole can be made ahead of time and refrigerated or frozen for later use.
- For a little extra flavor and color, consider topping the casserole with a sprinkle of chopped fresh parsley or green onions before serving.
- It’s best to serve the casserole hot with a side of your choice, it goes well with a salad, garlic bread or with some nice cooked vegetables like green beans, carrots or zucchini.
- You can also use crushed corn flakes or crackers instead of panko bread crumbs.
What To Serve With Pioneer Woman Buffalo Chicken Casserole?
The Pioneer Woman’s buffalo chicken casserole is a hearty and flavorful dish that pairs well with a variety of sides. Here are a few options to consider serving with the casserole:
Ultimately, the best side dish for your buffalo chicken casserole will depend on your personal taste, but these options should give you a good starting point.
How To Store Pioneer Woman Buffalo Chicken Casserole?
Here’s how to store The Pioneer Woman’s buffalo chicken casserole in the refrigerator:
- Let the casserole cool to room temperature before storing it.
- Cover the casserole with plastic wrap or foil, or transfer it to an airtight container.
- Label the container or wrap with the date and put it in the refrigerator.
- The casserole will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- When ready to reheat, remove the plastic wrap or foil and place the casserole in a preheated 350 degree Fahrenheit (175 degree Celsius) oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through.
How To Freeze Buffalo Chicken Casserole?
Here’s how to freeze The Pioneer Woman’s buffalo chicken casserole:
When freezing a casserole, it’s always best to use an airtight container or wrap the casserole tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil to prevent freezer burn. Also, make sure to label it with the date, so you know how long it has been in the freezer.
How To Thaw Buffalo Chicken Casserole?
Here’s how to thaw The Pioneer Woman’s buffalo chicken casserole:
- Take the frozen casserole out of the freezer and place it in the refrigerator.
- Let the casserole thaw in the refrigerator overnight. This method is recommended as it thaws the casserole slowly and evenly, preventing the growth of harmful bacteria.
- Alternatively, you can place the casserole in the kitchen counter for about an hour to thaw.
- Once the casserole is thawed, remove it from the plastic wrap or foil.
- Place the casserole in the preheated 350 degree Fahrenheit (175 degree Celsius) oven for about 30-40 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C) for food safety. Covering the top with foil if it starts to brown too quickly.
It’s important to remember that when thawing a casserole, it’s best to do it slowly in the refrigerator to prevent the growth of harmful bacteria. If you decide to thaw the casserole on the counter, make sure to cook it right away.
How To Reheat Buffalo Chicken Casserole?
Here’s how to reheat The Pioneer Woman’s buffalo chicken casserole in the oven and microwave:
Note: If you’re reheating a frozen casserole, make sure to thaw it in the refrigerator overnight or on the kitchen counter for about an hour before reheating it.
How Long To Bake Buffalo Chicken Casserole?
The baking time for The Buffalo Chicken Casserole can vary depending on the size of the baking dish, the temperature of the ingredients, and your oven.
As a general rule, you should expect to bake the casserole for about 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius) or until it is hot and bubbly.
What Is Best Temp To Bake Buffalo Chicken Casserole?
The best temperature to bake The Buffalo Chicken Casserole is 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius). This temperature provides a good balance between heating the casserole through and melting the cheese and other ingredients. This temperature also provides a safe internal temperature for consumption.
Baking the casserole at 350 F (175 C) will give the casserole a nice golden brown crust on top. The cheese will also be melted and bubbly, and the pasta will be cooked to perfection.
Do You Cover Buffalo Chicken Casserole While Baking?
- Whether or not to cover The Pioneer Woman’s Buffalo Chicken Casserole while baking depends on the desired outcome for the casserole’s appearance and texture.
- If you want the cheese on top of the casserole to be golden brown and bubbly, then you don’t need to cover it while baking. Leave the casserole uncovered so that the cheese can melt and form a nice crust on top.
- If you prefer that the casserole stays moist, you can cover it with foil during the baking process. This will help to trap the steam inside the baking dish, keeping the pasta and chicken moist. However, keep in mind that the cheese on top will not get golden brown or bubbly.
- You can try to cover the casserole for half of the baking time and then remove the foil for the last 10-15 minutes of baking, so you get a nice golden brown crust on top, but you keep the pasta and chicken moist.
- It’s always best to check your casserole a few minutes before the suggested cook time and then check it every 5-7 minutes after, this way you can gauge how it is cooking and adjust the cover or lack of it to get the desired outcome.
How Do You Know That Buffalo Chicken Casserole Is Done?
There are several ways to determine if The Pioneer Woman’s Buffalo Chicken Casserole is done:
- Temperature: The most reliable way to determine if the casserole is done is to use a food thermometer. The internal temperature of the casserole should reach 165 degrees Fahrenheit (74 degrees Celsius) to be considered safe to eat.
- Visual: The casserole will be hot, bubbly and golden brown on top. The cheese will be melted and bubbling.
- Cake Tester or Toothpick: Insert a toothpick or cake tester into the center of the casserole. If it comes out clean, the casserole is done.
- Jiggle Test: Gently shake the baking dish, if the casserole is set, and no liquid sloshes around inside, it is done.
- Taste Test: Take a small taste of the pasta. It should be tender and fully cooked, not raw or mushy.
Try More Recipes:
Buffalo Chicken Casserole Pioneer Woman Nutrition Facts
|Serving Size||1 Cup (8 oz)|
Image Source: Source