Are you looking for a recipe for turkey chili that is both flavorful and hearty? There is no need to look any further than the Barefoot Contessa’s version of this time-honored cuisine! The turkey chili created by Ina Garten strikes the ideal balance between flavors and textures, thanks to the use of soft ground turkey, a wide variety of beans, and a combination of aromatic spices.
This turkey chili recipe is guaranteed to be a hit at your next get-together, whether you’re searching for a hearty dish to enjoy on a winter night spent inside or you need to prepare food for a large group.
More Recipes From us:
- Barefoot Contessa Vegetarian Chili Recipe
- Ina Garten Beef Chili Recipe
- Chili Mac Recipe Pioneer Woman
💓 Why You’ll Love This Barefoot Contessa Turkey Chili Recipe
There are several reasons why you’ll enjoy the Barefoot Contessa’s turkey chili recipe:
- Healthy and satisfying: This recipe is a healthy and filling option because it contains lean protein from the ground turkey and fiber-rich beans.
- Easy to make: Simple procedures and readily available ingredients make this a breeze to put together.
- Full of flavor: Bold and delicious, this turkey chili is packed with flavor thanks to a combination of spices like cumin, chili powder, and paprika.
- Versatile: This dish is adaptable in that you may change up the spices or use whatever vegetables and beans you have on hand.
In sum, this turkey chili recipe makes a hearty and satisfying meal that is ideal for everything from a quiet night in to a large family get-together.
What Is Barefoot Contessa Turkey Chili Recipe?
The ground turkey, beans, and combination of spices and ingredients in the Barefoot Contessa’s turkey chili recipe give it a substantial and tasty base. Ingredients like onion, garlic, bell peppers, tinned tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, and oregano are standard fare in this dish. The taste of the turkey is enhanced by browning it before adding it to the vegetables and seasonings. Once the turkey is fully cooked, the chili is simmered until the flavors have blended. Cheese, sour cream, and sliced onions are common additions.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions (2 onions)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
🔪How To Make Turkey Chili
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions, red and yellow bell peppers, and garlic. Cook for 10 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, red pepper flakes, paprika, oregano, salt, and pepper. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the ground turkey and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until browned.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and parsley. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the kidney beans and black beans and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with your favorite toppings, such as sour cream, shredded cheese, or avocado. Enjoy!
Some helpful hints for the Barefoot Contessa Turkey Chili recipe:
🍴 What To Serve With Turkey Chili?
Foods that pair well with Barefoot Contessa Turkey Chili include:
- Cornbread: is a traditional accompaniment to chili. Cornbread can be made from scratch or with a mix.
- Rice: Cooked rice is a great way to cut down on the heat and add some variety to your chili.
- Salad: In contrast to the heavy flavors of chili, a crisp salad can be a welcome palate cleanser. Think of a basic green salad dressed with vinaigrette.
- Guacamole and chips: A bowl of chili and a plate of chips with some guacamole and salsa is a perfect combination.
- Baked potatoes: Spread chili over a baked potato and top with cheese, sour cream, and green onions, or any other toppings you like.
- Sandwich: Chili with a warm, melty grilled cheese sandwich are the quintessential winter meals.
🥶 How To Store Leftovers
Barefoot Contessa Turkey Chili, if there is any left over, can be stored in the following ways:
- Refrigerator: If you want to store the chili in the fridge, wait for it to cool to room temperature before transferring it to an airtight container. You may keep it in the fridge for up to four days.
- Freezer: Chili can be frozen for up to three months in the freezer. After the chili has cooled to room temperature, place it in a container designed for freezing or a sturdy freezer bag. Clearly indicate the storage container’s contents and date on the label.
- Individual portions: Separate the chili into servings before keeping it to make reheating it easier. You can reheat what you need from the container without having to thaw the whole thing.
- Mason jars: Individual servings of chili can be stored in mason jars for later use. While storing food in a freezer, it’s important to leave some room at the top of the jar for expansion. Bringing the chili in mason jars to the office or school for lunch is a terrific idea.
- Freeze in ice cube trays: Freeze any leftover chili in ice cube trays if you just have a little bit. It’s easy to remove the chili cubes from the freezer and store them in a freezer-safe container. If you’re looking to spice up your soups and stews, this is a terrific alternative.
🌡️ How To Reheat Leftovers
There are several options for rewarming leftover turkey chili. Here are a few possibilities:
Make sure the chili is heated uniformly by stirring it occasionally, regardless of the cooking method you use. Any leftovers should be stored in the refrigerator as soon as possible after reheating.
Is turkey chili as good as beef?
It is something that is entirely up to the individual. It’s possible that some people enjoy turkey chili, while others are more partial to beef chili. In the end, it is up to the person themselves to select which flavor and kind of chili they enjoy the most.
How to thick turkey chili?
To thicken turkey chili, you can make a paste out of a spoonful of cornstarch and a tablespoon of cold water, and then add the paste to the chili while stirring. To thicken the chili, you can also add some pureed vegetables, like pumpkin or butternut squash, or some cooked and mashed beans. The liquid can be evaporated and the flavors concentrated by letting the chili simmer on low heat for a longer period of time.
How do you fix bland turkey chili?
Add extra chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder if your turkey chili lacks flavor. Adding an acidic component, like lime juice or vinegar, can help bring harmony to the dish. Hot sauce or red pepper flakes are another way to increase the spiciness.
How do you add extra flavor to Turkey Chili?
Combinations of spices and seasonings, such as chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and smoked paprika, can be used to enhance the flavor of turkey chili. Canned chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, and Worcestershire sauce are all excellent additions for a richer flavor. The acidity of lime juice or vinegar, as well as the intensity of hot sauce or red pepper flakes, can greatly improve the chili’s flavor.
Try More Recipes:
Barefoot Contessa Turkey Chili Nutrition Fact
- Calories: 172
- Total Fat: 5.3g
- Saturated Fat: 1.3g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 36mg
- Sodium: 576mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 19.7g
- Dietary Fiber: 6.3g
- Sugars: 5.3g
- Protein: 13.3g