Barley salad is a delicious and nutritious dish that’s perfect for any season. It’s a filling and hearty salad that’s packed with fiber, protein, and a range of essential vitamins and minerals. Jamie Oliver’s recipe for barley salad is a fresh and flavorful take on this classic dish, featuring a medley of colorful vegetables, herbs, and tangy lemon dressing.
In this article, we’ll explore the benefits of barley salad and how to make Jamie Oliver’s recipe step by step. Whether you’re looking for a healthy lunch option or a side dish to serve at your next dinner party, this barley salad is sure to impress!
More Recipes From us:
- Jamie Oliver Pumpkin Chestnut Soup
- Jamie Oliver Pumpkin And Carrot Soup
- Jamie Oliver Duck Fat Potatoes
💓 Why You’ll Love This Barley Salad Jamie Oliver
- It’s a healthy and nutritious dish packed with fiber, protein, and essential vitamins and minerals.
- It’s a great option for those who are looking for meatless meal ideas or are vegetarian or vegan.
- It’s a versatile dish that can be adapted to suit your taste preferences or dietary needs.
- It’s easy to make and requires only a few simple ingredients.
- It’s a refreshing and filling salad that’s perfect for any season.
- It’s a great option for meal prep as it can be made ahead and stored in the fridge for several days.
- It’s a crowd-pleasing dish that’s perfect for serving at dinner parties or potlucks.
- The combination of colorful vegetables and fresh herbs makes it a visually appealing dish.
- The tangy lemon dressing adds a delicious flavor and complements the earthy flavor of the barley.
- It’s a budget-friendly dish that can be made using pantry staples and seasonal vegetables.
What Is Barley Salad Jamie Oliver Recipe?
Barley salad is a healthy and satisfying dish that is easy to prepare and can be served as a main course or side dish. Jamie Oliver has a popular recipe for barley salad that includes a variety of fresh and flavorful ingredients. While the exact recipe may vary, some common components of Jamie Oliver’s barley salad.
- 1 cup of pearl barley
- 1 large red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 zucchini
- 1 eggplant
- 1/2 cup of pitted black olives
- 1/2 cup of chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup of chopped fresh mint
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
🔪How To Make Barley Salad Jamie Oliver
- Rinse the barley in a fine mesh strainer and transfer it to a large pot. Add 3 cups of water and a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 30-40 minutes or until the barley is tender and chewy.
- While the barley is cooking, prep the vegetables. Peel and slice the onion and garlic, dice the peppers, and cut the zucchini and eggplant into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté for a few minutes until fragrant.
- Add the diced peppers, zucchini, and eggplant to the skillet and cook for about 10-15 minutes until the vegetables are tender and lightly browned.
- Once the barley is cooked, drain any excess water and transfer it to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the sautéed vegetables to the bowl with the barley, along with the black olives, fresh herbs, and lemon juice. Toss everything together until well combined.
- Season the salad with salt and pepper to taste and serve it warm or chilled. Enjoy!
Here are some recipe tips to help you make the most out of Jamie Oliver’s barley salad:
- Use good quality barley: Look for pearled barley that is fresh and free of debris. Rinse the barley well before cooking to remove any dust or dirt.
- Prep your vegetables ahead of time: This recipe requires a lot of vegetable chopping, so it’s helpful to prep everything in advance to save time.
- Cook the barley until tender but not mushy: Make sure to keep an eye on the barley as it cooks, and test it frequently to ensure that it’s cooked to the right consistency.
- Saute the vegetables separately: To ensure that each vegetable is cooked properly and retains its texture, it’s best to sauté them separately before combining them with the barley.
- Use fresh herbs and lemon juice: The fresh parsley, mint, and lemon juice add a bright, zesty flavor to the salad. Use fresh herbs for the best flavor, and adjust the amount of lemon juice to taste.
- Let the salad rest before serving: Letting the salad rest for a little while before serving allows the flavors to meld together and results in a more flavorful dish.
🍴 What To Serve With Barley Salad?
Barley salad is a versatile dish that can be served as a side or a main course. Here are some ideas for what to serve with barley salad:
- Grilled chicken: A grilled chicken breast or thigh is a great protein to serve alongside barley salad.
- Roasted vegetables: Roasted vegetables like carrots, zucchini, and bell peppers complement the nutty flavor of barley.
- Hummus and pita bread: Serve the barley salad with some hummus and warm pita bread for a Middle Eastern-inspired meal.
- Roasted salmon: A roasted salmon fillet pairs well with the fresh herbs and lemon in the barley salad.
- Grilled vegetables: Grilled vegetables like eggplant, squash, and asparagus make a tasty and healthy addition to a barley salad meal.
- Falafel: Serve the barley salad with falafel and tahini sauce for a vegan-friendly meal option.
- Crusty bread: A slice of crusty bread with some olive oil and balsamic vinegar is a perfect accompaniment to a simple barley salad.
🥶 How To Store Leftovers
Barley salad can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Here are some ways to store leftovers:
Make sure to let the barley salad cool down to room temperature before storing it in the refrigerator. Additionally, it’s a good idea to stir the salad before serving to redistribute the dressing and ingredients.
🌡️ How To Reheat Leftovers
Here are some ways to reheat leftover barley salad:
- Microwave: Place the barley salad in a microwave-safe bowl and heat it on high for 1-2 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Oven: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Place the barley salad in an oven-safe dish and cover it with foil. Heat for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
- Stovetop: Heat a skillet over medium heat and add the barley salad. Stir occasionally until heated through.
- Serve cold: If you prefer, you can also serve barley salad cold. Just take it out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature before serving.
It’s important to note that when reheating barley salad, some of the vegetables may become softer and the dressing may become thinner. However, the flavor of the salad should still be delicious. Make sure to stir the salad after reheating to redistribute the dressing and ingredients.
How is barley salad typically served?
Barley salad is usually served cold, although it can be served warm if desired. It is typically served as a side dish or as part of a larger meal. It can also be served as a main course with a protein such as chicken or fish.
What type of dressing should be used with barley salad?
The type of dressing used with barley salad will depend on personal preference. Vinaigrettes, creamy dressings, and tahini-based dressings are all good options.
Can Barley Salad be made ahead of time?
Yes, Barley Salad can be made ahead of time. The barley can be cooked up to a day in advance and refrigerated until you are ready to assemble the salad. The vegetables and herbs can also be prepped ahead of time. Before serving, add the vegetables and herbs to the cooked barley and stir to combine.
What herbs can be used in Barley Salad?
Herbs are a great way to add flavor to Barley Salad. Popular choices include parsley, mint, dill, basil, oregano, and chives. You can also use dried herbs to add a more intense flavor. Experiment with different combinations to create a unique flavor.
Can Barley Salad be made vegan?
Yes, Barley Salad can easily be made vegan. Omit the butter or oil used to cook the barley and use vegetable broth instead of water. Use vegan-friendly ingredients, such as tofu, nuts, and seeds, to add protein and flavor.
Try More Recipes:
Barley Salad Jamie Oliver Nutrition Fact
- Calories: 336
- Fat: 11 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 47 g
- Fiber: 11 g
- Protein: 12 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Sodium: 111 mg
- Potassium: 541 mg
- Vitamin A: 60 IU
- Vitamin C: 4.3 mg
- Calcium: 69 mg
- Iron: 3.7 mg